The Compute Stick

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Intel's Compute Stick comes out in April.
The concept of computer enabler plug in "stick" is already in the marketplace in different forms, ala ChromeCast, but the configuration and the actions that are available are still in the formative stages.
Plug it in and and the TV becomes a monitor... In addition to streaming, different levels of operating systems, Windows 10 compatability, and a whole new world of software developments.... plus keyboard, mouse and bluetooth. Rumor price $149.

A breakout product........ Maybe.......:cool:

PC magazine's early, short, video review of the product and the concept, for Intel and other competition.

Edit to warn... the video has a commercial lead in... :(

Why Do We Need Intel's Compute Stick? - IGN Video

Last edited:
I was waiting for the advertisement to end so I could see the article. Fooled me.

I was waiting for the advertisement to end so I could see the article. Fooled me.
Yeah... sorry about that. Should have just linked an article like this one. Intel Compute Stick vs. Asus Chromebit: Should you wait for Chrome OS? | ExtremeTech
the lead in...
Now that the Intel Compute Stick is available for pre-order from Amazon, Newegg, and some other places, let’s take a closer look at this thing. First announced in January at CES, and like the Asus Chromebit Google unveiled a few weeks ago, the Compute Stick is exactly what it sounds like: an entire computer on a stick. All you need is a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. Both the Compute Stick and the Chromebit are about the size of an older thumb drive, although a closer comparison form-factor-wise is a Google Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV Stick, thanks to the HDMI connector. But which one should you get? Should you pre-order a Compute Stick now, or wait for the Chromebit? Let’s take a closer look
more....

Looks interesting, it may have a place, but I think there are better alternatives for me. For example, for ~ $125 I purchased a cheap tablet with hdmi out and bluetooth. So now I'm thinking about getting a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad and using this tablet (or buy another) with my TV.

We have some 'smart tv' apps in the TV, but they aren't anywhere near as good as using the tablet for netflix or youtube. And with the tablet, I can access anything (hdmi out just mirrors it).

Then the tablet is still a tablet (even has GPS), and doesn't need to be tied to a monitor/TV. Just seems more flexible to me.

-ERD50

Yep!

When I started working as a draftsman, my "compute stick" was a slide rule...

How far we've come...

I'm somewhat disappointed that no one has made a peurile reference yet. :cool:

While I think a cheap tablet is a better option now, it won't be long before a stick like that will have plenty of power and cost just $50. And since many of us will have a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad for control, it could make a lot of sense.

I just bought this on amazon, inspired by this thread to make more use of my tablet on the big TV:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZL1IQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have a micro-HDMI cable for the tablet. Hopefully, this keyboard makes control easy from the couch.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom