The 4-Hour Work Week

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just heard about this guy who wrote a book with that title:

The 4-Hour Workweek and Timothy Ferriss

If this is the new wave of FIRE/work less books, it doesn't bode too well for the genre. It's much more about luxury living and getting the most toys and travel NOW....waiting until you are fifty isn't part of his plan. Definitely not LBYM. It's about being part of the New Rich right after college (doesn't hurt that he went to Princeton and that daddy is a well-known scientist).

He recommends outsourcing work and tasks (like having someone triage his e-mail in India) overseas for $5 an hour---no concern if that isn exploiting someone elsewhere in the world. And getting something for nothing (living and travel). Some negative reviews (there's a few, amidst all the glowing 5 star reviews) on Amazon note that he seems to be full of the white male privilege mentality. Some actually accuse him of writing all the reviews since he is a huckster! He makes claims that can't be verifid, like for kickboxing championships. He was earning $40,000 a year working 14 hour days and now earns $40,000 a month working 4 hour weeks (a lot of this comes from book sales and then of course he sells BrainPower vitamins for $50 a bottle...)

Occasionally he does say something interesting like describing mobility as "a series of mini-retirements, alternating periods of activity and rest to prevent burnout and premature aging.” But all in all, I like the FIRE LBYM vibe on this board so much more than what this guy is all about. Do you think this is one isolated instance or do you think this is the mentality of many 20 to 30 somethings?

Nope! I tried to do a search for it and couldn't find it. Oh well, always a day late (or in this case, a few months, but who's counting:confused:?)

Can a moderator attach this to the linked thread, please:confused:?

Back
Top Bottom