"SOLD" sign posted 3/14

DSK, Congratulations! Maybe you should start a poll on whether to pay down the mortgage or invest the proceeds....:D

Thanks...I don't think I want to start anymore polls, too many of those as of late. The proceeds I never counted as part of our net assets since it wasn't liquid. Now that is it, our current mortgage is 4.5%. Unless I find something close/equal to this rate, I'm almost better of paying down the mortgage.

Closing went fine, got a check and deposited in the bank....now what to do with it, pay down our existing mortgage or invest it?!?
Well, the good news is that you got a check to take home from closing... instead of gong home to bring in a check to closing.

Have you run through a set of calculations to determine whether you owe any estimated 2011 taxes next month on the cap gains? Or are you still within the rollover/exclusion limits?

You'll have to let us know [-]when you pay down the mortgage[/-] what type of equity bargain you find in the stock markets... at this point I'm not even sure I'd want to buy more Berkshire Hathaway.

Well, the good news is that you got a check to take home from closing... instead of gong home to bring in a check to closing.

Have you run through a set of calculations to determine whether you owe any estimated 2011 taxes next month on the cap gains? Or are you still within the rollover/exclusion limits?

You'll have to let us know [-]when you pay down the mortgage[/-] what type of equity bargain you find in the stock markets... at this point I'm not even sure I'd want to buy more Berkshire Hathaway.

I'm sure I'll be well within the home profit exclusion, it's still $250k for single and $500k for married couple as long as you have lived in it 2 of last 5 years, correct? Gross profit is only $195k and my expenses for remodelling isn't over $70k. Since I'm not even close to the single profit limit, I figure it's not even worth fishing for all the old receipts, other than curiosity. Most of the labor was mine, so that I can't expense. I know for the estate house I sold, the net profit was only $68k, and my account said I didn't need to even file to the IRS. I would imagine this won't change my capital gains. Let me know if I'm wrong on this point.

As far as investments, I don't hold any BRK stock, but have a few good stocks that pay out close or above 4.5% rate (MO,GSK,CTL,T,WIN,BMY) and a preferred ETF (PGF) that pays more than this too. On the flip side, there's nothing like paying down/off the mortgage, reduces the monthly obligations and stress.

Wow! They just reported on WBBM 780 radio here in Chicago, we have the 2nd worst # of foreclosures in the country. My agent also mentioned there's a new wave of bank held foreclosures waiting to be unloaded in the very near future too. I'm feeling awlfully lucky to have sold.

Back
Top Bottom