suggestions for a "new" used car

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Hello all!

I'm in the market for a "new" used car. I thought perhaps I might get some useful leads here on cars to research that would fit the following parameters (or perhaps great sites that help me narrow my focus based upon these parameters):

• narrow (our new place has a very narrow one car garage)
    seats 4 comfortably
    good cargo space for luggage (we expect to pick visitors up at the airport a fair amount)
    smooth ride
    good acceleration on highways
    luxury features would be nice - like leather interior, sun roof, automatic seats
    good safety rating

I love autotempest for finding used cars, but it doesn't help me figure out how to narrow my focus. I need to come up with 2 or 3 models that I am interested in...right now it just seems like there are tons of options for subcompact cars, but none that seem to have a bit of a luxury feel. I'm thinking there has to be a car that combines both features...I hope?

Appreciate any suggestions!

I always use edmunds.com and cars.com to research the specs and features of cars. I make a simple spreadsheet to compare them.

All the parameters you mentioned can be found on those sites.

How about a high end Toyota Prius? Those look narrow to me. A friend of mine has one and it has a surprising amount of luggage space and seats 4 comfortably.

In our area, due to low gas pricing, can get lightly used Chevy Volt for a good price, espiecally compared to new pricing. Not sure it meets your criteria regarding luggage space or acceleration.

In our area, due to low gas pricing, can get lightly used Chevy Volt for a good price, espiecally compared to new pricing. Not sure it meets your criteria regarding luggage space or acceleration.

I like the Volt but it probably won't meet the "seats 4 comfortably" requirement. When I sat in the back seat I had zero headroom - and I'm only 5' 9".

If you are interested in a SUV, the new class of subcompact SUVs has really caught on. I've heard good things about the Buick re ride and options. Car and Driver

Last edited:
subaru forester turbo

I previously owned a Legacy GT, which I believe has the same powerplant. Very fun to drive, spirited car. I was always a bit leery of the turbo's reliability as I understand they have had issues with that powerplant and that was a cause of concern in the trade-in value I was offered. However, there is a niche of fanatics over the car out there and I was able to sell it on Craigslist and get a good offer (the guy drove 3 hours to test drive it and buy it).

When I first bought the Legacy GT premium was about 25 cents a gallon more than regular. During the period of my ownership the price difference became greater. I would not buy a car that required premium gas again.

Around here the only way to get the Forester turbo is to order it or have the dealer try to find one as they are rare, at least around here.

I actually think the Outback is a slightly better car than the Forester for just a little more money. I find the I-4 to be sufficient, but not near as fun as the turbo was.

Ah, Subaru's are a second tier, low volume auto manufacturer. Dealers are few and far between, and there more of a snow car of the north. We seldom even see one.

Go for a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion or Nissan Altima. They're roomy, ride good, run good and get surprisingly good fuel mileage for the size car they are. They also have good dealership bases and parts/service is readily available on any of them.

I previously owned a Legacy GT, which I believe has the same powerplant. Very fun to drive, spirited car. I was always a bit leery of the turbo's reliability as I understand they have had issues with that powerplant and that was a cause of concern in the trade-in value I was offered. However, there is a niche of fanatics over the car out there and I was able to sell it on Craigslist and get a good offer (the guy drove 3 hours to test drive it and buy it).

When I first bought the Legacy GT premium was about 25 cents a gallon more than regular. During the period of my ownership the price difference became greater. I would not buy a car that required premium gas again.

Around here the only way to get the Forester turbo is to order it or have the dealer try to find one as they are rare, at least around here.

I actually think the Outback is a slightly better car than the Forester for just a little more money. I find the I-4 to be sufficient, but not near as fun as the turbo was.

LGTs are fun and yes, there are a few (of us) fanatics that will buy them

The PCV systems on the early turbo models (were crap and) caused oil starvation which is why they have that issue - it's been fixed on the newer models. I have a crawford air/oil separator on my 09 FXT

I run E85 in my forester during the summer....cheap race fuel lol

Last edited:
Ah, Subaru's are a second tier, low volume auto manufacturer. Dealers are few and far between, and there more of a snow car of the north. We seldom even see one.

Go for a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion or Nissan Altima. They're roomy, ride good, run good and get surprisingly good fuel mileage for the size car they are. They also have good dealership bases and parts/service is readily available on any of them.

they are relatively rare down south, that's for sure, there are a TON of them here for a reason

I am partial to the Honda CRV. Ours seats 4 comfortably, has sufficient cargo space, decent gas mileage, decent acceleration, and is comfortable.

Taking notes! Thanks for all of the ideas to explore.

A gently used 2-3 yo VW GTI will satisfy your parameters and, if you get one with a good trim package, you'll think you're driving an Audi..@ a VW price.

PS: It's not a diesel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 8
I am partial to the Honda CRV. Ours seats 4 comfortably, has sufficient cargo space, decent gas mileage, decent acceleration, and is comfortable.

Would second this and add a Jeep Cherokee Limited. It is smaller than the Grand Cherokee. We love ours. They get bad press for some reason, but alongside our BMW, it is one of the best cars we've ever had. Lots of value for the money.

You cannot go wrong with any Honda, and the new generation CRV is really a good vehicle. We're on our second Civic SI.

The new Ford Escape has also been redone, and it's every bit just as good.

A gently used 2-3 yo VW GTI will satisfy your parameters and, if you get one with a good trim package, you'll think you're driving an Audi..@ a VW price.

PS: It's not a diesel.

The GTI's are great vehicles, and the Golf family of cars has always been fantastic vehicles. I'd love to have the diesel and put a tuner on it for pretty incredible perfomance and fuel mileage. All the VW's are different from other vehicles--different engineering makes them difficult to work on.

Outside of the big cities, their dealer base is few and far between. And they're going to be high profit vehicles as their dealers don't have any high volume vehicles (trucks) to pay the bills.

You cannot go wrong with any Honda, and the new generation CRV is really a good vehicle. We're on our second Civic SI.

The new Ford Escape has also been redone, and it's every bit just as good.

I rented an escape a few years ago ; nice vehicle but I couldn't see out of it

I have a 2009 Honda CRV that's loaded. Leather, heated seats, ac, cruise control, premium sound, etc. It has 125000 trouble free miles and averages 24-25.5 mpg in all conditions. AWD and is very good in snow, with aggressive snow tires.

Plenty of storage room. It's not that narrow however, so you might take a test drive into your garage for fit. I like it so much that I talked my wife into a 2013 model and she's very pleased too. She likes the higher seating position and greater visibility.

My previous car was a 2003 Subaru WRX turbo charged white hatchback (a wolf in sheep's clothing). I ran that for 196000 miles and other than regular maintenance, I had to install a new radiator for about $50..

My previous car was a 2003 Subaru WRX turbo charged white hatchback (a wolf in sheep's clothing). I ran that for 196000 miles and other than regular maintenance, I had to install a new radiator for about $50..

I so miss my bugeye - i had a white wagon too. yeah the stock radiators are crappy

Check the April issue of Consumer Reports at your library for reliability records and general recommendations.

I also have a narrow garage space and my 2010 Prius fits great. I've had 6'+ guys ride long distances in the back seat and they remarked on how comfortable it is. The hatchback gives lots of cargo room, but you could go for the Prius v which is more like a wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

you know another sneaky big small car is a nissan versa - rented one and it's really roomy

Back
Top Bottom