Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why not participate in basketball or softball now, with other men the same age and condition where the competition isn't too crazy?
I played basketball and soccer in high school and college but it was difficult to find leagues for people around my age so a couple of years ago I joined a younger group of over 40 basketball league at the YMCA but had to quickly end it after one appearance out of fear of getting severely injured because the competition was too crazy.

Instead I play doubles tennis twice a week where I can still compete without getting badly injured.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #62

I don't watch any major league sports other than 6 or 8 golf tournaments a year, and have no interest in college sports.

I do love "World's Strongest Man", but that's only about 8 episodes once a year, and I'll also watch the Crossfit Games...again, they're only on once a year for a few episodes.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I played basketball and soccer in high school and college but it was difficult to find leagues for people around my age so a couple of years ago I joined a younger group of over 40 basketball league at the YMCA but had to quickly end it after one appearance out of fear of getting severely injured because the competition was too crazy.

Instead I play doubles tennis twice a week where I can still compete without getting badly injured.
I sympathize, As I mentioned, I quit playing pickup BB with college kids when I was about 40. Not that I couldn't keep up (though I scouted the players more closely before jumping in ) but after a few sprained ankles I just realized that a serious injury was waiting to happen. I also tried playing church league softball but it wasn't any fun to play with people who had NO CLUE what they were doing. I broke a bone in my wrist due to some idiot.

The problem with "adult" sports leagues, in my experience, is that you either have clueless people - i.e. church league softball, or you have the hyper-competitive ones - usually folks in their 20's and 30's. after several tries, I just figured I would never be lucky enough to find the right team where I could have fun with it.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #64

The Badgers have a real hall-of-fame quality coach in Bo Ryan. Dick Bennett was a tough act to follow, but Ryan has filled his shoes and then some. Both men had long apprenticeships in small Wisconsin colleges before moving up to Division I at UW.

My mom used to tell a funny story about Notre Dame. She grew up in a big family on a hardscrabble farm in North Dakota. It was hard keeping all the mouths fed, so when she turned 16 in the early '30s she went to Chicago to work as a domestic. She spent her free time going to movies, and during one newsreel she saw the storied Fighting Irish with ND emblazoned on their uniforms.

"Gee," she said. "Isn't it nice to see the team from North Dakota in the news!"

I went to the same grade school that Knute Rockne attended, BTW. It's still a functioning school in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood. Which tells you something about the state of the Chicago school system.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
The problem with "adult" sports leagues, in my experience, is that you either have clueless people - i.e. church league softball, or you have the hyper-competitive ones - usually folks in their 20's and 30's. after several tries, I just figured I would never be lucky enough to find the right team where I could have fun with it.
I agree. However, the first adult softball league I was in was great. We actually had our own league at Megacorp and our own fields, so it was well run. I actually was invited onto the team as a backup pitcher, then worked into the lineup at third base. Our cleanup hitter was the Director of Engineering. A great team, great teammates, and it was a great social night for my young girlfriend (future DW)

Then my next Megacorp was more like you described. A couple guys would actually talk serious trash to the opposing players, completely unprovoked. Completely unprofessional, and I quit the team. They eventually lost the sponsor of HR. And the funny thing is, they really sucked too.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #66

One sport I never get tired of watching: [women's] Beach Volleyball. For some inexplicable reason, I don't really care who wins or loses. And, more often than not at any given point I have no idea of the score.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I sympathize, As I mentioned, I quit playing pickup BB with college kids when I was about 40. Not that I couldn't keep up (though I scouted the players more closely before jumping in ) but after a few sprained ankles I just realized that a serious injury was waiting to happen. I also tried playing church league softball but it wasn't any fun to play with people who had NO CLUE what they were doing. I broke a bone in my wrist due to some idiot.

"Hyper competitive".... Yes, the last year I played in a softball league we were getting stomped by a local D-1 college mens basketball team. One of them made a rude comment about our team, and of course one of our smart mouthed teammates fired back about us sucking as bad as the team that upset them in the first round of NCAA tourney. Hit a sore spot....We barely avoided getting the crap beat out of us..My last year of league softball......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk