The Best and Worst States to Live in

Gazing out on the beautiful, blue Pacific from my LR window, I have to agree on No. 6. If "positives" were all one looked at, I truly believe HI would win in a land slide. It's like all of those "places rated" books and articles. Once you average every category (the "good" and the "bad") some strange things can happen. Still, I understand the negatives of living here - primarily high cost, but also, perhaps (one party) government corruption and non-responsiveness, traffic and, I suppose, rock fever. But, as others have pointed out, there are many things one can do to enhance the positive and ameliorate the negatives. As always, YMMV.

I for one am jealous, Koolau! When my GF retires in 10 years, we could "afford" to live in Hawaii with a decent house in a fairly decent area based on my math. But it would have to be on terms I am afraid I couldn't hold to. That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I for one am jealous, Koolau! When my GF retires in 10 years, we could "afford" to live in Hawaii with a decent house in a fairly decent area based on my math. But it would have to be on terms I am afraid I couldn't hold to. That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter. :)

From what I understand Vegas is THE spot Hawaiians vacation to. Go figure! At least you would feel right at home. As far as BBQ and drinks on the Lanai, it might cost 1/3 more as what I recall on the mainland. Just don't own a car, and you can probably cover it. Just thinkin' out loud, here. YMMV

That being BBQing and drinking on the deck at home for entertainment and walks to the beach, with maybe a dinner out once a week. No impulsive trips to Vegas, or ski trips, and probably golfing would have to go... But in my 60s maybe I will slow down enough that wouldn't matter. :)

Don't count on that slowing down. I'm now 10 weeks post hip replacement, 70+ and today I walked just less than 6 miles, up and down hills enough to get 52 floors on my fitbit.

I think people slow down only when they are more or less on the glide path to heaven, or when they have a temporary illness or injury, from which they will usually recover completely. It may be a long glide path. When I was in my 20s I used to bird hunt and rabbit hunt with a guy in his early 80s, and there was no riding around in jeeps.

Ha

I'm surprised MN came out at only 61%. Most people, at least here in the Twin Cities, like it here quite a bit. I've been amazed at the number of people born and raised here who have never left and have no desire to do so. No doubt the poll, however, was taken during or right after this very, very hard winter. It certainly was a winter to cast doubts on the desirability of staying here permanently.

And yes it is an area with fabulous biking/nature/walking/parks opportunities.
61% is pretty good in view of extremely cold weather for almost 6 months in a year. I am waiting for spring to come. Agreed with the outdoor recreation.

Another totally meaningless Gallup poll, posted here for entertainment purposes only...
Gallup used 4 categories: "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in." Imagine how un-newsworthy the story about the percentages who said their state was as good as any, especially if you included the +/- 5% margin of error.

It's easy to write surveys to mislead, easier still to report on the same

>Residents who have the lowest opinion of their states:
>Rhode Island: 18%
>Illinois: 19%
>Mississippi: 26%

Those are the percentages of those who said their state was the best or one of the best, not those who thought their state was one of the worst.

Gallup used 4 categories: "the best possible state to live in," "one of the best possible states to live in," "as good a state as any to live in," or "the worst possible state to live in." Imagine how un-newsworthy the story about the percentages who said their state was as good as any, especially if you included the +/- 5% margin of error.

It's easy to write surveys to mislead, easier still to report on the same

>Residents who have the lowest opinion of their states:
>Rhode Island: 18%
>Illinois: 19%
>Mississippi: 26%

Those are the percentages of those who said their state was the best or one of the best, not those who thought their state was one of the worst.

So true! Good observation. The percentages that thought their state was one of the worst, were:

Rhode Island: 17%
Illinois: 25%
Mississippi: 15%

The only state with a higher percentage than these three (percentage that thought their state was one of the worst, that is) was:

Connecticut: 17%

So, it appears that by either statistic these three states fell close to the bottom of the list.

Don't count on that slowing down. I'm now 10 weeks post hip replacement, 70+ and today I walked just less than 6 miles, up and down hills enough to get 52 floors on my fitbit.

I think people slow down only when they are more or less on the glide path to heaven, or when they have a temporary illness or injury, from which they will usually recover completely. It may be a long glide path. When I was in my 20s I used to bird hunt and rabbit hunt with a guy in his early 80s, and there was no riding around in jeeps.

Ha

That is what I worry about, HA. Plus living with a woman who is known to change her mind frequently. Even if I could limit my activities, I'm not sure she could hold up to the plan. She likes to be on the go and that usually involves spending cash.

Why is a state the "best" place to live just because the residents have a high opinion of it?

It's hilarious that TX has a 68% approval rating.

the latter

not that TX isn't a great place to be young, work hard, save $$$ and move somewhere nice - that's what I did

yep 40 years in the 77018

83702 is much more livable

It's hilarious that TX has a 68% approval rating.

I agree. I think that many Texans polled for this survey must be trying to discourage various undesirables (Yankees, vegans, non gun owners, Californians, people who don't enjoy HS football, non beer drinkers, etc.) from moving to Texas.

No doubt the true number is closer to 98%.

yep 40 years in the 77018

83702 is much more livable
Isn't just about anywhere more livable than Houston? And isn't that true of almost every other big city in the US?

I think it's rare when anyone posts "I'm gong to retire and move to Chicago, or LA, or NYC, or any other big city (other than SF if they have the $)".

Last edited:
I think it's rare when anyone posts "I'm gong to retire and move to Chicago, or LA, or NYC, or any other big city (other than SF if they have the $)".

Perhaps. But, I know several former work who having lived 30+ years out in the woodsy boonies, sold their several acres to a developer or rich city slicker, and bought a high rise condo in the big city. They love the great views, no rural problems like power failures, deers in the garden, etc., the variety of restaurants and cafes, the variety of entertainment available, and not having to drive to get there.

Yes, but there aren't many places that have the $$$ or jobs that Houston does.

Although over the years I met hundreds of wonderful people that for some reason chose to retire in Houston. My parents among them.

We always thought we would retire in New Braunfels or San Mucus, until we travelled to the NW.

Remember back in the day when Wimberley and SM were really nice small towns? Last time we drove through there I didn't recognize them.

I guess somewhere around Burnet wouldn't be that bad.

Remember back in the day when Wimberley and SM were really nice small towns? Last time we drove through there I didn't recognize them.

Ah, Burnet - rhymes with 'durn it'. :)

"I'm sorry, the Hill Country is full and no longer accepting reservations. If you'd like to be placed on a waiting list and notified when we have a vacancy, please see the front desk."

If you want a real shock, take a drive through Big Lake, Texas, then head up north to Midland. ;)

Ah, Burnet - rhymes with 'durn it'. :)

"I'm sorry, the Hill Country is full and no longer accepting reservations. If you'd like to be placed on a waiting list and notified when we have a vacancy, please see the front desk."

Wait until the majors find oil under Fredricksburg and move in the trailer parks.

I never spent much time in West TX - I do remember when it seemed to take an eternity to get to Camp Strake from Alief

Back
Top Bottom