sometimes I get grossed out...

ladelfina

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"Years ago, people bought one single-family vacation home that they visited again and again. These days, the trend is to collect vacation homes..."
http://tinyurl.com/vkapq

People...? What "people"?

If there ever was an indicator that the rich/poor gap in the US is growing, this is it.
"We" are fighting an increase in the minimum wage from $5.15/hr where it was 10 years ago, while in the meantime "we" are COLLECTING vacation homes? :confused: :dead:

“It’s about as painless a way to own property in a remote destination that you plan to visit on a limited basis.” The article didn't say but I wonder how much time people physically spend in these $2-8 million places.

and since “not everyone wants a 12,000-square-foot ski house" they make do with 2000-5500 s.f. :LOL:

I NEVER understand the need to "own" under these circumstances. Here the people are thrilled that they don't have to decorate or furnish the condo. Well, in that case why do you need to "own" it? Seems like renting would be a better option - so much less expensive. Plus then you have total flexibility.

I remember once upon a time fantasizing about having say 3 homes around the country - one for each season. Then I realized - well I would be limited to those 3 locations, and how expensive it would be to furnish an maintain each one. Gosh - so much cheaper to rent a place instead and let someone else pay for the maintenance and repair and furnishings. The problem with owning multiple homes is that you get to pay for them every month whether you are there or not.

And then there is the problem that you are stuck with going to these same places all the time. Much better to rent a difference place each time you visit a given area.

Then I solved my "homes around the country" problem by realizing I could live in an RV instead, and then be "home" no matter where I was. Great tradeoff!!

Audrey

I had a very lengthy discussion about my situation with some friends on Sat. They suggested an RV might be the answer. I have thought about it, but for some reason it never had much appeal to me. Insufficient snob
appeal? I'm really not sure.

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
I had a very lengthy discussion about my situation with some friends on Sat. They suggested an RV might be the answer. I have thought about it, but for some reason it never had much appeal to me. Insufficient snob
appeal? I'm really not sure.

There are some seriously snobby RV's and custom busses out there. The sticker price on some of them can take one's breath away.

Leonidas said:
There are some seriously snobby RV's and custom busses out there. The sticker price on some of them can take one's breath away.

My older brother and I were talking, and he made mention about some new 5th wheel they looked at.. 55k! WTF! That ain't right. It's a camper! ::)

If I was going to go RV'ing, I think it would have to be a real nice, decked out Prevost motor coach for about $300K!!! Some friends had one that I was fortunate enough to have traveled in many times......I got spoiled!!! It was sooooo nice!!!

Now the reality check!!!! ;)

Ain't no way in heck that I would ever even consider blowing that much green on a stinking bus!!! Just give me a clean hotel room with a bed, shower, and toilet, and I'll be happy!!! I just want to enjoy my vacation relaxing and wasting away in Margaritaville!!! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom