Staying Away From Political Threads...........

Amen, there seems to be a flurry of them recently. My New Years resolution is to ignore any thread with Gore, Hillary, Old George, global warming, or fresh milk in the title.

Very good advise.

It would seem to me you have what you think is a political area. It is called 'Other Topics' Why not go further and just say:

Please limit discussion of politics and religion, unless the issue is specifically pertinent to the topic at hand. For example, political discussions on health insurance can be in the Health and Early Retirement forum and political discussions regarding the tax code can be in the FIRE and Money forum. However, post made simply to disparage a politician or party will not be tolerated.

That would let posters know that pure political discussions are not welcome. Seems to me that someone that continues to start pure political threads is the definition of a troll and should be banned from the board.

It's just like your TV or your radio if you do not like what you see or hear - you switch the channel or station.

As for keeping religion or politics out of threads - It ain't going to happen - WE ALL tend to get off the subject and we venture into other topics. And what ends up happenings when WE do not agree with someone or can not win the debate - WE resort to personal attacks. Name calling, stereotyping, questioning their pa·tri·ot·ism, and attempting to embarrass someone is not going to get us anywhere.

But to try to throw out someone because somebody else believes that they are a political or religious TROLL - well that is NOT right. If you do not like what they are saying, their opinions or viewpoints then do not read them.

If you do not want people to discuss religion and politics then change the name from OTHER TOPICS to something else.

GOD BLESS

Last edited:
Hmm. Why do I have the sudden urge to become a moderator?

img_589013_0_9125af4e0c4333a5bafa34e338205df6.jpg

couldn't we just start out by disallowing disruptive political comments in non-political threads. You know, like saying in the crock pot thread that it's impossible to buy a good crock pot because bush mispronounces words or Gore uses too many squares to wipe his butt? But, allow political posts in the "Other" section where the thread is clearly identified as political BS in the title and can be easily avoided?

I think it's interesting that this board, and the whole country is split 50-50 ... each side thinks the other is dimwitted, but that isn't true. What if your political orientation is not based on what is right, but on what you -feel- is right? It would explain why people get so frustrated and angry when someone expresses the opposite point of view.

What if world's problems are not political problems and can't be solved politically? Perhaps poverty, immigration, terrorism and religious animosity are not the result of people being wrong-headed. Maybe they are the result of biological factors we are hard-wired for.

The world's most powerful nation should not be ruled by a lightweight.

The rest of us can't wait 'til you are rid of this absolute disaster.

What the hell were you thinking when you voted for this idiot?

I would think someone who majored in phys ed and geography in college shouldn't be calling anyone a "lightweight".

Who are you talking about?

Was this person born in New Haven, Connecticut or Austin, Texas?

Is it the guy who entered the Texas National Guard and then did not fully meet his military obligation, because he or she were too busy working on a political campaign?

Or was it the Great Willie Nelson (who is no lightweight and who is one of the most beloved people in the GREAT State of Texas)?

Careful there you are going to get both of us in trouble. :D:););) and then some may question our pa·tri·ot·ism or maybe they will call us TROLLS.

GOD BLESS:angel:

I would think someone who majored in phys ed and geography in college shouldn't be calling anyone a "lightweight".

Uh this poster IS NOT NEWGUY!! Check the IP address!!

Like I said in another post I am done with political stuff. Better things to do than ramble about the idiots on both sides of the isle screwing up royally.

A question for you folks that are more active on the web than me.......

Are the political threads that get started here original? Or are they just someone reading a political blog or political web site, getting worked up, and bringing it back here?

In my opinion,by FAR, it's the second question you raised...........:D

And here I was thinking it was

C) some pathetic slug that wants to create attention and furor.

Maybe it's the Pythagorean Theorem:

If a=b, and b=c, than a=c

Works for me............

And here I was thinking it was

C) some pathetic slug that wants to create attention and furor.

Maybe they are exercising their right to dis·sent. There is an interesting article in Time "THE RIGHT TO DISSENT & THE DUTY TO ANSWER"
THE RIGHT TO DISSENT & THE DUTY TO ANSWER - TIME

Should individuals have their -pa·tri·ot·ism questioned and be called names just because they speak out against an Iraq War policy which they believe to be wrong? Or should one view this as their right to
dis·sent?

GOD BLESS:angel:

So we have this thread about avoiding political threads and these jerks pipe up spewing political nonsense in bold letters?
Good one.

No, I think I had it right the first time...its just buttheadedness.

But I'm sorry you hate the troops and you're unamerican. We forgive you.

Polite people dont talk about politics or religion, and save sex for after the second drink and only with comfortable company.

Maybe they are exercising their right to dis·sent.

It seems that when you, Wags, speak out against others dissenting, you are speaking hypocritically. Why do you fight so hard to silence the free speach of others when their opinion is not in lock step with yours? It would seem you'd encouage others to speak their minds, even if they are in disagreement with you, that is, dissenting against your position, regarding plastering partisan political rhetoric into threads not intended to be political.

Back
Top Bottom