Squandering Time?

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Okay, so I've been loving this FIRE'd thing. Took a while to get into it, but after over eighteen months, it's terrific. I haven't been doing much---reading, exercise, cooking, playing online, socializing, just hanging out.
And I wasn't even feeling guilty about it, until I stumbled onto this quote by Benjamin Franklin:

Dost though love life, then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.

So---is this relaxed and enjoyable state of being and not really doing anything substantial actually squandering time? Am I making poor Ben turn over in his grave?

Tango, guilt is greatly overrated. Relax, enjoy!

Okay, so I've been loving this FIRE'd thing. Took a while to get into it, but after over eighteen months, it's terrific. I haven't been doing much---reading, exercise, cooking, playing online, socializing, just hanging out.
And I wasn't even feeling guilty about it, until I stumbled onto this quote by Benjamin Franklin:

Dost though love life, then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.

So---is this relaxed and enjoyable state of being and not really doing anything substantial actually squandering time? Am I making poor Ben turn over in his grave?

Define squander.

Today I exercised, washed dishes, fed birds, watched squirrels, made a big pot of minestrone (much to be frozen for later), surfed the 'net, added to compost, clipped a daffodil to bring inside, combed the cat, cleaned the litter box, downloaded software.

Was there something else I should have done?:rolleyes:

I have been FIRED since the end of 2006. I very much wanted to spend the rest of my days doing what the Lord wanted me to do with my life. If you are not a christian this does not apply to you. Jesus was not concerned about us to be busy for busy sake, look what he said to Martha. I have slowly after much pray found that looking around and helping others, strangers in distress, neighbors with children that needed a little love and overseeing, other families in my church that had needs. This does not take up all my time but it is very fulfilling and builds friendships that I never had time for when working. I find my life very good!:)

I think that time at work is often squandered. Think about it and you might agree with me.

But time smelling the roses? Or volunteering/helping people and doing good when you can? Exploring this beautiful world and everything in it? Appreciating each minute you have on this earth? I don't think that time spend in these ways is squandered.

Want2retire, I so agree about wasted time at work! My last year, I think you are on your last, was very slow and never enough work. I would sit at my desk like someone in prison waiting for release. I can tell you when release came it was wonderful! I guess many of us have graduated from the "I need to show the world all my bright ideas" mentality.

I know a lot of my time is certainly squandered at work, yet rarely when at home. Nothing like waiting for meetings to start, checking pointless email, chatting with co-workers over a cup of coffee about the new reports everyone has to submit...

Just being able to avoid the requirement of going through those motions is what it is all about. If you enjoy reading, writing, cooking, socializing, then you aren't squandering anything. You're simply doing what you like to do, and on your own terms.

Not everyone has aspirations to conquer new challenges or fill their time with exciting activities. So, if those things don't mean much to you, there is no reason to feel guilty about what you're doing.

Tango, I retired the same time as you and I have no guilt at all about doing nothing. Everyone told me I'd be bored to tears in 6 months and back looking for a job. Well the more I have free time the more I can't stand the thought of working.

I do about the same as you except take out the cooking and put in eating. I love the way DW cooks.

Enjoy!

if you've enjoyed the time you've spent, it has not been squandered.

Hell, I've squandered 56 going on 57 years and hope to squander a few more before the lights go out.

Hey, even Windows Solitaire can be used to improve your memory or to let your brain mull over a problem while you maintain your hand-eye coordination.

I think that time at work is often squandered. Think about it and you might agree with me.

But time smelling the roses? Or volunteering/helping people and doing good when you can? Exploring this beautiful world and everything in it? Appreciating each minute you have on this earth? I don't think that time spend in these ways is squandered.

You've got that right! I squandered my life from kindergarten until the day I ER'd! I fulfilled the duties expected of me by government (going to school) and by society (going to work). I'll admit (grudgingly) that I learned enough in school, to get a decent job......and made enough money at that job to be able to comfortably ER @ 50.

So now with my [-]sentence served[/-] obligations fulfilled, it is now MY time to do (or not do) as I please! I could never consider it squandering time! I simply call it LIVING!!! :D

Today I sat out on the patio for several hours and watched and listened to the birds......I watched clouds float past.....I walked around the yard and looked at all the flowers starting to poke out of the ground......I saw my first butterfly of the year flitter around our gazing ball......I watched a couple of lady bugs that were out for an afternoon stroll. I didn't "do" one blasted thing today.......I was not one bit 'productive' by society's standards.....but I didn't 'squander' even one single solitary moment of the day!!! I did, however, achieve total success in everything that I accomplished today!

It all a matter of one's perspective on life! :D

I pulled the plug the end of 2005 and enjoy doing whatever I feel like, most days, and it usually would be considered squandering my time by working stiffs. Seems like there has been an up swing in people asking what I do to keep busy again. I usually tell them I don't like to plan my day till after I get back from my morning walk and have my first cup of coffee. Sometimes the planning takes till lunch and most days, I don't get to half the things I plan. Next day repeat.

Jeb

I would sit at my desk like someone in prison waiting for release. I can tell you when release came it was wonderful! I guess many of us have graduated from the "I need to show the world all my bright ideas" mentality.

Exactly how I felt my last couple of years at work! Exactly! It was so frustrating when I knew that I had more important "work" at home just BEING with my family. My time is not being squandered at all now. I do what I want, when I want. However, it did take some time to adjust to my new attitude/life.

While squandering some time this morning (on my day off) I came across these chocolate babies on the Pravda website. Definitely worthwhile for the cuteness factor......but is this cannibalism by proxy?

Newborns made of chocolate (photo) - Pravda.Ru

i'm a little afraid to ask but just what was it you googled that you came across that. you hamster you.

I couldn't agree more. I was in a battle last week about whether I needed to do something that couldn't possibly impact any of our customers. I lost --I knew I would because they had some VP's edict on the type of thing I was working on. What the hell, I still got paid the same for it. But my time was completely squandered by doing it, and by arguing about it.

Ben probably rolled over in his grave every time I spent a day at work for absolutely no other reason than making money and then used that money in a less than frugal manner while dreading going to work for many more years.

Define squander.

Today I exercised, washed dishes, fed birds, watched squirrels, made a big pot of minestrone (much to be frozen for later), surfed the 'net, added to compost, clipped a daffodil to bring inside, combed the cat, cleaned the litter box, downloaded software.

Was there something else I should have done?:rolleyes:

Khan,

I'm sure if the cat could talk, there would be many more things you should have done. For example, plant catnip, buy new cat toys and treats, cater to his/her every whim, etc.

Back
Top Bottom