Stuff happens but we can learn from it

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 10 year old Toyota Highlander had 40,000 miles on the 70,000 mile tires we purchased. Funny but that’s just a bit more than the first of ‘dealer’ tires. The day before our Florida trip was scheduled we brought the car into COSTCO for ‘new rubber’. Yes we rotate, oil change are sticklers about car maintenance. Lesson #1 never change tires just before a big trip. Give it a few days for the bugs to appear. 3:40AM and we pulled out of the driveway and headed south. We drove for 30 minutes and the tire light came on. We found a WaWa and checked the tires and all seemed fine. Anyone who knows my wife and sister-in-law knows we weren’t going anywhere with that light on. We drove home moved all the stuff to my Rav 4 including, thanks to the Mrs. and unbeknownst to me a copious amount of napkins into the glovebox. From there our drive went well - 3 tired drivers and old dog arrived in Sarasota at 9:53PM.

Somewhere over the next few days those napkins jammed the glovebox. It simply would not open - I finally had to force it open. Lesson #2 don’t overstuff the glovebox. Did you know RAV4 glove boxes have plastic workings? Ask me how I know $448! Its a throw away world. I can tell the Mrs feels responsible because she hasn’t said a word about the $448.

Next we brought the highlander back to Costco - bad tire pressure sending unit — did you know?

“The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don't broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion.” The 4 I had replaced cost us $200.

Stuff happens... in the mean time my daughter decided on an outdoor ceremony- the date is 11/4/2020. Yeah in Pennsylvania -Apparently desirable venues book up a year in advance. I commented to the Mrs. I sense a preventable disaster.

It's not whom you marry, it's where

... in the mean time my daughter decided on an outdoor ceremony- the date is 11/4/2020. Yeah in Pennsylvania -Apparently desirable venues book up a year in advance.

Lambeau Field is used for lots of events in the off-season. My brother-in-law is a huge GB Packers fan (owns a piece of the team!) and asked about holding his daughter's wedding at the stadium. They told him she better book it now and find the fiancé later. :LOL:

Somewhere over the next few days those napkins jammed the glovebox. It simply would not open - I finally had to force it open. Lesson #2 don’t overstuff the glovebox. Did you know RAV4 glove boxes have plastic workings? Ask me how I know $448! Its a throw away world. I can tell the Mrs feels responsible because she hasn’t said a word about the $448.

Next we brought the highlander back to Costco - bad tire pressure sending unit — did you know?

“The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don't broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion.” The 4 I had replaced cost us $200.

Interior parts tend to be very $$$ as factory new replacements, and go to discontinued status earlier than any other parts.

TPMS Sensors -- I went to Discount Tire some years ago to replace DW's little SUV's original tires. They were ~5-6 years old and worn down to my replacement level. I came in with a set of the correct Shrader TPMS sensors I bought from RockAuto. I handed the box of them to the young man at the counter, and told him I wanted these installed in the new tires. I taped a note to the top flap of the box with simple instructions, and which vehicle they were for. He, and another counter guy, could not figure out WHY I was replacing them, if the original ones still work. Even when I told him about the expected life of TPMS batteries, they couldn't quite understand why I didn't wait for them to fail first. (DUH!)

When a young man (OK, a KID!) started to work on the car, I was watching from the overhead doors, as I ALWAYS do. He was starting to mount the first of new tires on rim. I called out to him twice, he ignored me. I went over to him, said STOP, install the new TPMS sensors I brought in FIRST. He said there weren't any, I'd have to go up front and pay for new ones. (It was written on the work ticket "Install customer supplied TPMS"). The box was sitting right underneath the job ticket rack. I also told him, like my note on box clearly said, "DO NOT try to reprogram them, they are pre-set at the factory, and can not be reprogrammed, just re-train the car to the new sensors. If you do not have the procedure, I have a printed copy with me from the shop manual."

So guess what... after all 4 wheels were back on the car, he had their universal programming tool out, trying to reprogram the new! And of course, programming failed. He ignored my comment from the doorway. Enlisted two other guys, who tried to help him do it too. Ignored my comments. I was just about to to push the master reset on the situation, when another guy who had come in the overhead doors with some new tires from another DT shop, saw them clustered together, took a look at what they were doing, then heard my comment, read the note on the box, and with some hand motioning towards the car and tool (all ya hav'ta do is train the car to the new ones, look in the tool for the procedure), the kid finally got it done.

This was the last time I used that DT. That was second DT that I have crossed off my list. I now go to one that has primarily older people running it and working there.

I would've replaced just the one that was the problem because it likely got damaged during the mounting of the new tires but then I do all that work myself. $200 for all four sensors install/programming is actually not bad at all!

If the tire pressure was good all around I would've continued on...that's how we drove cars hundreds of thousands of miles prior to 2007 when TPMS became mandatory in the US :) But I totally get it too better safe than sorry.

I thought these were usually replaced when the tires were replaced? Maybe it's just "reset." I don't know...haven't replaced tires in several years.

Interesting note on some cars (like our '12 Highlander)...the spare also has a TPMS sensor. Talk about being annoyed about not being able to reset a light when you don't know that tidbit of information!

I thought these were usually replaced when the tires were replaced? Maybe it's just "reset." I don't know...haven't replaced tires in several years.

Interesting note on some cars (like our '12 Highlander)...the spare also has a TPMS sensor. Talk about being annoyed about not being able to reset a light when you don't know that tidbit of information!

We’ve had the light come on to Lear it is the spare tire...

It's common to replace the stem on the TPMS sensor when replacing tires, as the stem goes through the wheel to outside, is an air seal point to wheel, and is exposed to sun and the elements. Sometimes referred to as a TPMS "kit". Some tire places don't charge extra for it, it's probably figured into their cost of mounting.

Replacing the TPMS sensor itself will be a charge :)

ray--love your stories, very down to earth.
Having been through outdoor wedding planning with our DD, hopefully the venue your daughter finds will also have an indoor option, just in case!

The day before our Florida trip was scheduled we brought the car into COSTCO for ‘new rubber’.

Not a good idea. Tires have to break in a bit, get used to flexing and un-flexing as they go around and around. I knew a guy who blew out two brand new tires that way. Bought them the night before a road trip, then headed out on the highway the next day, immediately cruising 65+ mph for several hundred miles. The tires apparently overheated and blew out. This was 20+ years ago. Perhaps modern tires are better.

Back
Top Bottom