Ten Brands That Will Disappear in 2012

Saab would be a shame, love those quirky cars, even if they do eat oil and turbos..........:)

Awww man..... not A&W!

I need teenburgers on a regular basis :(

Screw the foot longs and root beer, what about my Craftman tools ? Guess a lifetime guarantee just ain't gonna be what it used to be !

Everyone on this thread knows that the link is speculation on brands that might disappear in the opinion of the author, right?

Screw the foot longs and root beer, what about my Craftman tools ? Guess a lifetime guarantee just ain't gonna be what it used to be !
I heard they're keeping the K-Mart name and phasing out Sears, presumably some/all Sears stores will become K-Marts. Sounds backwards to me, K-Mart is a less favorable brand than Sears IMO, but evidently I'm part of a minority.

And I am sorry to see A&W go to, it was considered the best root beer when I was growing up a hundred or so years ago.

I still get A&W Root Beer (diet these days). Guess I will have to go with store generic or Dad's.

FYI, Craftsman tools are no longer exclusive to Sears; they're now available at my local Ace Hardware store (along with K-mart and Orchard Supply Hardware stores).

I still get A&W Root Beer (diet these days). Guess I will have to go with store generic or Dad's.

According to the article, the author believes that A&W beverages will continue. I hope so; taste-wise, diet A&W root beer and diet Dr. Pepper are the only two diet soft-drinks that I like.

donheff said:

Diet A&W is our drink of choice. The others have caffeine or don't taste as good. It's amazing how few diet drinks are available. Most fast food places only have diet cola.

A&Ws aren't around much anymore, but they should take a page from the playbooks of Sonic, Dairy Queen, and What-a-burger. In Texas, at least, nearly every small town has one of those three...

A&W was one of the stops on our circuit back in the day, along with two drive-ins - one with carhops, one with telephones - that long ago closed.

I'd bet that Sears will survive at least through 2012.
No idea about the others.

I know more people who work for Sears than people who shop there. I don't know anyone who shops at K-mart. Surprised either of them is still hanging on.

Saab would be a shame, love those quirky cars, even if they do eat oil and turbos..........:)

I don't see the attraction but don't worry. Saab got sold to a Chinese Auto maker. Just make sure that you don't slip on the Rice when getting in.

No more Corn Pops? They were right about 2012. The world is ending.

Diet A&W is our drink of choice. The others have caffeine or don't taste as good. It's amazing how few diet drinks are available. Most fast food places only have diet cola.

I thought A&W was the best [diet] root beer, until I found Stewart's....but then I found IBC Diet Root Beer. I think IBC is infinitely better than all of the others.

I don't see the attraction but don't worry. Saab got sold to a Chinese Auto maker. Just make sure that you don't slip on the Rice when getting in.

Heck, I have two Hondas in my driveway now, I like rice......:) One of my college buddies had an old 900S turbo, that things really screamed.......:D

but then I found IBC Diet Root Beer. I think IBC is infinitely better than all of the others.

IBC is quite good, but expensive. Sprecher is based here in Milwaukee and they make a GREAT root beer.......:)

Heck, I have two Hondas in my driveway now, I like rice......:) One of my college buddies had an old 900S turbo, that things really screamed.......:D

I'm front a different era, I like to stand by the exhaust and listen to the music of a big block not a sewing machine.;)

I heard they're keeping the K-Mart name and phasing out Sears, presumably some/all Sears stores will become K-Marts. Sounds backwards to me, K-Mart is a less favorable brand than Sears IMO, but evidently I'm part of a minority.

I must be part of the minority too. Sears feels like an outdated retailer, but k-mart is downright :yuk: IMO.

For the root beer aficionados in this thread, comprehensive if not definitive Great American Root Beer Showdown

Thought this was a clever quote too
To build Hires' awareness, Hires became the first U.S. businessman to aggressively advertise his product, subscribing to the principle that "doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark: you know what you are doing, but nobody else does."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom