Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems I was egged into it.

FIRST!!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I knew I could count on the bunny to be the bad boy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Isnt it nice to know that there are some constants in the universe?

Problem is, I cant see that running a business meeting in that manner would make it any less productive.

Is that selfish of me?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
How many times have we said to our kids 'Try it ..... you'll like it'
Might be worth trying for say the next three or four months. That would get us past the primaries. If it does not work, delete it, then you will have a proven history that things will 'spill over' and a political area is not workable.
Y'all need to start volunteering your moderation where your mouths are. I'm glad I wouldn't be responsible for riding herd on that hairball.

Or wait, here's a political forum, it's already populated, and it's certified H0cus-free!
Politics

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #45
Administrator

Can I suggest that if you want to post to a political forum, there are many. They are more equipped than we are to cope. The mods have tasers and chainsaws, they wear kevlar and enjoy personal pain... They have not or do not desire to retire early.

I googled political forum and found several interesting sites....

Argue With Everyone Political Forums
Liberal Forum - America's Political Chat Room
Liberty News Forum - Political Discussion Forum

Just sayin'.....
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I will say in my 8 years of being retired, I reading and posting on a number of retirement forums, every few month the metadiscussion of banning/policing political threads is brought up.

It is impossible for an outright ban and difficult to police. That being said the Motley Fool early retirement board turned into a right wing political (and I am Registered Republican) forum and the board suffered as a result. Since this forum has moderators it is worth an effort to keep us political junkies from driving the rest of the members away. Most of this can and should be done by community policing.. Still some simple guidelines that moderator can use would be worth writing down and distributing.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #47
Administrator

I agree and we have some - they can be found in the community rules.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Please limit discussion of politics and religion to the "other topic" forum, unless the issue is specifically pertinent to the topic at hand. For example, political discussions on health insurance can be in the Health and Early Retirement forum and political discussions regarding the tax code can be in the FIRE and Money forum.
On edit: This might also be applicable...

Quote:
Be Courteous! We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our underlying philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards. Treating each other with respect and kindness, and thinking before you speak will go a long way towards making this an enjoyable place.
I guess if we need more, we'll add them.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I mod'd a forum that banned political topics. It just got stupid and there were too many good posters who got fed up with it.

It was easy to manage and enforce. If you posted political stuff, we deleted it. If you did it twice, you got warned. Three times and you got to take your posting energies elsewhere.

I can think of a pair of excellent posters who stopped coming here because they got sick of the political posts. Not someone bringing up something thats related to politics and a reasonable discussion among intelligent people about the matter, but the shrieking mimi political BS that really has no basis on an ER board.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
BTW, the person who is worst about categorizing is Mitt Romney! What a jerk, right?
I didn't realize he posted here! What screen name does he use

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Brewer12345.

Who wont mind that I named him, because I'm on his ignore list...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Amen, there seems to be a flurry of them recently. My New Years resolution is to ignore any thread with Gore, Hillary, Old George, global warming, or fresh milk in the title.
Very good advise.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It would seem to me you have what you think is a political area. It is called 'Other Topics' Why not go further and just say:

Please limit discussion of politics and religion, unless the issue is specifically pertinent to the topic at hand. For example, political discussions on health insurance can be in the Health and Early Retirement forum and political discussions regarding the tax code can be in the FIRE and Money forum. However, post made simply to disparage a politician or party will not be tolerated.

That would let posters know that pure political discussions are not welcome. Seems to me that someone that continues to start pure political threads is the definition of a troll and should be banned from the board.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's just like your TV or your radio if you do not like what you see or hear - you switch the channel or station.

As for keeping religion or politics out of threads - It ain't going to happen - WE ALL tend to get off the subject and we venture into other topics. And what ends up happenings when WE do not agree with someone or can not win the debate - WE resort to personal attacks. Name calling, stereotyping, questioning their pa·tri·ot·ism, and attempting to embarrass someone is not going to get us anywhere.

But to try to throw out someone because somebody else believes that they are a political or religious TROLL - well that is NOT right. If you do not like what they are saying, their opinions or viewpoints then do not read them.

If you do not want people to discuss religion and politics then change the name from OTHER TOPICS to something else.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. Why do I have the sudden urge to become a moderator?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm. Why do I have the sudden urge to become a moderator?
PAWNED!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

couldn't we just start out by disallowing disruptive political comments in non-political threads. You know, like saying in the crock pot thread that it's impossible to buy a good crock pot because bush mispronounces words or Gore uses too many squares to wipe his butt? But, allow political posts in the "Other" section where the thread is clearly identified as political BS in the title and can be easily avoided?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's interesting that this board, and the whole country is split 50-50 ... each side thinks the other is dimwitted, but that isn't true. What if your political orientation is not based on what is right, but on what you -feel- is right? It would explain why people get so frustrated and angry when someone expresses the opposite point of view.

What if world's problems are not political problems and can't be solved politically? Perhaps poverty, immigration, terrorism and religious animosity are not the result of people being wrong-headed. Maybe they are the result of biological factors we are hard-wired for.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #58

The world's most powerful nation should not be ruled by a lightweight.

The rest of us can't wait 'til you are rid of this absolute disaster.

What the hell were you thinking when you voted for this idiot?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post

I would think someone who majored in phys ed and geography in college shouldn't be calling anyone a "lightweight".
Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post

Who are you talking about?

Was this person born in New Haven, Connecticut or Austin, Texas?

Is it the guy who entered the Texas National Guard and then did not fully meet his military obligation, because he or she were too busy working on a political campaign?

Or was it the Great Willie Nelson (who is no lightweight and who is one of the most beloved people in the GREAT State of Texas)?

Careful there you are going to get both of us in trouble. and then some may question our pa·tri·ot·ism or maybe they will call us TROLLS.

GOD BLESS

Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote