Some random thoughts about life and retirement as we age

That's a well written post, and I think/hope that's where I'll be in a couple of months. I want to keep learning new stuff without the concern of actually having to make any money at it.

I don't have a bucket list of travel, for some reason that just doesn't do anything for me. I've found that I can look at a movie or even just photos and that experience isn't significantly different from being there, or at least not enough to make the bother of travel worthwhile. YMMV.

But I'm going to seriously look at taking classes in photography at the nearby university and see where that road leads. If not that one, there are a bunch of other options available. Options are good.

Reactions: W2R
Happy Birthday W2R and am glad to have read such a successful story, outlook and feeling such as yours!! Rich

That's great, W2R! Life IS good!

Like Frayne alluded to...Happiness is derived internally. I don't see how travel can bring happiness since it is an outside stimulus and I understand your statement completely, W2R. I am the same way.

As you have aged, since the physical side can be controlled to a point...what about mental? Being happier certainly has an effect. No depression, etc. Do you feel as creative as when you were younger?

Each year gets better. No worries about money, the job like being younger. You have long since learned not to make the same mistake twice...and think things out a little more.

Last edited:
Happy B-day W2R and wishing you many more to come!!! I'm one year and a week behind you:D. I appreciate your insights as you always set such a good example of how one keeps getting better with age and living life with a sense of contentment.

Happy Birthday/Retirement W2R! I remember when I thought 40 was really old -I'm 59 now, and it ain't so bad.

Thanks for all your contributions to this site, you've been a key resource for many years. And thanks for summarizing your personal thoughts on life & retirement - your words and your current avatar match! :D

Happy Birthday...
FWIW, the happiness quotient doesn't have to change in the coming years. Except for the fine arts part, you've mirrored my own thoughts (though 12 years later), and I wish you more of what you have today.

The health and mental alertness parts are most important.

"Life is Good!" The relative freedom from worry brings more ability to cope with, understand and appreciate the joy of independence.

Today... The first day of the rest of your life. :dance:

Kindest regards...

Happy Birthday W2R & TY For the words of wisdom!!
I have also found ER involves daily exercise (I'm a spinner ) :flowers:

Happy_Birthdayrockfingers[1].jpg

Happy birthday W2R! Turning 65 really is a milestone but maybe not a welcome one. Who could have imagined this so many years ago, I'm not far behind you, though I sure agree that 70 is another milestone and I'd call that one a lot worse than 65 but better than the alternative as you point out!

Instead of traveling, I love staying at home, in an familiar, predictable environment that I control and that is exactly what I want. I do appreciate the wonders and beauty of the world, but to me that is what the internet is for.
to which I'd add and television too.

I always enjoy reading your posts and you have the most beautiful avatars on the ER forum!

Happy birthday! You have all you need to be happy, and you know it. Clap your hands! :LOL:

Amethyst

Happy Birthday! You've arrived at a good place and I wish you many, many great years there.

Happy Birthday W2R! Every time you post it is so common sense and comforting. You seem so completely comfortable in your skin, time and place. Best wishes for the future.

Happy belated Birthday!!!! I really enjoy all your posts and have been reading them since 2007
! Thank you for taking the time to share in such a well thought out constructive way.

Last edited:
Another belated Happy Birthday. :greetings10:

I just turned 65 this year and the Medicare present was the best. I'm shocked how well the costs went down over what I was paying for health insurance when I was just a kid. And now I can legally claim that lower cost of Round Table pizza. :dance:

Another belated wish for a happy birthday, W2R--and I hope your celebrating continues throughout the year!

Happy Birthday.....looks like your Johari window is wide open :)

Happy belated Birthday from me also. It is wonderful that you are so content in your life. Thanks for your thoughts and for your many contributions to this site! I wish you many many more birthdays to come.

Back
Top Bottom