Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Oldest object: 1864? (too lazy to go look) half dime

Object(s) which I have owned longest: electric train set from 5th Christmas

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Everybody's got stuff. Who has the weirdest stuff? Who has the oldest stuff? What kind of stuff have you got?
Oldest - there is a 1800s vintage dime in one of my 2 ceramic piggy banks, made by me during early teens years.
Oddest - I have a variety of objects that LH brought back from Europe when he was a Navy landlubber for 4 years.
The strangest has to be a real hookah (unused, relax ).
2nd runner up is a wooden handle, covered with leather with 2 wooden balls on short chains with a few pointy top iron nails in them (Medieval flail).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_(weapon)
My stuff is pretty mundane - rock and shell collections from childhood, teddy bears, books, etc. I have a driftwood collection that I use in my front garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring09Flowers 007.jpg (425.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 09-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Very cute. Must be gay. Aren't all the cute ones gay or priests? Darn it...
Looks gay to me.
Well, at least in Spain, many gays have that look.
Cute isn´t an adjective we apply to straight men, anyway. When you apply it to a man you are implying that he is probably gay.
Typical reactionary latino machismo? Yes. Sadly.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for my friend being gay or not, it doesn't matter to me as I'm married. I will say this; he's told me if I ever become single, we should shack up together...

Ahhh yeah...he is the handsome one...with a heart of gold.
He looks just fine (very fine indeed ) to me. Great smile.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #25

Perhaps the oldest and oddest thing I have is a bottle that I picked up on my grandparent's abandoned farm. Nothing is left of the farmhouse, just woods and prairie. I found this bottle while squirrel hunting there when I was in high school (With a .22, and yes, we ate the squirrels. Rural Texas, what can I say?)
crayton.jpg
The molded-in lettering says:
"Dr. T. W. Graydon, Cincinnati, O., Diseases of the Lungs."
I Googled that phrase and sure enough, up popped his obituary published in the March 1, 1900 New York Times.
Graydon obit.gif
Gosh I love "teh internets".
Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Perhaps the oldest and oddest thing I have is a bottle that I picked up on my grandparent's abandoned farm.
"Dr. T. W. Graydon, Cincinnati, O., Diseases of the Lungs....
Wonder if it was THE cure? Don't know if it has re-sale value but I've seen that kind of thing displayed from excavation sites in newer buildings. It's fun to look at the stuff that pops up and survives, broken china, spoons, old dolls, etc.

The oldest thing I have was my grandmother's locket; I have a photo of her wearing it in 1913 when mom was a baby; it has mom's baby teeth marks on it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #27

Wierd: My "Daily Manual" prayer book inscribed in gold, "In rememberance of my solemn profession of faith, May 7, 1950". Inside are all the mass cards of my deceased relatives going back to 1952. Included are the mass cards for my mom and dad. Everytime I go to mass, I take this book and reread the mass cards. Don't know why I do this.

Neat: A hand made and hand carved box made of mahogany. My dad and I made it for a Boy Scout project in 1947. It is still like new and it's just filled with momentos and misc junk from my past. Everytime I see it I think of him. Wish I could be the father he was.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Two pennies mashed together by a railroad train from when I was about eight.

A glass piggy bank stuffed with pennies from the mid-60's. The thing must weigh 15 pounds.
Wast34, I'll bet I mashed a couple hundred pennies in my day. Wish I had just one of them. Every day the "dinkie" (steam locomotive) came into town to haul out manufactured goods. One way in and one way out of town. A lot of kids did this and it's a wonder no one ever got hurt.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #29

Oldest: Several meiocene era plant fossils. About 100 million years or so.
Old and weird: Restored 1910 wall phone that works on modern phone lines (yes I use it)
Weird: Homemade tube pre-amp, tube monoblock amps, and tube phono pre-amp
Just plain weird: Me
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #30

Maybe not the oldest or weirdest, but definitely the most disturbing thing I have is my father's photo album from WWII. He was in the first occupation troops in Tokyo after the war. They were actually at sea, on the way over when the atomic bombs fell. They boarded the troop carriers expecting to be the invading army. (I hope that I am remembering that correctly.) There were also even more horrifying photos from Nagasaki, but they have disappeared.

I also have a bunch of souvenirs he shipped back, including a really garish Satsuma ware tea set. (Photo from eBay. There are tons of these around.)
Satsuma ware.jpg
I believe that these were made for selling to the troops and export.
But some of the stuff is pretty. Below are two sake bottles. The little bird on top of the left one warbles and whistles when you pour from it.
Japanese vases.JPG
I put together a photo album of these because I thought they were worth sharing, and to honor my parents who paid for five years at an expensive private university with only a lower-middle-class salary without complaint; not even when I uttered the dreaded words: graduate school.
Here's the link.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-albums55.html
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I put together a photo album of these because I thought they were worth sharing, and to honor my parents who paid for five years at an expensive private university with only a lower-middle-class salary without complaint; not even when I uttered the dreaded words: graduate school.
Here's the link.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-albums55.html
beautiful stuff consider the circumstances...
Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a lock of hair from my first haircut; I'm 62.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
I have a lock of hair from my first haircut; I'm 62.
That reminds me. I have my mothers hair tucked away. I have no idea how old she was when the long pony tail thing was cut off, but it probably was when she went from long girlish hair to the more modern style of the 1920s. Why I keep it, I don't know. I did show it to my daughter to show her that my mothers hair was about the same color as hers. My daughter was totally disgusted with it. I actually think it's kinda neat in a weird sort of way.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #34

When we cleaned out my grandma's house we found the same thing. I looked at mom and said "You wanna keep it?" And she did! Packrat, my mother is...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Read that back in the pocket watch/civil war days young women would plait a watch "chain" for their beaus or husbands from their long hair. A way of marking their territory?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #36

Oldest - my father gave me some rocks which he "lifted" from a Roman bath when he was in high school (he went to junior high school in Morocco and high school in England) - they were lying there and were probably part of a mosaic. I have no idea where he got them and have been intending to make a dish or something out of them. I know now, after having visited many Roman ruins, that the mosaics and materials are fairly rare.

Weirdest - my godfather was a civil engineer in Iran during the Shah's regime. When I visited him in Chile, he handed me some very interesting mineral 'rocks' which were miniature crystals. He found them when he was digging for canals, buildings, etc. We both surmise they are a metal or some mineral which grew in crystalline fashion.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Oldest things:

A set of sterling silver spoons and forks crafted in France in 1847. They are very large and heavy and in very good condition for being 160 year old. I also have a set of dinner knives dating from circa 1850, made of carbon steel blades and ivory handles, also from France.

A "Napoleon" gold coin dating from 1868. It is still in good condition.

Several books dating from the 19th century. One of them dates from 1849 though I have a book which is probably even older (no date but likely 1821-1850 given the subject).
Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have a rock.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I have 5 acres of rocks. Although I haven't had them tested, I'm pretty sure they are several million years old.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Show off...