Social Networking? How Much? Where?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just wondering how much, how often, and where others communicate on-line.

Use your own definition... as, perhaps, whether ER is considered social networking.

Facebook, Twitter, Linked in, Forum Posting, Email, etc.

One more thing... networking with people you know... friends, relatives, work related and like that?
My own "networking" including email, has dropped by 90% over the past few years, and I do not use the social network sites. Mostly posting on four or five forums that are interesting to me, and a community website.

I participate in a few message boards/forums. (This one included)
I don't have a facebook account. I have a twitter account, but have never tweeted. I have linkedIn - but that is very clean - strictly about gathering contacts in case I need to do a job hunt before I ER.
Email... 1 main personal account. 1 back up personal account. 1 work account.

I still haven't figured out what value facebook would give me.
But I'll be forced to sign up when my kids are old enough - just to monitor them.

I keep a low profile online. No facebook, no linkedin. I participate here and a lot less at Bogleheads for lack of time.

I do have a facebook account, mostly family members, some friends. I check it a few times a week.

I have work and personal email.

I have several online forums that I visit. This one is the only one that is one of my home pages though. I recently became active again in hosting an online game I used to play a lot. I also have a couple of other forums I go to. I subscribe to several mailing lists as well. I've been active with online forums and mailing lists for many years. The first was way back at Compuserve in the mid 90s where I was Sysop on a forum. For a number of years I was either a mailing list owner or forum administrator/moderator for a number of places. I really enjoyed doing that but due to work reasons cut back on most forums and mailing lists several years ago and gave up my administrative/moderator duties. One thing I've enjoyed with semi-ER is being able to get back into some of the forums and mailing lists again.

1. limited use Facebook account (mostly family),

2. Work & personal e-mail accounts,

3. Fred's TDI VW (diesel forums) - a worldwide forum,

4. This site,

5. Boglehead's site member.

No Landline
Two cell phones.

:dance:

I Tweet, I Instagram, I Facebook, I belong to several forums like this one on other subjects that interest me, I have a Linked In account (same reason Rodi does), and I have 3 personal email addresses. I notice that I don't use email nearly as much as I used to.

I love social networking - when I've had enough I just hit the off button.

This is the only forum I participate in- no Facebook, no Twitter, personal email with my family regularly. No smart phone - use cellphone primarily for business- turn it off when I come home - friends and family can reach me in the evenings on our landline.

I have a Facebook account which I mostly use to keep in touch with friends. I update my Facebook page maybe once or twice a month. No twitter, no LinkedIn (hey I'm retired), no Instagram.

I participate in 4 forums - ER.org mostly, plus 3 others where I post only occasionally. Nowadays, I spend more time behind the green curtain here at ER.org than I do posting on the public forums.

Last edited:
Facebook - read once or twice a day, post occasionally - keep in touch with friends, family, former co-workers, my hometown, etc.
Twitter - read for news and interesting stuff, post occasionally
LinkedIn - stay in touch with former co-workers, also some help to our kids and also kids of friends (and friends of kids)
Forums - ER.org most days, also some RV forums

Constantly connected. Facebook, twitter, 4 email accounts, this forum, and I do have LinkedIn, but don't bother with it much. Also periodically maintain a website blog.

3 email addresses, two are for volunteer activities. Have a Facebook account but only as a placeholder. No twitter. Visit and am a member of two or three other forums, but less frequently than this one, which is the best. No blogs. Have a LinkedIn profile. It has been surprisingly helpful in getting in touch with old friends and even family.

ER is the only forum that I participate in. I read Bogleheads daily and one or two others.

No Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin. My sister is active on Facebook, and some old acquaintances from the town where I grew up have contacted me because she gives out my personal e-mail. I have one personal e-mail account and one at work.

I do keep up with a handful of high school and college friends via personal e-mail but we always stayed in touch through the years, at least minimally. My closest friend from high school is FIRE'd and lives about an hour away so I meet up with her for a bite to eat a couple of times a year.

I think my social networking varies month to month, up and down. Facebook is a unique superior way of keeping in touch with people long-distance, as long as we're all willing to share a little of ourselves along the way, so that doesn't vary as much.

I use Facebook, participate in a couple of forums, read a number of blogs, and haven't been very impressed with Twitter. I ignore LinkedIn and other work related network requests.

I used to be active in windsurfing and scuba newsgroups but not in several years.

Here and Bogleheads only. No Facebook Tweeter, Lincoln or whatever that stuff is. As a matter of fact I'm the only one at my company who doesn't have a smart phone. I joked with a coworker that he should feel priviliged that he one of the few people I have stored in my cricket phone.

I gotta admit, the folks on er.org are the ones I most often "virtual visit". There's some fascinating and enlightening insight to be found here. Other online pass-times are travel sites (e.g. Trip-advisor), Facebook (small group of family & friends - I have reconnected with old high school buddies through it), and City-Data (another fascinating forum). Like most everything else, they're tools that can be useful when used properly.

Have a FB account that I use some, a Twitter account I've never used, and a LinkedIn account I rarely visit.

Fairly active here, and a lurker mostly on bogleheads, crossfit, bike forum, and a couple of others.

Back
Top Bottom