Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Tax software?
Old 02-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
Tax software?

I just want a tax software program that can do all the figuring for me, and then I can print it out and just mail it. I don't want to have to put in my SSN anywhere on the program (I'll just write it in when after I print) or scan my 1099's, W-2 or anything that has SSN.

Is there such an animal available?
__________________

Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,485
Hmmm... not sure about the SSN part.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee ba gum
Posts: 24,111
Enter a fake SSN, then use tippex to create a blank space to write in your actual SSN?
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,504
I think some of the software that you download to your desktop don't force you to enter a SSN right away -- especially if you don't use the interview method of data entry. TaxAct should meet your needs. Unfortunately you have to pay for it now.

-gauss
p.s. why the fear of the SSN? Do you have security freezes in place at the Credit Bureaus? Best $30 I ever spent for piece of mind.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,028
I'd expect most offline software would let you leave most any field blank, but if not put in generic data, such as 123-45-6789 that you paste over after printing.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 683
I just tried printing my 2015 return using the installed H&R Block tax software without the SSN and it was fine. Now it will alert you to the missing info when you do the final automated check and it obviously wouldn't let you file electronically without the SSN but then you don't want to do that anyway.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
Thank you for all the responses. So, if I understand correctly, I can go to a local store (not online) that sells software, and I download it on to my computer without the software sponsor having access to my ssn (real or otherwise) or my taxes. In other words, only my computer will have the ssn info and taxes info and it will not be online, correct?

I don't mind entering the correct ssn on my computer, I just don't want it online.

So the next question is what software would be best and reasonably priced to do this without going online?
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Thank you for all the responses. So, if I understand correctly, I can go to a local store (not online) that sells software, and I download it on to my computer without the software sponsor having access to my ssn (real or otherwise) or my taxes. In other words, only my computer will have the ssn info and taxes info and it will not be online, correct?

I don't mind entering the correct ssn on my computer, I just don't want it online.

So the next question is what software would be best and reasonably priced to do this without going online?


Yes but you don't even have to go to the store. You can download the software, disconnect from the internet, install the software and go from there. There is also a fillable PDF format available, but it does not do the calculations for you.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,583
I knew people who were afraid to drive cars with "computers" cuz the government could track you. This thread tops even that. LOL.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I just want a tax software program that can do all the figuring for me, and then I can print it out and just mail it. I don't want to have to put in my SSN anywhere on the program (I'll just write it in when after I print) or scan my 1099's, W-2 or anything that has SSN.



Is there such an animal available?


Maybe you want a CPA ?
__________________
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubt, while the stupid people are full of confidence.”

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
Thank you for all the responses. So, if I understand correctly, I can go to a local store (not online) that sells software, and I download it on to my computer without the software sponsor having access to my ssn (real or otherwise) or my taxes. In other words, only my computer will have the ssn info and taxes info and it will not be online, correct?

I don't mind entering the correct ssn on my computer, I just don't want it online.

So the next question is what software would be best and reasonably priced to do this without going online?
You could even order turbotax from amazon with a disc. You will have to get updates online, but the data in the .tax file will stay local.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,028
A disc will have an outdated version of the tax software. It will likely insist you let it download a newer version, which with at least Turbotax you can do prior to entering any of your personal info. The software will likely be updated weekly through the April filing deadline, and there is no way to know exactly what the fresh downloads are doing, so you will not know if any of the fixes apply to your tax situation or whether you can ignore them.

I suppose if you have privacy concerns you could wait until April before working on your return, by which time most of the software problems will have been fixed. In April you would download an update then input your tax info and ignore future updates.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
A disc will have an outdated version of the tax software. It will likely insist you let it download a newer version, which with at least Turbotax you can do prior to entering any of your personal info. The software will likely be updated weekly through the April filing deadline, and there is no way to know exactly what the fresh downloads are doing, so you will not know if any of the fixes apply to your tax situation or whether you can ignore them.

I suppose if you have privacy concerns you could wait until April before working on your return, by which time most of the software problems will have been fixed. In April you would download an update then input your tax info and ignore future updates.
Turbotax does download fixes not the whole thing, since they are faced with dates when the IRS makes forms final as well as identified bugs. Turbotax saves everything, in a .tax2016 so if you are concerned you could keep the file on a flash drive.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I knew people who were afraid to drive cars with "computers" cuz the government could track you. This thread tops even that. LOL.
I just took off my tinfoil hat .

I did a little more research, and I probably am overeacting. I do fully trust the software sponsors; but, I just need to learn to trust the internet itself more (part of it is my not being very computer savy). I just might take the plunge this year and even e-file.

Actually, maybe I should be more fearful of my own computer being hacked.

In any event, thank you all for all the responses.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I just took off my tinfoil hat .

I did a little more research, and I probably am overeacting. I do fully trust the software sponsors; but, I just need to learn to trust the internet itself more (part of it is my not being very computer savy). I just might take the plunge this year and even e-file.

Tin foil hat back on : Actually, maybe I should be more fearful of my own computer being hacked.

In any event, thank you all for all the responses.
Good to not trust the internet too much. Unlike that State Farm commercial about what's on the internet has to be true.

Practice safe computing (use good passwords/password manager, go to trusted sites, don't have any personal data out there more than really needed, keep your computer security up to date, back up your data) practices. Even then, you can't guarantee your info won't get hacked, but lowers the possibility.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I just took off my tinfoil hat .

I did a little more research, and I probably am overeacting. I do fully trust the software sponsors; but, I just need to learn to trust the internet itself more (part of it is my not being very computer savy). I just might take the plunge this year and even e-file.

Actually, maybe I should be more fearful of my own computer being hacked.

In any event, thank you all for all the responses.
Good for you. Baby steps, but in the right direction.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,028
This year Turbotax has begun to sell your tax return data if you efile. Supposedly there is a checkbox somewhere that you can use to opt-in, or opt-out, the article does not make it clear.

A loan merchant getting the data says, "We can see their credit report, we see their income, and we will be able to make estimates for their level of assets."

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/...deal-on-a-loan
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
This year Turbotax has begun to sell your tax return data if you efile. Supposedly there is a checkbox somewhere that you can use to opt-in, or opt-out, the article does not make it clear.

A loan merchant getting the data says, "We can see their credit report, we see their income, and we will be able to make estimates for their level of assets."

Would you share your tax data for a deal on a loan? | Accounting Today
I think it is pretty clear that you will have the option after you efile. From the article:

Filers who use the new service will see potential savings figures after they have e-filed. If they decide to pursue the offer and share their personal information, they are shown information about federal loan benefits before Earnest begins the refinancing application.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,028
Have any of the early efilers here seen this checkbox/option?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 19,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Have any of the early efilers here seen this checkbox/option?
I vaguely recall being asked if I wanted to apply for a loan (heck no!) but don't remember specifically being asked about sharing data. My default is usually "no" on such questions and would definitely be so for TT.
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tax software to handle foreign tax credit correctly? figner FIRE and Money 6 05-01-2012 03:17 PM
My Experience with TAX ACT tax prep software samclem Other topics 23 04-19-2009 07:34 PM
Tax Prep Software bubba Other topics 7 01-07-2007 05:54 PM
Tax software and IRA questions bpp FIRE and Money 0 12-13-2006 04:48 PM
Almost free tax software, etc. cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 3 01-11-2005 08:07 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.