I Live in the Worst Run State in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're number 2! We're number 2!

I totally agree with this, IL is definitely like number 2 :rolleyes:. I lived there for 27 years in the Chicago burbs only because of a job. After retiring I moved back to my home state as fast as I could. Home state is rated 6th best by the way.

Lots of IL bashing here but I'll share it. I grew up there near Chicago in the 50s-70s. It was always corrupt. I also couldn't wait to get away. I'm now in my 30th year in MN, moving from the second worst state to the second best. I am definitely staying here--high taxes but life is very good.

An important list, but if you don't take into account things like the fiscal responsibility of the State, you may see number 5 get out of hand, and find that you can't get anything for your house, making a move very expensive. No man (or woman - how politically incorrect of Simon and Garfunkel!)) is an island.
That's from the 17th century poet John Donne. S&G sang "I am a rock", in the first person only.

I always question these "best and worst" lists since they may not look at the right attributes and may not weight the results to my particular wants/needs.

What the study shows does seem to be "true" about Hawaii, but not totally instructive about the way things are run. They seem to be saying "As long as you can fund all the wasted spending, it's okay."

Anything further would get political. YMMV

Going by that list (which I consider mere clickbait), over 90% of my life has been spent in the bottom half. So I guess that means I wouldn't know good state government if I tripped over it. :LOL:

The OP said: "I Live in the Worst Run State in USA".

I do not know that much about NM, despite having it as a neighbor state. Yes, I have made a few trips and stayed there, both for leisure and for business, and not just passing through.

What I like about NM is its annual camping permit being only $225 for non-residents. And if I want electric hook up to have AC in the summer, it's only $4/day extra. I have kept this option in my back pocket as a place to live out my life if another Great Depression hits. So, don't badmouth it too much please. :)

I will stay right where I am in North Dakota

I lived in Bowman, ND when I was a kid in the late 60s. All I remember is that it was cold, all the time, and snow drifts everywhere. I guess it gets nice in the summer?

Have you lived there all of your life?
After college I lived in Minneapolis for about 6 years and then decided I did not want to live in the city anymore. It was mid 70s and crime was on the rise. I moved to Fargo in 1974 and my father passed away in 1976. I was offered a job at Cavalier Air Force Station and finished my career there. The winters are usually very cold and long but I am used to them by now. The people are friendly and always willing to help out. As Charles Kurault noted years ago "in North Dakota the winters are a joke that keeps people together".

Last edited:
North Dakota, #1 best run, #50 in climate/weather. Doh.

We just are at the end of a 2-3 day blizzard. Oh well, move along.

According to the list Texas is #7.

Here's one of the biggest problems I see with that according to the article: "In the last five years, 1.2 million more people have moved to the Lone Star State than have left, the second largest net migration of any state in the country." Well at least most of those immigrants seem to be moving into the big cities (the 3 areas of the state that are mega messes) and leaving the rest of Texas alone, for the most part.

Aww there's plenty room for more friendly folks from elsewhere. Just don't bring any more liberal ideas and get too close to my bobware fence.:cool:

Well, at least, Illinois beat somebody:LOL:

I do not see how!!!! Illinois has to be the worse run state hands down....

New Mexico is just a poor state... lots of immigrants and illegals with low education... at least they are paying their bills....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom