Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
...They can get into the best and cleanest of homes.
Right, whatever.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't care how big, brave and macho you think you are, when you see a bunch of 1-1/2 to 3 INCH cockroaches THAT FLY, too, you will scream!!! I am not exaggerating the size of tree roaches either, in case you think I am joking...not.
I'm just happy our large population of "four legged fire ants" can't fly, at least not yet. When they do, I'll welcome ya'll to come live in TX...and sell you my place - cheap!

" Long a gnarly problem for farmers and ranchers, snorting packs of feral hogs are increasingly creating headaches for urbanites.

Just ask Carol Hobbs, an executive assistant who lived harmoniously in a wooded, West San Antonio neighborhood for 23 years until the bristly intruders started plowing yards and creating general uneasiness two months ago.

"They told us to put up a fence, but feral hogs don't care. They'll tear up fences," said Hobbs, who has fought back by trapping 15 of the wild pigs and by pressuring the city for a long-term solution.

... feral hogs [are] "four-legged fire ants" that have marched rapidly across almost all of Texas' 254 counties and into 39 states. Texas has the largest wild hog population at nearly 2 million, or about half of the estimated national population, and it is growing."

MySA.com: Business

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

The bug stories are grossing me out. Stop it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The bug stories are grossing me out. Stop it.
I'm sorry, Martha.

It's just that all the insects in Texas suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome. And @ 6 per, that's a lotta legs!

Would it be OK to talk about Geckos and Skinks? Do you have lizards in your house too? The geckos are so cute (they are not green, nor do they sell insurance) and are usually up to some antics.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cute little lizards are fine.

As long as they don't drop on your head like the scorpions. I think I would have a heart attack if a scorpion fell on my head. Ish!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #66

me_no_boss: You aren't from Texas, are you? Otherwise, you would know that flying giant tree roaches do and can fly into any place they darn well want to...including your home.
Sorry you are grossed out by all the bug talk, but in southern Texas, it is a reality. Nobody warned me before I got there....unfortunately.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Florida has no pests to speak of.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Florida has no pests to speak of.
And you have no message board varmints from Florida either?

As I remember things, Florida has a seasonal visiting of the swarms of little black bugs (I can't remember the name). Maybe love bugs? They land on everything, get your windshield gooey when driving, etc., etc.

Here in Minnesota we have the army worm cycle. Every three to five years (?) the dang little things rise up from somewhere (spontaneous generation?) and swarm the ground, covering huge tracks of deciduous greenery, munching their way to gluttony and, I suspect, an orgy of bug sex and egg laying at the end. Sometimes, while on the move you can't see the ground. It just undulates in waves of little lite green thingies marching toward more trees. I once was riding around a corner on my bicycle on a little one lane paved road as a full division of them were crossing to get to the other side, and my wheels went out from under me. I slid about six-eight feet. The dang little worms built up a little one inch mound on my leading edge as I went across the teflon like surface. What a greasy mess and fun ride home.

But I'm sure it's worse in Texas?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post

But I'm sure it's worse in Texas?
Dang straight.

We don't have army worms but we do have several varieties of what are commonly referred to as 'worms of mass destruction'. They don't attack kids on bicycles, preferring large groups of Harley riders instead.

Now there's a greasy mess and fun ride home for ya'.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
[I]... feral hogs [are] "four-legged fire ants" that have marched rapidly across almost all of Texas' 254 counties and into 39 states. Texas has the largest wild hog population at nearly 2 million, or about half of the estimated national population, and it is growing."
Gosh, I don't understand. Texas has a large & active community of Hawaii expats who'd be delighted to invite some of those feral piggies to preside at their next luau... mmmmm... kalua pork...

If they're not able to handle the backlog then I know a few guys in Kipahulu who might be interested!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kipahulu feral pig hunters.jpg (70.0 KB, 64 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #71

Nords, send them on over. No sense in us hogging all the fun!

(BTW, is that the Hawaiian version of "having a monkey on your back"?)

Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
me_no_boss: You aren't from Texas, are you? Otherwise, you would know that flying giant tree roaches do and can fly into any place they darn well want to...including your home.
Sorry you are grossed out by all the bug talk, but in southern Texas, it is a reality. Nobody warned me before I got there....unfortunately.
You are correct, I am not from there.
To the best of my knowledge, no one ever escaped from Texas.
Here are two smileys to make up.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gosh, I don't understand. Texas has a large & active community of Hawaii expats who'd be delighted to invite some of those feral piggies to preside at their next luau... mmmmm... kalua pork...

If they're not able to handle the backlog then I know a few guys in Kipahulu who might be interested!

That hog doesn't even count... you can lift it.... heck, I have some hunters that work with me and they told me of a story where this guy shot a HUGE hog... they went to get it and it was still moving... the guy emptied a clip form a 45 into the hog... and it was STILL moving... weight in at 700 to 800 lbs...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
There is the old golf joke about the guy who was playing golf when the urge struck and he got bit on....

Never mind, that one has been done to death.

Not much to joke about with Copperheads. My wife spent the day yesterday with a trio of girlfriends from her school days. She was just telling me how one of them nearly died from a Copperhead bite she got while clearing brush from her home near Argyle, Texas. She said it was so painful that on the way to the ER she was begging the paramedic to amputate her arm.

I will have to admit that REWahoo should have an easier time keeping yankees and Kaliforneeans away from SA with the bad weather there. In Houston the weather hasn't been too bad, 101 with 94% humidity - it must have been really miserable in San Antonio. Of course, they don't have anywhere near as many alligators as we do.
Argyle! That's where I live, I'm getting the hell outta Dodge. Think I will head for Florida. Funny thing though you tell people these things and they think you are exaggerating. We have a ranch in Laredo and I tell people about every day things that happen there and the look at me like I am full of, well you know. Any who even though I was born here I will be 2 steppin my way out asap.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #75

Yes, I agree...people DO think you are exaggerating about all the negatives in Texas. They think people who are in Texas or have lived there are keeping it all to themselves, I guess. NO, none of us are kidding. These horrors exist there. Do some internet homework and verify.
Texas public schools give...what? Something like 1 or 2 full years of a Texas history course to brainwash kids into believing they are in the Holy Land of States. No wonder native born Texans will never leave. Who would leave the "best" State in the country in their minds? There is a REASON Texans love Texas so, and it starts right in their public schools.
That was THE reason I refused to get too heavy into a romance with a Texan: I knew no Texas guy would ever leave Texas. Am I right? Or am I right, Texas folks?
In Illinois, I think we got something like 1 or 2 six WEEKS on Illinois history. Big difference, and you will not find anyone in Illinois that thinks they are in the Holy Land of States like Texans either.
Texans say: "If every State was run like Texas, America would be better run." Well, in some ways they just may be right, but they brainwash those kids in public school really early and well.
Has anyone mentioned that between Austin and San Antonio it is THE premier flash flood area of the country? You haven't lived until you hear the stories about someone getting caught in a 1-2' flooding on a street..and they find their body the next Spring in a drainage ditch. Currents are too strong.
I could go on and on like REWahoo with information, but not sure out-of-Staters would believe it. No, folks not from Texas, we are not lying here.
And I have been to Laredo many, many times, Texas2Step...I believe you, cause I know you are telling them the truth about that border town.
Granted, before 9/11 and the tightening of the borders, so many Americans from La., Ok., Tx., etc. came down there as meds are so much cheaper in Mexico (for 30 cents you just go thru a gate at the border), and it was such a blast buying things cheaper on the Mexican side. Laredo is not without it's charm, of course....but old and rundown. The WalMart was one of the better and newer buildings I saw there. Anyway, last time I was there there were hardly any Americans, and the fun was gone from Laredo. Wonder if it ever picked up? Maybe not as the last time I checked, the American government was warning Americans to stay away from the Laredo area of the border: too many gunfights on the Mexican side, called Nuevo Laredo, from drug sellers! Again, I am not lying...check on the internet. I forget how many people have been killed in that area from the drug wars since 9/11, but alot. Again, verifiable on the internet.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 AM   #76

The previous message was brought to you by the Texas State Anti-Chamber of Commerce.

In addition to serving as Chairman of the Board of the organization, Orchidflower also holds the positions of President, CEO and is currently serving as EVP of Marketing while "W" is on temporary assignment in Washington.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

From someone living in TX (originally from MN...geez, those 20 below winters that last 6 months and giant mosquitos in the summer sure are nice!!!), I'm so happy that Texas is coming across so badly here...we already have too many people here in Dallas and don't want anymore...the traffic will only get worse if you move here, so stay away (kidding, of course).
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

And our bridges will collapse at any moment.

And I'm so glad there's no flooding anywhere else, like Wisconsin or Ohio.

BTW, I grew up in Wisconsin. WE never had any state history ejacashun. That's why I left.

;-)
Old 08-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Texas public schools give...what? Something like 1 or 2 full years of a Texas history course to brainwash kids into believing they are in the Holy Land of States. No wonder native born Texans will never leave. Who would leave the "best" State in the country in their minds?
That brainwashing works, too. A former co-worker was transplanted to Texas while she was in high school and got to observe this "from the inside." She told me the state loyalty ran so high, that when her school's marching band was invited to a competition in Oklahoma, a few kids quit the band because they didn't want to set foot outside of Texas.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

Now hold on a minute Orchid...this is one Texas boy who is gonna high tail it outta here as soon as I retire. and I can tell you Laredo is gotten no better. It is really part of Mexico and the Mexicans there don't like the Gringo's even though the border still says it is in the United States. The Wal-Mart is run like a Mexican street market. If you go to any fast food place you better Habla or they won't understand you. Oh and you wanna talk horror stories I was treed by a pack of coyotes on our ranch. And I had no gun! I have seen hordes of illegals walking through our ranch. They have broken into our house and stole of all things beer and vodka. Oh yes I love this great state. Texas 1000 miles from anywhere 2 miles form hell. I love it. NOT!