Join Early Retirement Today

Swell timing
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Swell timing

So i'm enjoying a little Halo 2 last night when the wife pops in and says "You arent going to be happy...we have a leak".

Its been raining cats, dogs, small monkeys and other barnyard and zoo type animals for about a week now, and last night some good wind kicked in to help things along.

Despite a concrete tile roof thats only ~7 years old, we now had a steady drip-drip-drip from the ceiling in the nursery. Which attic-wise is the least reachable area and required that I "do the worm" for 30' over the blown-in insulation to reach and source the leak.

My "brighter than the sun" rechargeable flashlight had no charge in it as I cant find the transformer for it.

I end up on the roof at 9 at night in a driving rain with 20mph winds with a brand spanking new walmart flashlight. Found the problem to be a wad of leaves stuffed into one of the roof valleys that was backing the water up under a shingle.

My neighbors were aghast that someone would go up on a roof at night in the rain...they all came out to watch.

Californians... :

They say "it comes in threes". I cant wait to see what the other two small disasters are...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Swell timing
Old 12-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

My "brighter than the sun" rechargeable flashlight had no charge in it as I cant find the transformer for it.

They say "it comes in threes".* I cant wait to see what the other two small disasters are...
Do NOT tempt fate like this, are you CRAZY??* *:

My SO got one of those hand-crank, never dead flashlights for Xmas.* Seems to work pretty well.* Should we send one for the next disaster?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I thought about those hand crank ones and the ones you shake, but so far I havent seen one that throws a serious amount of light. I got a three d-cell maglite last night and its pretty good.

When you're up on a roof in the wind and rain, madly cranking a weak flashlight is NOT a good activity.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

When you're up on a roof in the wind and rain, madly cranking a weak flashlight is NOT a good activity.
Could increase the entertainment value for the neighbors, however.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

He're where I was perched...it was plenty entertaining for the neighbors as it was. Several must be related to the wicked witch of the west and melt in the rain.

Yes, thats gabe's little stork announcement on the lawn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house.JPG (23.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not to play one-up-man-ship (OK, maybe a little bit), but late this fall we had a night of freezing rain and heavy winds. Our neighbor has a B&B and lives on the third floor. Water started leaking in their bedroom. He crawled out the dormer window, climbed up the icy roof in the dark to fix the leak.

We didn't watch, but the story made me cringe. Why don't you guys wait at least until it is light out?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()

My neighbors were aghast that someone would go up on a roof at night in the rain...they all came out to watch.

Californians... :

Hey Parenthesis - Are you in the bay area? It's raining cats and dogs here and the surf is WAY UP!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #8

I hate roof leaks.* Nothing breaks the cozy rainy day mood than dripping water or bubbling paint.* Congrats on a quick solution!

The "Never go on the roof when it's raining" warning has always seemed overly cautious to me.* My roof isn't slippery when wet.* Why would I go up when it's dry -- ain't leakin' then.

We are major wet up here near Eureka, CA.* Waves are jigundo.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
They say "it comes in threes".* I cant wait to see what the other two small disasters are.
Better start stocking up on those pregnancy-testing kits...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ol' Ed here, in Bellingham this week.

Rain followed by storms followed closely by rain followed by another storm followed by more rain.

Loop.

Us Hamsters are wet this week.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I
The "Never go on the roof when it's raining" warning has always seemed overly cautious to me. My roof isn't slippery when wet. Why would I go up when it's dry -- ain't leakin' then.

Aren't you the one who fell off his ladder a few months ago?

Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Didn't REW just mention the Trojans springing a leak?

Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flashlights never were ready when I needed them.

Finally went to the store and bought one that is always plugged into a socket, and always has a charge. Nice to have at least one flashlight in the house that actually does work when everything else goes dark!

Uncledrz
Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Aren't you the one who fell off his ladder a few months ago?
Good point.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
My neighbors...they all came out to watch.

Californians... :

This elicited a memory of when I had moved from Illinois to north of SF in 1972. There was a thunderstorm (rare in Bay area, I soon learned), people came out in front of their houses to watch the light show. :

When I moved to Minnesota from California I found myself outside one night in Feb. watching a snow storm with heavy duty lightning and thunder. : When I talked to the natives about how unusual it seemed, they gave me a patient look and were probably thinking .. Californian... :

Sometimes you hear of someone in Minnesota who was briefly on their roof in winter - there will be a story in the paper about how they hurt themselves real bad putting christmas decorations up or trying to find the source of a leak.... probably a Californian... :
Old 12-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
When I talked to the natives about how unusual it seemed they gave me a patient look and were probably thinking ...
In Hawaii it's hearing "Look, there's a rainbow!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We didn't watch, but the story made me cringe. Why don't you guys wait at least until it is light out?
Cuz then we'd be sissies. Besides, it was fricking raining in my kids room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Hey Parenthesis - Are you in the bay area? It's raining cats and dogs here and the surf is WAY UP!
North of Sacramento...used to live in San Jose years ago...we're getting your weather a few hours later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Uh oh...Mrs. () is in the process of changing birth control pills...
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Ol' Ed here, in Bellingham this week.*

Rain followed by storms followed closely by rain followed by another storm followed by more rain.*

Loop.

Us Hamsters are wet this week.

Hi Ed! I'd say welcome to Bellingham, but I'm in Wisconsin this week. It sure has been wet in Bham. But we had a beautiful streak of cold, crisp, clear sunny days in the beginning of December... too bad you missed that!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Sheryl,

I get my cold, crisp, sunny days in northern Alberta. We've already had -20 C, but it was back up to about 50 F recently.

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
I hope to get one of these * I love bright lights.

[img width=750 height=501]http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/7092/japanhid1cpf7mr.jpg[/img]

Here's a light from a tank a guy rigged up...awesome. Gotta love HID.