Texans do you remember 1986 JMJ

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
1986 was the best and worse for us in Houston . Oil was 7.00 a barrel , we had the terrible Shuttle accident , lost seven Astronauts .

But only one city in the world could hold this concert . This was Rendevioux Houston . Took nine months to set up the stage , over a million people watched . All Interstates leading to Houston had to close . People just stopped on the highways. Mohmar Khadafi's brother was being held in a hotel downtown Houston by the CIA . The CIA wanted to shut the show down . All air travel over Houston closed . But Houston pulled it off , at the time the largest concert in the world . Today it is the third , but still the largest in North America Jean Michael Jarre

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...=155e7cbe9781f8f036d3770ebec65c88&action=view

I lived in Houston in 1986 and I have literally never heard of this.... I also have never heard of Jean Michael Jarre.

I lived in Houston in 1986 and I have literally never heard of this.... I also have never heard of Jean Michael Jarre.

I was in College Station in 1986, and I never heard of this concert or of Jarre either. I must admit that 1986 was a very busy year for me. I see that it is in Wikipedia.

I lived in Houston then :( but I don't remember that event. Also, I've never heard of all interstates coming into the city shutdown (except maybe during a couple of Hurricane conterflow events) and the only time I recall all air traffic over the city being suspended was right after 911 for a few days. (I even landed at IAH in a ~Cat 1 storm once, although I don't think the airport was actually getting anywhere near cat 1 winds at the time)

Last edited:
I lived in Houston then and, although the name alone didn’t ring a bell, the Wikipedia article (thanks pb4uski!) jogged my memory. I think I watched the broadcast live on TV - I recall lots of special lighting effects. Fortunately we lived far enough south (near NASA) that traffic didn’t affect us.

We had just moved to Houston and were there . It truly was an incredible show . I think most people had not heard of JMJ because being Europeon and playing electronic music . I remember for months the choppers flying over the heights all night setting up the effects off the buildings . The whole week the mayor chose to have parties every night downtown . A huge bicycle ride through Houston. Houston as a city was hurting Oil was down and the shuttle accident. Kind of interesting the first African American astronaut was on that shuttle and he was to play a Sax on one of JMJ's songs . Because he was lost another musician played the sax and he was backlit with pictures of the astronaut on the buildings .
Several Houston Choirs were involved along with the Houston orchestra . Houston was chosen because Houston has the most modern skyline in the U S . Jean Michael Jarre holds the record for the largest concerts in the world , I believe that being Moscow . Houston ranks # 3
Ha Houston folks don't remember ...you missed a lot of fun.

The name seemed familiar... checked my youtube list for an entry I saved years ago, had never heard of him before that. This was the sort-of animated video:

I don't remember but that was during my concert/music dark period. Also, I was in the DFW area and was thinking fondly of Texxas Jam of 1978 & 1979 at the Cotton Bowl. Of course the Texxas Jam was also held in Houston but since it was in Dallas I didn't have much incentive for paying close attention to mega concerts in H-town.

Back
Top Bottom