Swiss IRA's / Swiss Annuities

Texarkandy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Swiss IRA's & Swiss Annuities

So, should I decide the sky is falling & to don my tin-foil-hat for good - what are these?

If one's faith was shaky in the good ole US dollar, seems to make sense (in concept) to move ones already very conservatively invested retirement $ to Swiss francs, no?

What are these things? Is this something that's do-able, advisable?

Betting on currency fluctuations is much riskier then the stock market and with the current weakness of the US dollar you would be selling low and buying high.

DD

So you want to convert some $ into S. Fr.:

Why not use a S. Fr. CD? They are available at Everbank. BUT: you need to invest $10K min. and they currently pay less than 1% APY for a 12-month CD. Also, unlike US CDs that offer 100% principal safety, foreign currency CDs carry an important risk: Currency Exchange risk. Are you willing to take that risk and do you understand it? The S. Fr. has already appreciated 80% against the $ in the past 7 years, so are you sure this trend will continue in the foreseeable future? Because a brutal trend reversal could lose you a bundle.

I have a good chunk of cash invested in Europe but: 1) I am earning a 4% guaranteed APY on that money (and have been since 1997). 2) This stash was built slowly in 1997-2003 when the dollar was still relatively strong. 3) I don't currently add any money to the stash because I believe that we are close to a $ bottom. I travel to Europe a lot and based on purchasing power parity I am convinced that the dollar is way undervalued.

As far as Swiss IRAs are concerned I had to google them to find out what they were. I had heard of Swiss Annuities before but I would very much hesitate to buy one right now based on what I wrote above.

Back
Top Bottom