Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Me, too. I'm almost 40 and I prefer texting to all other forms of contact.
Isn't that just a nice way of saying you enjoy giving folks the finger (thumb)?

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It is interesting that my kids rarely use email. They have email but don't hang on it like I do. One of the people I work with (age 30) texts a lot. I did ask him why do that rather than call. He feels that calling is more intrusive and is also more time consuming. A text someone can read when they have a chance and it doesn't interrupt them if they are in a meeting, etc. It is more immediate and more conversational than, say, an email.

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus
Still not texting or even emailing much. I send perhaps 5 text messages per months and less than 20 personal emails per year. It's not that I don't have friends and family to keep in touch with, it's just that I'd rather talk than type when possible. So I like to pick up the phone and call people. Maybe they find me annoying...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
you guys make me feel so young.

my wife is also not able to have a phone conversation that is less than 10 minutes, so texts are perfect.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My brother feels that texting is a plot to destroy the English language, and hence an immoral activity.

I text with a few people, only average 5 - 10 per day. However, I always use full words, proper spelling, and correct grammar (to the best of my ability). Just my little protest.

Personally, we've gotten into video Skyping recently every few days as a better way to visit with DD and DGD. It's pretty nice, better than a phone call for making you feel closer to that person. And it's free.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
Age 52 here and never send text messages. I can barely type with two fingers so two thumbs just isn't happening.
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
1 in 3 teens sends 100+ text messages per day and 1 in 2 teens sends 50+ text messages per day!
Holy Toledo! What happened to... talking? Is it too 20th century?
Having watched our teen try to coordinate with 4-5 friends for an after-school meeting, I can only imagine the ringing phones, voicemail retrieval delays, and and other chaos that would ensue if they tried to place voice calls.

Texts never go to voice mail. Your textee has time to think before reacting to them. You can carry on a "conversation" with several people before arriving at a consensus.

They're also frequently at a place where they can't let their phones ring/vibrate or where they can't talk out loud. By the time they're out of school (or largely out of parental hearing) the habit has been set.

I don't carry a cell phone, but I'll send a text/e-mail to our kid through our e-mail SMS gateway when she's out with friends yet there's an issue that needs her attention before returning home. Leaving a voicemail just doesn't cut it when you can leave a detailed text.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 AM   #68
gone traveling
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
You guys make me feel so young.
Uh, maybe because U R?

From one over twice your age (and no, I don't text either...)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.
You should see the teens texting in Thailand... while driving their motorbikes. Oh my Buddha

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote