Somewhere Over The Rainbow

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On a drive home I passed by a rainbow so I figured...a picture probably wont' turn out..but it did :)

Attachments

• rainbow 2013-08-31.jpg
    rainbow 2013-08-31.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 38
I think this is the first rainbow picture I ever captured. Usually, the try is a swing and a miss :blush:

We haven't had rain in so long, the rainbows dried up along with the lakes.

Nice job, easysurfer! I was just sorting photos from the trip and these are from Kazakhstan, just after the border crossing near Astrakhan, Russia. Weird sort of hazy rainbow, after a massive rain and hailstorm. Welcome to Kazakhstan "Best in World!".

Attachments

• DSC01031.jpg
    DSC01031.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01035.jpg
    DSC01035.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01034.jpg
    DSC01034.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 14
Here is a double rainbow that I captured last Spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 24
Great rainbow photos! Breathtaking.

What does it MEAN?

Optically, a double rainbow means that light is refracting twice through water droplets. The outer (secondary) rainbow is more diffuse and the colors are reversed.

In Irish mythology, there is a pot if gold at the end of a rainbow. Unfortunately, the gold will always remain elusive, since the rainbow moves with you! In other cultures, a double rainbow is associated with transformation.

So perhaps the double rainbow that I saw represents ER.......but I will never win the lottery!

:LOL:

Vernal falls, Yosemite.

When the afternoon wind picks up, you can get a predictable rainbow this time of year.

Attachments

• IMG_2415.JPG
    IMG_2415.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 16
Optically, a double rainbow means that light is refracting twice through water droplets. The outer (secondary) rainbow is more diffuse and the colors are reversed.

In Irish mythology, there is a pot if gold at the end of a rainbow. Unfortunately, the gold will always remain elusive, since the rainbow moves with you! In other cultures, a double rainbow is associated with transformation.

So perhaps the double rainbow that I saw represents ER.......but I will never win the lottery!

:LOL:

LOL, Onward was referring to the internet-famous "Double Rainbow" guy's Youtube video:

Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10 - YouTube

Double rainbow ALL THE WAY!

Getting in on the rainbow action. This was from our hotel room in London. You can see the Tower of London on the far right.
img_1354268_0_44f0c46e84b5dd3635aea2f615285d2d.jpg

Getting in on the rainbow action. This was from our hotel room in London. You can see the Tower of London on the far right.
img_1354280_0_44f0c46e84b5dd3635aea2f615285d2d.jpg

You had your flash on, taking a landscape shot? really?

How bad do you want that pot of gold? (I didn't take the photo, but it's been around a while.)

Attachments

• rainbowpotty.JPG
    rainbowpotty.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 9
One from the HFWR archive...

Attachments

• rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 9
Among other names, Hawaii is called the land of rainbows. I'm guessing that (if it were your goal in life) you could find a rainbow in the islands nearly every day. You'd just have to travel around a bit to do it. Not the worst ER goal I've heard of, heh, heh.

We see rainbows almost weekly and we don't go looking. Sounds like a very rainy place, but in most areas, it isn't. Much of our rain forms differently than much of mainland rain (direct condensation to a "mist" rather than melted ice crystals). This seems to be conducive to rainbow formation, even when there isn't much (if any) rain!! Nice!

We often see the double rainbows and, IIRC, a triple is possible. A rainbow from the air can be especially spectacular (it forms a perfect circle under the right conditions.) I have dozens of rainbow pics from our lanai, but won't post. You will all have to come see them for yourselves. Aloha:greetings10:

Forgot to mention my agreement with Gumby about IZ's version of "Over the Rainbow". Such a wonderful voice, now stilled - but always with us through the magic of recording technology. I know folks who followed his relatively brief career locally. May he rest forever under Hawaiian rainbows.

You had your flash on, taking a landscape shot? really?

Snarky much?

I was in the hotel and saw this and just took a quick shot. The automatic flash was on and went off. If I had remembered I would have turned it off first, but I didn't.

Forgot to mention my agreement with Gumby about IZ's version of "Over the Rainbow". Such a wonderful voice, now stilled - but always with us through the magic of recording technology. I know folks who followed his relatively brief career locally. May he rest forever under Hawaiian rainbows.

This result of two special songs merged together into a new one always makes me stop and listen--I never get tired of it. Even as an instrumental it is beautiful, but with the lyrics, oh my. So happy when artists build on something and make it accessible to new generations.

Back
Top Bottom