Strange customer service sign...

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was in the bolt aisle at my local [-]Home Depot [/-] big orange box home improvement warehouse yesterday, saw this sign posted above the customer assistance button...

Any idea what they are thinking? I took it as "if you're so stupid you need help finding fasteners, we'll need to keep an eye on you until you leave the store"

Attachments

• strangeHDcustomerservicenotice.jpg
    strangeHDcustomerservicenotice.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 15
I think it's nice. Sometimes they hide the simplest things on a bottom shelf behind other things, in an unlikely aisle where you would never find it in a million years. :)

When I was fixing up my house to sell, I got the "contractor's size" package of wall plates (to replace those covering all the sockets in my house) that way. They had the small size package right at eye level but the much, MUCH cheaper large package was very thoroughly hidden on the bottom shelf behind small sizes of something entirely different. The guy who helped me knew right where it was, though.

And then there was the quest for the clear acrylic rods that operate miniblinds. I searched for 20 minutes up and down both aisles of miniblinds and miniblind accessories, without finding them. The employee who helped me showed me that they were in the next aisle (which had nothing other than these rods that had anything to do with mini-blinds).

I guess I'd rather that a stranger that I'll never see again thinks I'm dumb, than the alternative of spending an hour in that huge place looking for something I'll never find....

Last edited:
I think it's nice. Sometimes they hide the simplest things on a bottom shelf behind other things, in an unlikely aisle where you would never find it in a million years. :)

When I was fixing up my house to sell, I got the "contractor's size" package of wall plates (to replace those covering all the sockets in my house) that way. They had the small size package right at eye level but the much, MUCH cheaper large package was very thoroughly hidden on the bottom shelf behind small sizes of something entirely different. The guy who helped me knew right where it was, though.

And then there was the quest for the clear acrylic rods that operate miniblinds. I searched for 20 minutes up and down both aisles of miniblinds and miniblind accessories, without finding them. The employee who helped me showed me that they were in the next aisle (which had nothing other than these rods that had anything to do with mini-blinds).

I guess I'd rather that a stranger that I'll never see again thinks I'm dumb, than the alternative of spending an hour in that huge place looking for something I'll never find....
Nice post; and while I have your attention will you pease consider asking Frank take your photo in that beautiful mask and post it here for us to enjoy?

Nice post; and while I have your attention will you pease consider asking Frank take your photo in that beautiful mask and post it here for us to enjoy?

Ha ha!! I got this avatar on the web, and besides you have seen my photo without a mask in an old thread (though that photo is now deleted for discretion). I have a great photo of us dressed to the hilt at one of the Mardi Gras balls a few years ago, but don't want to post it since it includes both of us. This year we are planning to "cocoon" and not go anywhere much over Lundi Gras (today) and Mardi Gras. It's really crazy out there right now. I hope we can at least get to the gym today but not sure.

Last edited:
Ha ha!! I got this avatar on the web, and besides you have seen my photo without a mask in an old thread (though that photo is now deleted for discretion).
I thought I had that picture, but I just looked and was disappointed to find it is only Carla Bruni.

So with his permission, remove Frank from the costumed picture and put 'er up!

Ha

Thinkin' this may have been a song you grooved to back in the day Westie;)

YouTube - Signs

Just a few years ago I remember it was soOOO difficult to get help at these home improvement stores. Since the economy tanked, I am always greeted by an employee and asked if I need help.

My routine is to first go to Lowes and try to find it and after 10 minutes in the store with no success I then stop at the HD on the way home.

I generally stick to the same stores as I know the layout well.

My routine is to always go and ask a store employee to help me. I don't waste time looking for anything. Do folks really have some sort of phobia about asking for help? Why would that make you feel stupid?

And it doesn't apply only to home improvement stores. If I go shopping for clothes, I will ask the sales help to find what I want as in "khakis, no pleats, no cuffs, size 33 x 33, no iron" while I go over to the shirts, I'll be back in 10 minutes to try them on. This works. I don't have to waste time going through stacks of garments to find my size.

But that is a weird sign. I'll assume that English wasn't their best subject in school.

I take it as a punishment for the associates for not offering to assist you. Would you need to push the button if the associate offers to help you find what you are looking for? If you have to push the button that means the associate wasn't doing their job. Since they were caught slacking off, they get to work extra by getting everything you need for you. I would guess they need to get your stuff fast, before the next customer needs to push the button.

Another viewpoint is that the wording of the sign was a bit cheeky. One might infer that the words "if you have.." might suggest a bit of ineptness on the shopper's part.

And " while you are in the store today." seems to suggest that they will not leave you by yourself until you exit the store for fear of getting called again.

Half empty version.

Home Depot has customer service:confused: :2funny:

Maybe this is the manager's way of telling his under-performing associates that they better be on the ball and helping customers before they get frustrated enough to push the button, and if they DO push it then the poor associate in that department is that customer's slave for the rest of his visit.

Actually I have received excellent customer service at Home Depot, I remember an associate who was particularly helpful at their Portland Airport store. He knew his stuff and made sure that I found what I needed. On another occasion an associate at their Tigard store helped us snag a deal on an appliance that I really wanted and was hard to find (top rated by Consumer Reports) - she pulled it from an inventory in "God knows where" as Lowe's said it was unavailable anywhere in the country and they honored a 'new homeowner' discount coupon to boot.

Bless them.

The lot of a retail sales associate isn't easy, a hearty thank you for great service can make their day.

I hate shopping. I really hate shopping. I want to get in, get my stuff, and get out.

Maybe this is the manager's way of telling his under-performing associates that they better be on the ball and helping customers before they get frustrated enough to push the button, and if they DO push it then the poor associate in that department is that customer's slave for the rest of his visit.
I'm sure the [-]associate[/-] clerk will be very eager to help.

You: "Can you help me find the two inch long hex head 1/4" bolts?"

Him: "That's not something we carry. Thanks for ringing the buzzer. Now can I help you find something else--the exit, maybe? No, let me help you find your car. I'd like to know what it looks like, since sometimes I have to go out in the parking lot and retrieve those heavy, unwieldy carts with the pointy edges. Lots of accidents in parking lots."

Good retail assistance is hard to find
YouTube - The Cheese Shop sketch, Monty Python

Back
Top Bottom