Roof Leak

Update on my leaking roof.

Had a highly rated roofer come out to give me an estimate for my roof repair.

Since my roof was only 9 years old I was concerned they did a shoddy job because apparently a boot was leaking.

That assumption was incorrect. They actually used high quality lead boots. What happened was squirrels had eaten some of the lead which caused the leak.

On one pipe they ate the bottom which is why that one was leaking. On the other pipe they had started eating the top where it folds over.

He said to replace both boots with high quality non lead as this will continue to be a problem. He told me they stopped using lead ones due to this issue.

He also found some other minor issues that need fixing (some caulking and nails showing). He took pictures of all the issues and said he will take pictures of all the repairs.

When I called the office person said the manager will call within 2 hours and he called within one. Said he will send someone out tomorrow between 9 and 11 for the estimate and he was here at 9:45.

Total was $700 which seemed a couple of hundred more than I expected but he is repairing some other minor issues. Said other than that the roof is in great shape.

No way was I going on my roof so I have to pay to get it done and wanted it done quickly. He will be here this Thursday to fix it.

Overall great experience so far. Roofer has been in business 30 years and has hundreds of reviews with a 5 star rating.

I had squirrels chew through the roof near the ridge vent.

Roofer waited for a nice sunny day so they'd be outside before filling the hole with wire mesh.

When it was re-roofed I watched the roofers cut & install a new matching piece of...I want to say OSB.

What kind of mad squirrel eats lead?

What happened was squirrels had eaten some of the lead which caused the leak.

Oh great! Now you have crazy (lead poisoned) squirrels running around. :LOL:

Glad you got it taken care of. Not fun to pay $700, but good to get it done and not have to go on the roof yourself.

I had a guy over and he inspected my roof and found all of my boots were in some state of deterioration. Standing on the roof, he asked me to come up and look. No thank you. I trust you. No way I’m going on a roof. Forget what he charged me but I was happy to get those all taken care of. He took care of a couple issues on my daughters roof. Good guy.

It's already 7 years ago and I paid $500 for my vent boot glow up by an expert. I thought it was high.

Turns out it was worth it.

Glad they found the problem, and thanks for the follow up. Just fascinating that the squirrels chew on lead! Those tree rats are insane. Just more proof.

If you get queasy you may want to move on.

I thought I was done with this thread but now you'll know the rest of the story. [emoji17]

So the guy comes on time today and fixes the roof. Didn't even take 45 minutes.

Excellent job by the roofing company. No complaints.

So why am I back.

After he leaves I go back into the attic to remove the bucket I put up there. As I'm heading towards the bucket I thought I had enough space between my head and the attic roof.

You know there are nails all over up there. So I stood up a little and felt a nail go into my scalp. And as I was still moving felt it scraping along my scalp.

It hurt but I thought maybe I just scraped it a little. But no, blood was literally pouring out. I scream out to the wife to get me a towel. Blood dripping everywhere. It was insane.

To make a long story short[emoji16] went to the urgent care (at my wife's urging as I can be quite stubborn or stupid I guess) and got 4 staples in my scalp. At least I was up to date on my tetanus shot.

So apparently I need a hardhat when I deal with tight space attics.

You now know the rest of the story.

th

Solved many leak problems for me on aging roofs around vents and skylights. Comes in clear and black, works inside and out. YMMV

If the drywall is only stained and not damaged, you can often find a matching spray paint for coverage/touch ups and feather it in.

LOL, just invested in a couple cans of this, one clear, one black. $29/can at HD, but seems worth it.

If you get queasy you may want to move on.

I thought I was done with this thread but now you'll know the rest of the story. [emoji17]

So the guy comes on time today and fixes the roof. Didn't even take 45 minutes.

Excellent job by the roofing company. No complaints.

So why am I back.

After he leaves I go back into the attic to remove the bucket I put up there. As I'm heading towards the bucket I thought I had enough space between my head and the attic roof.

You know there are nails all over up there. So I stood up a little and felt a nail go into my scalp. And as I was still moving felt it scraping along my scalp.

It hurt but I thought maybe I just scraped it a little. But no, blood was literally pouring out. I scream out to the wife to get me a towel. Blood dripping everywhere. It was insane.

To make a long story short[emoji16] went to the urgent care (at my wife's urging as I can be quite stubborn or stupid I guess) and got 4 staples in my scalp. At least I was up to date on my tetanus shot.

So apparently I need a hardhat when I deal with tight space attics.

You now know the rest of the story.
I wear a hard hat for attic work. Necessity for bald guys.

So many times I almost trepanned myself in the attic

Back
Top Bottom