Texas Town to Abolish Property Tax

Good idea, I'll bring this up at the next town council meeting :)

I live in an unincorporated area, so I don't pay city property tax. I do pay county property tax and a state forest fire protection tax ($.09 per acre classified as forest).

It doesn't look like they are abolishing it per se, just planning to suspend it (or set the rate to $0.00) for 2015 because they are getting enough revenue elsewhere. It's also just the city portion of the property tax, which is likely a small percentage of the overall tax burden still due.

We're still paying property tax but our city (Raleigh) froze rate increases for 4 years during "these difficult economic times" aka the Great Recession. The only impact I can see is the city closed the boathouse nearest my house so I have to drive 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes if I want to rent a boat and go out on a lake. I'll take it!

No doubt all the renters will see a significant reduction in their rent. :rolleyes:

As others pointed out, it is just the city tax, from the 'good link':

The average home value in Von Ormy is about $60,000. The property tax rate is 25.5 cents per $100 valuation, meaning residents could see an average tax decrease of about $150 per year if the plan moves forward.

Residents would still be required to pay property taxes to the county as well as school, college and hospital districts.

So I doubt any landlord is going to feel competitive pressures to lower the rent $12.50 per month (reduced by tax deduction).

If they dropped the municipal tax from my bill, I might not even notice it, Including an SSA for roads within our municipality, it is less than 10% of my total property tax bill.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom