Votes: 24 24.7%
  • no cooking here - we're going to a restaurant

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • will be home alone or with the same family as any other day

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • this will be a get together with extended family, friends, other guests

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters
Going with the Patch Ski Club of Stuttgart, Germany, to Stubai, Austria, and staying in an Austrian resort and skiing for four days. Last week, the turkeys were delivered to the hotel so that they can make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for all of us Americans on the ski trip. The last time I was at this hotel, their chefs prepared the most awesome pumpkin or kurbis pie I've ever had. I am so looking forward to this.

Last year, we were at a resort in Zermatt, Switzerland, skiing. They served some gourmet meal that wasn't turkey. I love turkey and a traditional Thanksgiving meal. so I'm happy we've changed the venue this year.

I will definitely be having a cheese steak when I am there . I grew up in Pa. so I know that guilty pleasure .

It is almost worth living in Philly just for the cheese steaks. I love all the contenders for "Best Cheese Steak". I have found a farm market near me that sells locally-raised beef and one of their cuts is very lean chipped beef in one pound packages. I make my own cheese steaks with onions, garlic, a fresh tomato and whatever cheese I have around. Not traditional, but close enough.

Philadelphia always brings back memories of my Dad . When we were kids he would take us on the train to Philadelphia sometime between Thanksgiving & Christmas . It was an awesome day . We would go to see Santa Claus at one of the big stores and go to Horn & Hardart for lunch . Sometimes we'd even take in a movie . The last time we went we saw the movie " White Christmas " . Whenever I see that movie now it brings back great memories of my Dad.

It will just be DH and I since we moved to Vegas last March, but we'll be sticking with tradition.

Hubby LOVES my cornbread dressing so I wouldn't want to disappoint. BUT I'll be roasting a chicken instead of a turkey to go along with it.

When we return next week, I'll be heading to the store to catch the "after T-Day" turkey sale specials. I will roast my own T-bird in a few weeks, halfway between the holidays. Gotta have leftovers of our own...:D

We will be hosting dinner. There will be 23 including ourselves. In the past we had more guests; some nieces and nephews have moved away. The meal will be turkey with all the trimmings, and a roast beef.

I'll be spending time with my daddy. I don't think he's too fond of turkey, so I think I'll make some beef stew. :)

The past three years DH and I join his brother and sister-in-law (who live an hour away) for a FABULOUS buffet at a local country club. I look forward to it all year long......cannot think of anything better than an entire room filled with wonderful food and another room filled only with desserts of every kind all for the taking. Yum.

Calories will be balanced over the next weeks.....but well worth it.

DD & SIL will be driving to Dallas to spend time with SIL's family as usual. DW, DS and I plan on attending a charity run / walk early on the morning as we usually do. A pancake breakfast outside is provided after the races and the weather forecast looks promising so far.

DS will have come straight off night shift to attend so he'll retire to bed late morning and he'll be on night shift again Thanksgiving evening. So, we'll be having Thanksgiving dinner on Friday instead and we are going to have a pork loin and DS always likes me to cook Yorkshire Puddings when we have a special meal at home.

Roastbeef_with_yorkshire_puddings.jpg

Alan, no fair posting pictures. Makes me hungry.

Looks delicious. And it's only sunday...

Patience, grasshopper.

Change in plans!

Our neighbor up the street just invited us up for Thanksgiving dinner. We've helped them out over the years with several home-improvement projects and our bunny has donated a steady stream of "fertilizer" to her orchids. We'll also help her repair & set up her houseful of holiday ornaments.

They're from Trinidad & Tobago, and she buys curry powder in five-pound bags. The turkey will be smoldering on the plate, along with roti and other yummies!

Alan, no fair posting pictures. Makes me hungry.

Looks delicious. And it's only sunday...

Patience, grasshopper.

Thanks Michael - I'm getting hungry myself already!!

Yorkshire pudding with rich roast beef juice! Yum!

Even though our 2 kids were aged 4 & 6 when we left England they still request Yorkshire puddings when we get together for special meals.

Change in plans!

Our neighbor up the street just invited us up for Thanksgiving dinner. We've helped them out over the years with several home-improvement projects and our bunny has donated a steady stream of "fertilizer" to her orchids. We'll also help her repair & set up her houseful of holiday ornaments.

They're from Trinidad & Tobago, and she buys curry powder in five-pound bags. The turkey will be smoldering on the plate, along with roti and other yummies!

That sounds absolutely brilliant!!

Going to spend the week at the house we just finished in WV where we hope to move full time next spring. Will be our first holiday in the new house and we're really looking forward to the week. Our son will join us for dinner and a friend of his on Friday before coming back on Saturday. Dinner will be a traditional turkey and dressing along with my DW's wonderful noodles.

Going to spend the week at the house we just finished in WV where we hope to move full time next spring. Will be our first holiday in the new house and we're really looking forward to the week. Our son will join us for dinner and a friend of his on Friday before coming back on Saturday. Dinner will be a traditional turkey and dressing along with my DW's wonderful noodles.

Your beautiful new home near Berkley Springs, right? I remember the pics you posted some time ago. I hope you have a great first holiday there. What a wonderful way to break in your place. Building lovely memories by sharing special times with those you love will make the home so much more wonderful when you move there full time.

Our plan is drive 250 miles and let someone else do the prep and cooking.

We're visiting the in laws. They don't really eat turkey, so we're doing traditional turkey and fixings the day after on our own. Can't complain, nothing like having chinese style duck, chicken, some seafood dishes and a ham for Thanksgiving.

Got word we're now going out to Chinatown for Thanskgiving, never did this before...should be interesting, as my SIL's mother is coming and she's a PITA!

Not sure what's going on, in the last week I've made bread pudding, haupia pudding and now classic flan yesterday, under the excuse that we have too many gallons of milk and extra dozens of eggs that need to be used up.

For years I have seen very fine hotels and restaurants have these big buffets at Thanksgiving for more money than I would normally spend for a meal (which would be anything over $30 for one meal), but I never booked cause it was so pricey(they run about $70-100 each now) once I added costs for a couple people. Well, this year it is just me, so I am taking myself to a big holiday buffet at one of these places where they have 5 buffet groupings cooked by a top Chef...hee, hee, hee... Might as well treat myself well I say!:D Yeah, I know I can't eat that much, but what the heck...once I will probably do this only.

You know, I loved being a mother...but I think I'm going to enjoy also these next 20-30 years in geezerhood and worrying essentially just about myself for a change....well, until I get grandchildren, of course.:blush: Some habits do die hard....

We're cooking a traditional turkey dinner at our home, as always. I grill the bird outside on the Weber charcoal grill (after soaking it in brining solution for a couple days) - everyone seems to love it cooked that way. I split the prep. of side dishes with my wife......she makes her favorites, and I make mine. Our dinner group will be a little smaller this year....my brother and sister can't make it, so it will just be stepdaughter and her husband. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I always look forward to it :)

I have had several memorable Thanksgiving meals. In 1982, I ate at a diner in Saratoga Springs NY, with a bunch of sad and lonely looking guys, none of whom I knew. Turkey loaf and canned peas -- yumm! Then I went to work the midnight shift. In both 1983 and 1985, I ate Thanksgiving dinner 400 feet underwater. The food was marginally better. In 1984, we went to my brother's house. SIL boiled the turkey and served stuffing on the side which was nothing but white bread cubes sprinkled with water and celery salt. Fortunately, we were able to get a cheeseburger on the ferry ride home.

Long ago we sometimes went to grandparents' farm for Thanksgiving. They raised turkeys (the bronze ones). Turkey was stuffed and put into wood stove about 5AM. Smelled it for hours.

Your beautiful new home near Berkley Springs, right? I remember the pics you posted some time ago. I hope you have a great first holiday there. What a wonderful way to break in your place. Building lovely memories by sharing special times with those you love will make the home so much more wonderful when you move there full time.

We're right outside Romney, WV. DW and I packed up the food and all three dogs and arrived by noon. It's 70 degrees and sunny, beautiful day for a long walk. Will be a bit cooler as the week goes by, family not here until Thursday so we'll spend a couple of days exploring the new surroundings thanks for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom