Join Early Retirement Today

Texans do you remember 1986 JMJ
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Texans do you remember 1986 JMJ

1986 was the best and worse for us in Houston . Oil was 7.00 a barrel , we had the terrible Shuttle accident , lost seven Astronauts .

But only one city in the world could hold this concert . This was Rendevioux Houston . Took nine months to set up the stage , over a million people watched . All Interstates leading to Houston had to close . People just stopped on the highways. Mohmar Khadafi's brother was being held in a hotel downtown Houston by the CIA . The CIA wanted to shut the show down . All air travel over Houston closed . But Houston pulled it off , at the time the largest concert in the world . Today it is the third , but still the largest in North America Jean Michael Jarre

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...88&action=view

Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lived in Houston in 1986 and I have literally never heard of this.... I also have never heard of Jean Michael Jarre.

Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I lived in Houston in 1986 and I have literally never heard of this.... I also have never heard of Jean Michael Jarre.
I was in College Station in 1986, and I never heard of this concert or of Jarre either. I must admit that 1986 was a very busy year for me. I see that it is in Wikipedia.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #4

I lived in Houston then but I don't remember that event. Also, I've never heard of all interstates coming into the city shutdown (except maybe during a couple of Hurricane conterflow events) and the only time I recall all air traffic over the city being suspended was right after 911 for a few days. (I even landed at IAH in a ~Cat 1 storm once, although I don't think the airport was actually getting anywhere near cat 1 winds at the time)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No memory of it at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendez-vous_Houston

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No memory of it at all.
+1

After escaping moving from Houston in 1981 I made a concerted effort to ignore anything going on there.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Jean Michael Jarre
YEP - I was in grad school at the time but remember it well
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #9

I lived in Houston then and, although the name alone didnít ring a bell, the Wikipedia article (thanks pb4uski!) jogged my memory. I think I watched the broadcast live on TV - I recall lots of special lighting effects. Fortunately we lived far enough south (near NASA) that traffic didnít affect us.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

+1
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had just moved to Houston and were there . It truly was an incredible show . I think most people had not heard of JMJ because being Europeon and playing electronic music . I remember for months the choppers flying over the heights all night setting up the effects off the buildings . The whole week the mayor chose to have parties every night downtown . A huge bicycle ride through Houston. Houston as a city was hurting Oil was down and the shuttle accident. Kind of interesting the first African American astronaut was on that shuttle and he was to play a Sax on one of JMJ's songs . Because he was lost another musician played the sax and he was backlit with pictures of the astronaut on the buildings .
Several Houston Choirs were involved along with the Houston orchestra . Houston was chosen because Houston has the most modern skyline in the U S . Jean Michael Jarre holds the record for the largest concerts in the world , I believe that being Moscow . Houston ranks # 3
Ha Houston folks don't remember ...you missed a lot of fun.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #12

The name seemed familiar... checked my youtube list for an entry I saved years ago, had never heard of him before that. This was the sort-of animated video:
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't remember but that was during my concert/music dark period. Also, I was in the DFW area and was thinking fondly of Texxas Jam of 1978 & 1979 at the Cotton Bowl. Of course the Texxas Jam was also held in Houston but since it was in Dallas I didn't have much incentive for paying close attention to mega concerts in H-town.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote