Stealth inflation

Zoocat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Food manufacturers are downsizing products rather than pass on costs to consumers. This story is all over the mainstream media. What's really sad is that Haagen Daz was downsized from 16 to 14 oz for the same price. Now, really, is cow's milk increasing in price that much? Or is it the sugar that is so pricey now? And how does one prepare in retirement for downsized food? Maybe we Americans will lose weight? Not a bad thing?;)

oopps. Bad link. Apparently, it's old news But here's a recent one.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13799273

That link is 10 years old. I've seen evidence that food portions (e.g. hamburgers) have increased significantly in the past few decades, though I can't find the link right now. And if the art history study below is anything to go by, the long term trend has been increasing over the last 1000 years.

Last Supper study shows portion size history

I have some old cookbooks that frequently refer to 16oz cans of this or 8oz of that. I remember these as being the common sizes years ago. Now the ingredients are commonly found in 14.5 oz cans or 6oz of that. Makes for a lot of adjusting proportions.

I was in the store yesterday stocking up prior to the rush that will happen today before the storm starts to Tuesday and Wednesday and I noticed that my favourite Boston cream doughnuts which had disappeared from the shelves a couple of weeks ago had reappeared in a package of four instead of a package of six at very nearly the same price. This may have unintended benefits to my waistline.

I was in the store yesterday stocking up prior to the rush that will happen today before the storm starts to Tuesday and Wednesday and I noticed that my favourite Boston cream doughnuts which had disappeared from the shelves a couple of weeks ago had reappeared in a package of four instead of a package of six at very nearly the same price. This may have unintended benefits to my waistline.

A true American will buy 2 packs of 4 instead of 1 pack of 6. :)

-CC

Food manufacturers are downsizing products rather than pass on costs to consumers. This story is all over the mainstream media. What's really sad is that Haagen Daz was downsized from 16 to 14 oz for the same price. Now, really, is cow's milk increasing in price that much? Or is it the sugar that is so pricey now? And how does one prepare in retirement for downsized food? Maybe we Americans will lose weight? Not a bad thing?;)

oopps. Bad link. Apparently, it's old news But here's a recent one.

Less food in grocery store product's packaging - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

It's not new at all.

I recall MAD Magazine mentioning such somewhere back in the mid 60s.

Back
Top Bottom