The Commute

You reminded me of my worst commute ever. KC to Johannesburg SA via London.

Your story reminded me of one of my favorites. We had updated some custom software for a large client, and everything went smoothly except at one of their locations. The manager in California was having a bad day and demanded that I get out there ASAP and do the install for him (I was in Cincinnati).

It was ridiculously simple, and I explained to him over and over that I could talk him through it over the phone in five minutes, but he wasn't having any.

So I had to get on a plane and fly to San Francisco, then rent a car and drive to Modesto. Stayed the night at a great hotel across the street from a brewpub and thoroughly enjoyed my dinner. Next morning I went to the site and spent the promised five minutes (actually a bit less) doing the install while he watched.

But he still refused to be satisfied. Insisted that I stick around until it had completed a full day's cycle to be sure it was right. This was on a Friday. I gave him my cell phone number, told him to call if anything went wrong, and went back to San Francisco where I spend a delightful weekend. When there was still no call from him on Monday, I flew home.

Needless to say, we billed him a ridiculous amount for that trip, since it was a time and materials contract, and he was too embarrassed to ever mention it again.

It was ridiculously simple, and I explained to him over and over that I could talk him through it over the phone in five minutes, but he wasn't having any.

<snip>Needless to say, we billed him a ridiculous amount for that trip, since it was a time and materials contract, and he was too embarrassed to ever mention it again.

DH had a friend a high-powered consultant in the oil industry, who has flown on an emergency basis from the West Coast to the Middle East to troubleshoot a machine that wasn't working. He arrived, looked it over, said, "Dammit, I TOLD you not to touch this switch!", flipped the "Standby" switch off, and the machine started up again.

Very expensive consult.

Of course, I also had those years when my commute time and distance was zero - when I was deployed on a Navy submarine. There, you are at work 24/7.

As a full time traveler the commute was the job. On top of a normal work week I had the commute. 36 years of 1500+ miles, driving, flying etc. per week. Hilton Hotels alone- 3000+ nights. Two years into retirement and I don't care to remember all the details

In 40 + years of work , looking back I had about two dozen work locations not counting temporary field assignments.

I think 3 of them were 15 minutes or less one way. Most were 1+ hours each way

One was 89 miles one way , graveyard shift. 1 1/2 hours to work , 2 1/2 hours return. ( The job was actually enjoyable , when I could stay awake . 2 Guards at the gates, no management. I was the entire production workforce on that shift :LOL:)

Literally years behind the wheel commuting, looking back , what a waste.

Current commute is 26mi each way, usually 55+ minutes.

At 62yo I'm done with the nonsense.

My commute for a few years during the 2008 - 2011 melt down:

4 am Monday heading to PDX to catch a 6:00 am flight to JFK then 2.5 hours drive to Southbury CT.
3 pm Friday drive from Southbury CT to JFK to cacth a 6:00 pm flight to PDX. Arrive in PDX around midnight then home around 1:00 am.

Repeat that for 4 years. Looking back, I am not sure how did I do it?

Back
Top Bottom