Mistake on tax return

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I realized that I made a mistake on my grandson's taxes. It happened last year. I spelled his first name wrong and it transferred over the same misspelling. I didn't notice it last year and didn't realize it this year until after I submitted the return (e-filed). Wondering how to handle. If it was a numerical error, I know how to file an amended return. Not sure how to handle this.

The return was accepted, which makes sense, but I'm sure next year if I just use the correct spelling, it will reject due to not matching. I'm thinking I'll have to have him call the IRS (after tax season) to straighten this out. Not looking forward to that. Also, I used the same misspelling, by default, on the state return so I may need to contact them as well.

Any ideas on how to handle this? I'd like to make sure it's right so he doesn't have to keep filing under what is essentially an alias. I once had a mortgage document misspell my name and it always irked me that I had to sign financial documents with that name and then AKA with my correct name.

I'd not worry about it unless a return gets questioned. Since name changes happen routinely, such as with marriage, I'd guess the IRS is used to it. If you keep the Tax ID correct, and pay the taxes, I suspect the IRS will be content.

I agree, this doesn’t look like something to worry about. The last name and SS# are more important.

You can always ask the IRS for the tax year 2022 docs. If the return is there, it’s been processed correctly.

So - just try to file it with the correct name next year? It's his first name. One of the letters got left off. I'm worried that it won't go through electronically and then I'll have a worse mess to clean up. Still, that may be the best way to get it resolved.

FWIW - I'm not worried about the 22 and 23 returns. They've been accepted for federal and the State was sent in (teaching him not to pay $20 to e-file).

Since you entered the SSAN correctly, it shouldn't matter.
The IRS uses the name from Social Security, so changing it on a tax return is kind of irrelevant, I think.

Since you entered the SSAN correctly, it shouldn't matter.
The IRS uses the name from Social Security, so changing it on a tax return is kind of irrelevant, I think.

That would be good but I'm not optimistic. My DGS was born with my daughters' name and then my DD got married and her husband officially adopted DGS and changed his name. When she tried using his new name and his SS#, before she made the change with SS, the return rejected.

Of course, if they actually checked the name to the SS#, it should have rejected. Ugh. Why did I not double check this.:facepalm:

OK, I asked my friendly AI what you should do, and it said if the return has already been accepted you should file an amended return with the correct name.

I'd go with filing an amended return, but wait till the original has been processed.

The reason I think it's worth correcting: my story is more complicated but when I took out a mortgage with my first husband, after I supplied payroll records and a passport in my birth name and signed a statement of declarations swearing that I had never gone by any other name (I did not change my last name when I married), the $##@! bank put my name on the mortgage as Athena HusbandsLastName. I ignored it; didn't want to hold up the closing and *I* knew who I was. Six years later, the bank sends me a nasty letter and tells me that I supplied an incorrect SSN because it doesn't match the name on the mortgage and if I didn't straighten it out I could be subject to backup withholding. We were in the process of divorcing at that point and the house was on the market, and I told the bank they were the ones that supplied false information.

Never heard from the bank or the IRS again. "Athena HisLastName" still shows up as a name I've used in my credit records. I try not to get too steamed up about it; I d have 3 beloved grandchildren with that surname.

But, best to fix it now. You'd think the IRS could match with only one letter difference but you never know.

Fun Fact:

When I started my first job at the restaurant where my mother worked, the owner who was a family friend filled out my application for my social security card. Unfortunately, he didn't use my whole name so instead of something like Jonathan Charles Doe, (not my real name) he applied as Chuck Doe. That is how my SS card read for almost 40 years.

I went through over 9 years in the military and many jobs always using my correct name but the SSN affiliated with the shortened name. Obviously I also filed all my taxes each year with the same credentials. I finally got the name corrected at the local Social Security office when I was about 55. My SS earnings were always listed correctly and I never had the first issue when filing Fed or State taxes and trust me, I filed in a lot of states in my life. I only got it corrected just in case of issues when I decided to retire as I was thinking ahead to Medicare and claiming SS. All my earnings dating back to my first job at 15 years old were properly recorded on my work record.

So, I wouldn't lose sleep over a single letter missing in his name.

For a tax return to be e-filed, the IRS compares you name and SSN # with it's files from the SSA. It will accept a return as long as the SSN and the first 4 letters of your last name match the SSA records.

See this note from Taxslayer, the software the the IRS provides under their VITA program

https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en...hen you e-file your,the exception of a hyphen.

So the IRS doesn't pay attention to the spelling of first names. Just be sure the SSA has the correct records.

So - just try to file it with the correct name next year? It's his first name. One of the letters got left off.
<snip>

That's what I would do.

My DH was an immigrant some years back and filed his tax returns with Middle Initials that he didn't have. English not being his first language he didn't understand what Middle Initial on the tax forms meant. He thought he need to put both his first name initial and last name initial in that spot.

When we got married I just filed taxes without the middle initials that he always filed with. E-filed without issue.

The IRS name match is only on the first 4 characters. If the problem is in the 5th or later characters and the return was accepted, you just fix it next year.

I filed a return today for a family with the last name Rodriguez. Last year's return was filed under Rodriquez and both were accepted with no problem.

Fun Fact:

When I started my first job at the restaurant where my mother worked, the owner who was a family friend filled out my application for my social security card. Unfortunately, he didn't use my whole name so instead of something like Jonathan Charles Doe, (not my real name) he applied as Chuck Doe. That is how my SS card read for almost 40 years.

I went through over 9 years in the military and many jobs always using my correct name but the SSN affiliated with the shortened name. Obviously I also filed all my taxes each year with the same credentials. I finally got the name corrected at the local Social Security office when I was about 55. My SS earnings were always listed correctly and I never had the first issue when filing Fed or State taxes and trust me, I filed in a lot of states in my life. I only got it corrected just in case of issues when I decided to retire as I was thinking ahead to Medicare and claiming SS. All my earnings dating back to my first job at 15 years old were properly recorded on my work record.

So, I wouldn't lose sleep over a single letter missing in his name.

You probably started filing tax returns before there was any automated name matching. When they first started doing it, they would match against prior tax returns or SSA records. For newer taxpayers they just use the SSA database.

This year I realized I had filed a relatives tax return with a misspelling of the street name by missing 1 letter in the middle.

This year I'll correct when I file.

I'm sure the IRS sees lots of typos or mis-reads descriptive things a lot.

Thanks. I feel better knowing about the focus on the first four letters of the last name. I’ll correct it for next year and see how it goes.

You probably started filing tax returns before there was any automated name matching. When they first started doing it, they would match against prior tax returns or SSA records. For newer taxpayers they just use the SSA database.

According to the SS records I downloaded years ago to figure my PIA, my first tax year was 1967 and I was 14 that year. Can't believe they let a mere child work like that earning a whole $0.80 an hour. (Plus tips)

I just discovered I missed reporting $5 in interest from a seldom used checking account with very little balance. (which would translate to $1 less on my refund):LOL: I didn't get a 1099 for it, since it was less that $10 but I know it was credited to my account.

Now, do I file an amended return or let it ride? :confused:

Last edited:
I just discovered I missed reporting $5 in interest from a seldom used checking account with very little balance. (which would translate to $1 less on my refund):LOL: I didn't get a 1099 for it, since it was less that $10 but I know it was credited to my account.

Now, do I file an amended return or let it ride? :confused:

If I don’t get a 1099, I don’t bother reporting it.

^^^^^
That's why I didn't catch the $5. (no 1099) I just stumbled across it yesterday by chance. I like to be as accurate as possible with my returns, but at this point an amended return would probably just complicate things anyway. If they catch it they can take out the extra $1 in tax. :)

Not going to change my WR. :LOL:

Last edited:
I can't imagine the IRS pays much attention to spelling since that would be terribly discriminatory! In English, sure, we have fairly consistent spelling but that is not true of most other languages translated into English which is a large fraction of what the IRS deals with. Chinese people might choose different translations depending on current ethnic affiliations.

I also don't think there is any statutory requirement in the US to be consistent with one's legal name. It is a colonial assumption that one's name is constant and unchanging throughout one's life. In Hawaii at least, and mostly historically, people's names change as they achieve different statues.

I'm not a lawyer but if you were every challenged I think saying you changed the spelling for cultural reasons would protect you. They can't really ask why!

Just try to fly with your name not matching your Id, it is doable but you spend time explaining it.

Back
Top Bottom