I did it - I won! FIRE attitude + business sale

YeahNo

Recycles dryer sheets
Ok, I didn't actually win anything but it kind of feels like it!

Something amazing happened last week, I made it to the other side. The side opposite of worrying about if all of that hard work will pay off in the end. The side opposite of stressing over will that employee who I count on so dearly stick around for many years and not jump ship at a crucial time?

Those days are gone...

The business I had been building for over a decade sold and I finally "slightly" feel relief. I say slightly as I'm still in this surreal point in time where it hasn't fully sunk in.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for keeping me going on along the way. I've never been much of a poster but I have visited nearly daily for a very long time. Where there were other forums/blogs that I lost interest in over time, I always kept coming to this one. I'm extremely appreciated that early-retirement.org exists.

Stats:
Married + kids (they are little)
Net worth prior to sale: $1,900,000 (includes home equity and rental properties)

And for the fun part...
Net worth post business sale: $6,000,000

I rolled some of the equity over into the new company which should return ~11% dividends and I've included this stock in my net worth.

Over the last week I kept going back and forth if I wanted to limp in or lump in to the market. I initially put all money into the vanguard municipal money market (because of tax bracket) with the plans of DCA'ing over the next year because I felt we were indeed due for a correction of some sort. I was a bit frustrated that we couldn't get the business deal closed about a month ago which would have been an excellent time to enter the market with a lump sum. But then I smacked myself in the face with something I preach all the time, time in the market > timing the market. Hit the correct AA and rebalance when needed. So this morning I lumped in. It was ~1,700,000 in total. Ha! I hope I get to look back on this post in a year and say 'wow, great decision man'!

Like others who came before me, it feels really good just to be able to say these things as there aren't very many people in life that you can totally transparent with like this. My family/close friends know I sold the business, but they have no idea how much other than my Dad.

Again, thank you thank you thank for all of the everyday contributors here. I'd like to try and become more of a contributor here in the future once things settle a bit. If anyone has any questions at all, please feel free to ask! Its been a crazy journey.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Looks like you're in to spend a nice chunk of time with your kids.

Stats:
Married + kids (they are little)
Net worth prior to sale: $1,900,000 (includes home equity and rental properties)

And for the fun part...
Net worth post business sale: $6,000,000

Congrats! For ER folks with children (and especially young children) I like to propose $1M per capita for the family as a reasonable starting point for a "comfortable" ER. This can be then be adjusted up or down depending upon myriad details particular to the family's situation. If you have 10 kids, you may be a bit short :) .

Will you be satisfied converting to a life consisting of 100% consumption (the dream of some folks who spend many years in "forced" production)? Or, do you have a creative itch that you will scratch in some way? Whatever - your assets give you options that many other folks don't have :dance: .

Congratulations! What type of business was it, and how did you go about finding a buyer? I'm trying to sell my online business right now, but no one values it near what I think it's worth ( or can get out of it by just sitting on it)

Congrats! For ER folks with children (and especially young children) I like to propose $1M per capita for the family as a reasonable starting point for a "comfortable" ER. This can be then be adjusted up or down depending upon myriad details particular to the family's situation. If you have 10 kids, you may be a bit short :) .

Will you be satisfied converting to a life consisting of 100% consumption (the dream of some folks who spend many years in "forced" production)? Or, do you have a creative itch that you will scratch in some way? Whatever - your assets give you options that many other folks don't have :dance: .

I've actually been just doing part time hours at the office the last few years so I've been able to find a nice balance between work/life. One of the cool parts with the deal is that the buyers are leaving it up to me of how much or how little I want to work for the new organization. I am very excited to join this larger company from a career standpoint, but limiting it to a day or two per week max.

We are done at 3 kids :)

Congratulations! What type of business was it, and how did you go about finding a buyer? I'm trying to sell my online business right now, but no one values it near what I think it's worth ( or can get out of it by just sitting on it)

Manufacturing. This particular company had bought out one of our biggest customers a few years back.

Whats your current EBIDTA? How much do you think its worth? Typically business owners will use an investment banker to at like a "real estate agent"...they will go out and drum up buyers for you. I did not use one for this deal.

WOW! you have done well.

Wow congratulations! It must be nice to have a sudden jump in realized net worth!

Have you figured out what's next?

Congratulations on the sale, but really is a congratulations for the many long days and hours building up the business to get it to the point where you are now. It's nice that you can also stay on working as much or little as you want, could that be a path to maintain health insurance through your now "new" employer?

I have a very small side business I run, mainly for the tax advantages. I always admire those like you who have built up a business and can reap the rewards. Mine is just related to my old car hobby, and was never intended to do more than provide a few $ for my hobby expenses and the nice tax breaks from the business.

Congrats! I sell businesses as my part time w*rk and the kind of reaction you’re having is why I do it. (Plus it pays well.)

Wow congratulations! It must be nice to have a sudden jump in realized net worth!

Have you figured out what's next?

Right now just going to work a coupe days a week for the new owners. I've already felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders in terms of being a manager of people so its been even more fun in the office since the sale.

Congratulations on the sale, but really is a congratulations for the many long days and hours building up the business to get it to the point where you are now. It's nice that you can also stay on working as much or little as you want, could that be a path to maintain health insurance through your now "new" employer?

I have a very small side business I run, mainly for the tax advantages. I always admire those like you who have built up a business and can reap the rewards. Mine is just related to my old car hobby, and was never intended to do more than provide a few $ for my hobby expenses and the nice tax breaks from the business.

Agreed! Even though I paid myself well throughout owning the company, it never felt that it was enough to justify the long hours early on. The huge payout at the end surely did though! Yeah I will be able to stay on the acquiring company's health insurance which is an added perk for sure.

You never know what you find that right product that turns the hobby side business into the ONLY business :)

Congrats! I sell businesses as my part time w*rk and the kind of reaction you’re having is why I do it. (Plus it pays well.)

Care to go into a bit of detail here? What do you mean by sell business part time...are you an investment banker?

I forgot to add up top that the very first thing I did after the wire transfer from the sale hit my account was go straight to the bank and pay off our vehicle loans and our mortgage!! It was totally an emotional play and the adrenaline was high but it was the right call lol

Congrats on building a successful business. Its very hard to do and especially at such a young age. Make sure you have the tax consequences covered.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom