Sunset High-Speed Video

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been trying to capture a sunset to use in other videos. I've tried time lapse, but just speeding up standard real time video just looks better to me.

None of this came as a surprise, I expected exposure to be a problem, but now I know just how bad it is - the sun itself is just a blazing/blurry ball of fire. If I turn down the exposure in editing, as expected all the other images turn into silhouettes with zero detail, and there still isn't any definition of the sun itself (except a little definition when the sun starts to sink below the horizon).

So I think I am just going to reshoot without the sun itself in frame, just highlighting the light and shadows effect (much tighter on the lighthouse in this example). But if some of you experienced folks have other suggestions, I'd welcome them. However this is just B-roll so it's not that important - I don't want to buy anything, cameras, lenses, mo' better editing software (allowing overlay), etc. My camera choices are Nikon DSLR video, GoPro or iPhone. I use basic free editing software like GoPro Studio, iMovie or MovieMaker.

As an aside, I was surprised that my iPhone 6 Plus handled shooting at the sun better than my GoPro camera.

Images are just screen grabs from a rough first experimental video.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sun1.jpg
    Sun1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Sun2.jpg
    Sun2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 8
  • Sun3.jpg
    Sun3.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Did you try HDR mode on your iPhone for the time lapse shots? HDR is for handling high contrast shots like this. I don't think it works in video mode (might be an app for that, but maybe not $0.00).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom