Songs of Home

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Well done! I am indeed a Corkonian. Cork is known as the Rebel County.
You will never guess the answer to #3 (in retrospect I think that was just too hard) but can anyone tell me what happened in, on or around the River Lee last November?

The River Lee flooded the city of Cork...

Right again!!! :flowers:

The city centre is built on a marsh; in fact, the Irish version (Corcaigh) is derived from the word for a marsh. This flood was the worst since 1963, which I actually remember as a child. My family lived on top of a hill, so no worries.

And the trophy is the McCarthy Cup. If you meet anyone named McCarthy, there's a good chance they have roots in Cork.

Test over!

Right again!!! :flowers:

The city centre is built on a marsh; in fact, the Irish version (Corcaigh) is derived from the word for a marsh. This flood was the worst since 1963, which I actually remember as a child. My family lived on top of a hill, so no worries.

And the trophy is the McCarthy Cup. If you meet anyone named McCarthy, there's a good chance they have roots in Cork.

Test over!

Ireland is at the top of my list of countries to visit!:flowers:

Ireland is at the top of my list of countries to visit!:flowers:

Absolutely. We had 2 weeks there once. First week on the Dingle penninsular, 2nd week in a little town in County Cork called Midleton.

Fantastic country, wonderful people.

OK, now the quiz:
1. Where is Meadbh from?
2. What sport are they playing?
And, for bonus points.....
3. What is the name of the cup that the captain of the winning team brandishes near the end?
4. Why was the Lee in the news in November 2009?
1) Meadbh is from Canada, but may have Irish heretige
2) Lacrosse
3) Champion's Cup
4) I give up

But now, I'm getting into my adopted state's music
Hey, what other state has an entire category at the Grammys?

I'm torn among the traditionals of "Honolulu City Lights", "Menehune Beach Bum Boogie", and "Molokai Slide". Or Ka'u Crater Boys' ukuleles. But just about anything by Kalapana, Peter Moon, or Na Leo Pilimehana is fine too.

It's a very long list, and one I wouldn't have expected from growing up in Pittsburgh...

Yeah, no one is more surprised than I at how enjoyable and hypnotic slack-key and other forms of local music can be.

That’s hilarious, I am so jealous. I grew up in a resort town, complete with a notorious motel row along the alternate freeway but I don’t know of any song about it.

As far as my current abode, since I have absolutely no sense of direction: “Do You Know the Way to San Jose?,” “Oh, Lord, Stuck in Lodi Again,” and generally, “No Direction Home.”

Memphis Blues again; Busted flat in Baton Rouge; 10 Below in Boulder

In a recent post, I threatened to post a song in a new foreign language, new here meaning other than French, Spanish, or Italian. I also said in that post that someone had posted a love song in Croatian, but forgot that I myself had posted "Hava Nagila", a well-known song in Hebrew (No, I am not Jewish :)

So, I am carrying out my threat here. It took me a while to locate this appropriate thread (Do I have a good memory or what?). The song is "Baladi", sung by Dalida, the "grande dame" whose songs I have posted several times.

This "Baladi" song is an Arabic song, written by an Egyptian song writer, I believe. A former megacorp friend translated it for me, but I have lost the translation. He was Tunisian, and spoke Arabic. The lyrics basically reminisce of the writer's homeland which is Egypt, though I guess many people from the Middle East can identify with this song.

Because of its melody, this song is quite often used for belly dance, and I am sure most people would identify it as such. Dalida was born in Egypt to Italian parents, and my friend said her Arabic pronunciation was elegant.

This song is very pretty yet so sad NW Bound. Makes me think of some far away lost place that I yearn for and can't quite remember....

This song is very pretty yet so sad NW Bound. Makes me think of some far away lost place that I yearn for and can't quite remember....
Beautifully said, and I hear you. To me the place is that part of the human soul that holds reckless passion, longing, and a sense of terrible loss at the passing of youth.

That minor key and the melody are sad with the feeling of loss, but there is a secret passage within the song. That heavily syncopated passionate rhythm tells us that it isn't really gone, it is just stored away in a forgotten room down a hallway, and we have only to find the key...

Also, this is a faboulous non-traditional tango. My partner would love it. I will look for a CD or some singles to create a playlist. Tango is all about love and its disappointments, its delights, its yin and its yang.

Here is a very accomplished couple dancing to Paris, Texas- another song of home, and our current favorite slow tango. This couple absolutely fuse the soul of this song with their own individul souls, and also their joined soul as a dancing couple.

This song makes me wish I were a violinist, as well as a much younger tango dancer.

Ha

NWB, you got me going with these Arabic songs. I think I like these as much as 73 likes 60s girl groups.

Listen to and watch this one. Are these people having fun or not?

I like the end when the girl is dancing ;) Yes, looks like they are having fun. The way they act, the dialog at the beginning appears to be an exchange of sweet nothings.

Well, my taste in music is actually not that esoteric. What attracted me in the song Baladi was its sadness, and not least because Dalida was the singer. Before I had the song translated for me by a friend, I had searched the Web on my own and this was what I found: "Baladi" by Hossam Ramzy

Great essay, NW. Looks like women are in charge everywhere. No one can escape.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom