Join Early Retirement Today

Texas....Love it or Whatever!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Texas....Love it or Whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkjr View Post

We are looking to have a condo paid for in San Antonio by the time we actually retire. Is anyone else ERed in San Antonio? I am from there originally, but havent been back since my pre-military/college days almost 18 years ago. I'm thinking its a good place due to the low cost of living (we are in central coastal California right now---anything is cheaper!) and nearby military bases.

cmonk, you poor devil. Are you ever in for an unpleasant surprise.

This place has gone to hell in a handbasket and California imports (even Texas expats) have found living Texas in general and San Antonio in particular to be a miserable existence. I'd recommend you stop short of any attempted eastward migration before it's too late. Life in AZ or even NM is an improvement over what you'll find here.

I don't want to subject you to any further public ridicule regarding your misguided plans to retire in San Antonio, so PM me if you want more sordid details of what life is really like here in Northern Mexico.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are looking to have a condo back in San Antonio paid for by the time we retire. We will have our military pension (that keeps up with inflation) and a thrift savings plan annuity to keep us in the black until any social security payout at 62. I also have an Roth IRA, but I have stopped contributing funds there because of all the penalties for accessing this when I retire. Right now I am 42...looking to retire at 48.

--- --- ----- ---- ---- ----- ----- ------- ------ ----- ---- ----- -----
Do you already own a condo in San Antonio? Or are you thinking of buying one?

I am a fellow Texan who retired in early March 06 after 26 plus years of military and civilian (Army) service. My family (3 kids) and I moved from NY to TX because of the high cost of living and to take care of my parents.

We ended up settling in a small West Texas town.

During my time we did not save as much as we could but we invested the $$$$ in our family and I saved enough $$$$ to pay cash for a house, get it renovated and buy a new 2007 truck (in aug 06). For us the life in a small town is just what the doctor ordered. Neither my wife and I have worked since my retirement and we live a modest life. We do not have a house note or a car note and our only expense is a credit card which we are paying off.

I have relatives who live in San Antonio and they love it. My sister, an E-8 in the Army, will be retiring in San Antonio because of the health care facilities, the commissaries, etc.., etc.. that are available to military retirees. There is also the universities which will allow her to finish her master's degree. Then there is also all the AF and Army bases which might be a source of employment if one chooses to work.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
.... I am in Houston and man it is crazy on the roads now.... and going to a mall or anyplace is just crazy... but, it doesn't work, y'all keep coming....
They keep coming because few people will step up and spread the word about the lousy (and buggy) quality of life in TX. Out of stater's don't seem to understand that the myth of "wide open spaces" around here is just that - a myth.

Here's an example of what can happen to those who move here from California and elsewhere:

A couple from out of state bought a lot down the road from us and built their dream home. After a few months of scorpions, rattlesnakes, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, rednecks, ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, and unbelievably high property taxes they evidently snapped. One day a large UHaul truck appeared in their driveway and it and the couple were gone the next day, leaving a "for sale" sign in the front yard. That was almost a year ago and the house remains unsold. Rumor has it they moved to DC, preferring the two-legged varmits found there to the multi and no legged variety found here.

I only tell this story to illustrate what can (and does) happen to those who don't heed the warning about "living" in Texas...

Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #4

Quote:
REWahoo hates all the people that keep coming to Texas...
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I don't hate the poor, misguided souls who move here. What I do hate is the fact they didn't know any better.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
They keep coming because few people will step up and spread the word about the lousy (and buggy) quality of life in TX. Out of stater's don't seem to understand that the myth of "wide open spaces" around here is just that - a myth.

Here's an example of what can happen to those who move here from California and elsewhere:

A couple from out of state bought a lot down the road from us and built their dream home. After a few months of scorpions, rattlesnakes, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, rednecks, ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, and unbelievably high property taxes they evidently snapped. One day a large UHaul truck appeared in their driveway and it and the couple were gone the next day, leaving a "for sale" sign in the front yard. That was almost a year ago and the house remains unsold. Rumor has it they moved to DC, preferring the two-legged varmits found there to the multi and no legged variety found here.

I only tell this story to illustrate what can (and does) happen to those who don't heed the warning about "living" in Texas...
Mr. Wahoo:

You forgot to tell folks that it's even worse than you say: none of the wayside rests in Texas have washrooms, so even passers by will have a miserable time while passing thru that state, i.e. go thru Arkansas--or Nebraska--when driving cross country. Canada is a better option too, by far. If you can't hold it for 1200 miles, go elsewhere.

Psst: How was that? Not to rain on your parade.

--greg
Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Psst: How was that? Not to rain on your parade.
Not bad...

However, you failed to mention that not only do our wayside rest stops lack restrooms, most also lack trees or shrubbery. And the few that have utility poles offer scant privy privacy.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand. . . .

We have been in Texas in March and April. Big Bend state park is amazing. You can ride for miles and see no one. You can view petroglyphs and see birds you see no where else in the US.

If west Texas is to brown for you, there is east Texas in the spring. The dogwoods are amazing. The campgrounds are lovely with great trails and a lot of space. There is electricity so Al wouldn't have to listen to generators.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #8

Martha, those pictures are from New Mexico and Arkansas.

Don't be messin' with people....

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... scorpions, rattlesnakes, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, rednecks, ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, and unbelievably high property taxes...
I figure you have this text saved to your hard drive as filename "Welcome to Texas", so I thought you'd want to add flaming mulch piles to the list. That made a huge impression on this ol' Hawaii boy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #10

You forgot to mention man-eating alligator gar.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #11

Have visited TX (Houston area & El Paso) and had the "experience" of driving across the state (I thought 16 hrs to Disneyland from NoCal was bad!)

Like the Chinese car, I'll pass on living in TX - to each their own

(this from a crazy CA blonde who voluntarily lives in overpriced NJ!)
Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not bad...

However, you failed to mention that not only do our wayside rest stops lack restrooms, most also lack trees or shrubbery. And the few that have utility poles offer scant privy privacy.
And if you're brave enough to whip out Mr. Happy under those conditions, you might end up with "a chigger on your trigger", so to speak...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I figure you have this text saved to your hard drive as filename "Welcome to Texas", so I thought you'd want to add flaming mulch piles to the list. That made a huge impression on this ol' Hawaii boy...
Even though some might say you are easily impressed, I'll take your suggestion up with the board of directors down at the Texas Anti-Chamber of Commerce.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And if you're brave enough to whip out Mr. Happy under those conditions, you might end up with "a chigger on your trigger", so to speak...
There has to be a joke somewhere about Texas Copperheads and Cottonmouths.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That was almost a year ago and the house remains unsold. Rumor has it they moved to DC, preferring the two-legged varmits found there to the multi and no legged variety found here.

Hey... where is it at and what are they asking for it? Might be a wonderful horrible place to live...
Old 08-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Hey... where is it at and what are they asking for it? Might be a wonderful horrible place to live...
It's possible that one persons dream home is another persons nightmare...

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Old 08-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's possible that one persons dream home is another persons nightmare...
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail
Whew, tough sell. Which should they add first, another bathroom or another bedroom? And what does "Area: 2400" mean?

I'm pretty sure those clouds in the background are burning mulch smoke. They claim that the fire is out but heck, some of those Pennsylvania coal-mine fires burned for decades...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #18

Area 2400 means you don't want to live there. Yuck!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
And what does "Area: 2400" mean?
That's something that was never mentioned around here until all the real estate disclosure laws were enacted. It seems it was the WWII version of what is now known as "Area 51" out in Nevada.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure those clouds in the background are burning mulch smoke...
Maybe. More likely just another "Area 2400" side effect.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
There has to be a joke somewhere about Texas Copperheads and Cottonmouths.
There is the old golf joke about the guy who was playing golf when the urge struck and he got bit on....

Never mind, that one has been done to death.

Not much to joke about with Copperheads. My wife spent the day yesterday with a trio of girlfriends from her school days. She was just telling me how one of them nearly died from a Copperhead bite she got while clearing brush from her home near Argyle, Texas. She said it was so painful that on the way to the ER she was begging the paramedic to amputate her arm.

I will have to admit that REWahoo should have an easier time keeping yankees and Kaliforneeans away from SA with the bad weather there. In Houston the weather hasn't been too bad, 101 with 94% humidity - it must have been really miserable in San Antonio. Of course, they don't have anywhere near as many alligators as we do.