Auto repair under recall...whoops it isn't - WWYD?

The price for the repair sounds about right. But your dealer proceeded with work without a signed estimate, and still handed over the bill? They have a lot of fault there IMO.

As far as I know you don't get estimates for recall issues...that's where the mistake happened...

It's OK if you disagree but after almost 50 years in a business where this can happen it's not so black and white to me. We've been on both ends and usually something can be worked out. First of all I'll assume this wasn't deliberate on the dealer or workers part. Absolutely he should have been told first but sometime sh$% happens.

And I kinda came around after getting more of the story. He really would have had to pay anyhow, so (as discussed now), maybe he just lost getting a lower 2nd quote, but maybe not.

So overall, though it was kinda hairy, very little harm/foul. Life goes on.

-ERD50

...my son's car was apparently originally registered in California. The dealership warranty service person gave a warranty person at GM the VIN and the latter told the former that the car had an active PZEV warranty. Presumably this was because GM didn't yet know that the car had ended up in Idaho. ...

GM said it was covered by warranty. Whether they knew they were talking with an Idaho dealer or not isn't relevant. GM should be responsible for their mistake and pay the dealer for the repair and the dealer should give the OPs son a refund. Cars move around all the time and if where the car is registered is important to whether the warranty applies then GM should know enough to ask where the car is registered. Also, shouldn't an Idaho dealer and tech know whether certain repairs are covered by warranty?

GM said it was covered by warranty. Whether they knew they were talking with an Idaho dealer or not isn't relevant. GM should be responsible for their mistake and pay the dealer for the repair and the dealer should give the OPs son a refund. Cars move around all the time and if where the car is registered is important to whether the warranty applies then GM should know enough to ask where the car is registered. Also, shouldn't an Idaho dealer and tech know whether certain repairs are covered by warranty?

I agree there was a mistake made. As mentioned earlier, my son feels that the mistake was mostly GM's, based on the transcript between the dealer and GM and so may pursue it with GM.

I also agree GM should accept responsibility for their error. Whether that extends to covering something that normally would not have been covered is a more nuanced question. At the moment I'm thinking the cost difference between what it did cost and what it would cost if my son shopped the repair - because it's reasonable to think that he would have - is reasonable, and maybe throw in the $200 estimate that he would have had to pay as compensation for his hassle. One could argue for more I suppose. If I remember to I'll update the thread once he makes a decision how to proceed or if he gets anything from GM.

Back
Top Bottom