Super Saver Shipping Filler for Amazon

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sometimes you find something you want on Amazon that qualifies for super-saver (free) shipping. However, if it's less than $25, you have to find something else to buy to put you over the $25 threshold.

So the trick is to find something that

• Also qualifies for super-saver shipping
  • Is as cheap or cheaper than in the stores
  • You would buy anyway
I used to buy blank CDs, but I don't need those much anymore. Any ideas?

Have you been reading my keystrokes again, T-Al? I've been struggling with this. Problem is I have an Amazon credit card and I get rewards in $25.00 coupon certificates. Well, I also got the bright idea of charging most of my bills to the credit cards so that I get the coupons more often. Got a coupon again on Monday, it's burning a hole in my pocket. You can Google up something like "amazon fillers" and punch in the exact amount you need. Problem is most of those cheap fillers don't qualify for super-saver shipping. Last time, I bought a pair of qualifying scissors for about $5.90. So I'm thinking of just buying something that costs $29.00 and charge the $4.00 to the credit card which will give me, what, about a penny toward my next $25.00 certificate. Good luck.

I used to buy blank CDs, but I don't need those much anymore. Any ideas?
This idea requires the foresight & patience only found in frugal folks like us, Al.

When I'm reading, I keep a book list. Whenever my reading pile runs low, I run the list through our local library's search software and reserve a half-dozen books for my next library pickup. Occasionally the library doesn't have a book that's on my list, so I'll make a note and move on to the next candidate.

After 6-12 months of searching, reserving, & noting, it becomes apparent that the library doesn't think some titles are worth buying. At that point I could fill out a paper request for them to procure the book, but with funding & bureaucracy that could take another 6-12 months.

So what I usually do on my next Amazon shopping trip is to buy a book or two to get over $25. After that much time, the book is usually heavily discounted.

I do this 3-4 times/year.

If you just need a little something to round it off to $25, check out something from here: SlickFillers.net - Amazon Filler Item Finder - Filler Items - sometimes they have stuff that is actually a little useful or adaptable to usefulness.

I keep a list in my google docs account for amazon as well for things that I need but not right now. Right now I have:
butter chicken curry kitchens of India
additional electric toothbrush heads
compact flourescent lightbulbs (CFL)
fram ppa8040 air filter - $8

Most "consumables" seem more expensive at amazon than at my local superdiscount store. Same with food. The butter curry chicken spices are hard to find locally and go for $1 a pack, so I can always load up on those.

I like the book idea too.

After 6-12 months of searching, reserving, & noting, it becomes apparent that the library doesn't think some titles are worth buying. At that point I could fill out a paper request for them to procure the book, but with funding & bureaucracy that could take another 6-12 months.

Nords, does your library have access to the international Interlibrary Loan system? I seem to recall the Hawaii system was running the same library website system as my local system (Dynix? Horizon?), so not sure if that is the same as the Interlibrary Loan system. But we can request and reserve books from anywhere in the world (theoretically) through the ILL system with no charge, and it is all electronic through the library's website. ILL books shipped to your local library branch within a few weeks normally. Most have come from university libraries within our state (to which I can't easily get borrowing privileges).

The ILL system works well in a pinch for those hard to locate or out of print books.

Just be careful with "free shipping" on Amazon. It's a marketing trap that gets even frugal people like us.

My wife signed up for Free 2 day Shipping. We thought it was great at first. Instead of driving to target we could just order stuff on Amazon and it would be at the door in 2 days. However, we've already bought 30 things off Amazon this year. I ordered the wrong item once, another item was broken, and a few of the items we don't use.

I always buy books on Amazon that I want to read and cannot wait for the library to get . I make sure the total is $25 so I qualify for Super Shipping . I then read them and sell them on Amazon so it only costs a few dollars to read a book I'd have to wait months for at the library .

A couple tips:

1) Whenever I think of something I want/need, but it isn't an immediate thing, I add it to my amazon shopping cart, then click "save for later" (they also have wish lists and things, similar idea). By planning ahead, I have stuff in the waiting that meets all your requirements (which are the same as mine - you aren't really 'saving' anything if you buy something else for more). Right now, I must have a half-dozen things in the $5-$15 range that would make good fillers. It also updates any price changes, once or twice I've seen it go for less than when I added it, so I combined a few and got it.

2) Only add enough to get over $25. If you have a $20, $10, and $35 items to buy, place two orders (20+10; 35). That way, if either the $10 or $20 item is delayed, the $35 ships w/o delay (and vice-versa). With the free shipping option, they will delay all the items in one order if any are delayed - but often, they come out of different warehouses anyhow, so they ship separately and it isn't a problem. But why chance it?

-ERD50

I buy kid's books for my grandson. They usually qualify for free shipping, are cheap and he enjoys them.

Nords, does your library have access to the international Interlibrary Loan system? I seem to recall the Hawaii system was running the same library website system as my local system (Dynix? Horizon?), so not sure if that is the same as the Interlibrary Loan system.
Yep, Horizon Information Portal 3.06.A, powered by Dynix. The librarians hate it.

I'm going to have to guess "No" on the international Interlibrary Loan system. It doesn't even look like Hawaii participates in the Mainland Interlibrary Loan system unless you're willing to pony up a $10 fee per item:
http://www.librarieshawaii.org/pdf/ILLWebRequestForm[1].pdf

I'll have to ask our local library's manager, who's a state "Librarian of the Year" winner. Unfortunately, due to projected state tax revenue shortfalls, she and her staff have been asked to take mandatory three days/month unpaid furlough...

Yep, Horizon Information Portal 3.06.A, powered by Dynix. The librarians hate it.

I'm going to have to guess "No" on the international Interlibrary Loan system. It doesn't even look like Hawaii participates in the Mainland Interlibrary Loan system unless you're willing to pony up a $10 fee per item:
http://www.librarieshawaii.org/pdf/ILLWebRequestForm[1].pdf

I'll have to ask our local library's manager, who's a state "Librarian of the Year" winner. Unfortunately, due to projected state tax revenue shortfalls, she and her staff have been asked to take mandatory three days/month unpaid furlough...

Our local library webpage directs to oclc.org and their ILLiad service. Must be something that our local library system has an agreement. I think OCLC serves as an global catalog of book availability. I see that our local system only borrows from ILL sources that are free, giving the patron the option to pay up for those ILL sources that require a fee.

We may have cuts coming to our libraries too. Branch closings and hour reductions are the current plan here.

Besides books, I buy a lot of organic and preservative free grocery items from Amazon that they don't carry at Costco and are too expensive to buy from places like Whole Foods.

Some of the latest things I've bought off of Amazon are oil filters, air filters and books.

A pack of two Purolater oil filters is cheaper than one bought locally for my Toyota. I usually buy enough oil filters at a time to qualify for free shippin'.

-CC

I have an Amazon charge card for an extra 3% towards Amazon gift cards. With that, free shipping, no sales tax and items delivered right to my door, it is hard to beat even Costco prices after I factor in my time.

Oil filters, perfect, thanks.

I just discovered another filler for Amazon - magazine subscriptions. I've found that Amazon is a lot cheaper for magazines like Time than through the publisher and the cost of the subscription counts for free shipping. So I had a bunch of expendable items like auto filters that I'll eventually need in my shopping cart and when I renewed a subscription, I just added it to the cart and had the whole order shipped for free.

We use Amazon quite a bit, especially around Christmas. But, only if we planned to buy it anyway and its less than other sources. I've found that more often than not I find the best prices there. I also get into situations with my project vehicle or computers that I need something ASAP so I signed up for Amazon Prime. Its $79/year but I get overnight shipping for free, and the number of times I use it more than makes up for the $79 annual fee. And I use it for everything else I order there as well (overnight shipping). Nice thing is there are no minimums for Prime. If its under $25 I still get free shipping but its 2nd day shipping instead of overnight.

For things that aren't household items (food, clothing, etc.) we do a lot of shopping on Ebay.

Had one set of Dr. Scholl shoe inserts that I liked. Searched several stores, but could not remember where I found this particular style.

Ordered on Amazon to make up the difference for free shipping.

The idea about foods or spices is good - I'll try that next time.

I signed up for Amazon Prime. Its $79/year but I get overnight shipping for free, and the number of times I use it more than makes up for the $79 annual fee. And I use it for everything else I order there as well (overnight shipping). Nice thing is there are no minimums for Prime. If its under $25 I still get free shipping but its 2nd day shipping instead of overnight.

Missionfinder,

Are you sure about this (overnight shipping for free)? This is my second year with Amazon prime membership, but the benefts are (for $71/year) unlimited free 2 day shipping, no minimum order size, and overnight shipping is $3.99. That's what I get. I just checked the website and what I have is what they say they offer. Unless you went through some other route and got a limited time upgrade or something?

Besides books, I buy a lot of organic and preservative free grocery items from Amazon that they don't carry at Costco and are too expensive to buy from places like Whole Foods.

They seem to have some nice stuff, but what I've looked at (so far)
is not "eligible for free SuperSave shpping". Is there a way to
restrict searches to that ?

I do what ERD does, just pile things in my cart and wait till it is full enough, the shopping cart doesn't seem to empty for a looong time, or you can always click save for later...

Back
Top Bottom