Tax return rejection through efile

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Early today I efiled my Mom's tax return. She passed away on 3/13/13 and I noted that in Turbo Tax(deluxe) in the required bucket. It printed the date of death on the hard copy I have at the top of the return. But I get a rejection from the IRS with the below message.......

IND-018 - If 'Primary Date Of Death' has a value in the return, then 'In Care Of Name' in the Filer address in the Return Header must have a value.

I assume it is asking for my name somewhere as I am the one filing the return but I see no place in the program to insert it. You would have thought the Turbo Tax program would have noted this when running the final error check but it did not, stating everything was correct.

Any ideas where I can put this or do I just mail the return this year? Thanks.

Never mind, think I found it. You would think the darn program should flag it in error check though.

Never mind, think I found it. You would think the darn program should flag it in error check though.

Glad you found it... but yes, you would think they would flag something they know would be rejected...

It must've been frustrating to deal with this, especially so shortly after your mother's death.

For anyone else that might run into this, it could be helpful if you said what you had to do to get it accepted. That way if someone searches the forums and finds this post they hopefully can avoid the issue.

It must've been frustrating to deal with this, especially so shortly after your mother's death.

For anyone else that might run into this, it could be helpful if you said what you had to do to get it accepted. That way if someone searches the forums and finds this post they hopefully can avoid the issue.

Actually it wasn't difficult after I read exactly what to do. Below is basically what you do with any rejection. This leads you to your particular problem. I had no problem with 2nd transmittal.

Open tax return in Turbo Tax.
Click File, select Check E-file Status, and then click Fix.
On the next screen, TurboTax will show you what needs fixing. After making the necessary corrections, click Continue.
Follow any other on-screen instructions to correct other errors, and then re-transmit your return.

Given our complex and arbitrary tax system, we should be surprised that any software can get it right most of the time :)

Glad you got it worked out. I can't think of anything that gives me more stress these days than preparing taxes!

That's probably one of the lesser-tested areas of Turbotax. I've found several similar quirks/omissions/errors in Turbotax in how it handles returns for decedents, so be sure to carefully review such returns.

Back
Top Bottom