Join Early Retirement Today

The dust begins to settle...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The dust begins to settle...

Its been a pretty busy 3 weeks. We're almost done with a major renovation.

We started by tearing off all the trim on the house, replaced some dry rot and put about 8000 nails into the siding since the original construction used the wrong type of nail and not enough of them.

We then pulled all the old windows, installed all new vinyl argon filled low-e windows, and had the house stucco'd. We have the first coat on now and we're waiting about 7 more days for that to cure before the next coat. I have to water the house every night to help the concrete cure more evenly. So far despite plenty of water, the house hasnt grown at all

We pulled down both side fences and both front fences, all about 19 years old and pretty well rotted and put up a new fence using composite fence boards. After shopping around, I found a redwood composite board that looks pretty darn realistic and was only about 35c a board more than cedar/redwood.

Next week the garage doors get replaced, both fireplaces get marble, the kitchen gets a granite counter and new sink to go with the new wall oven and cooktop I put in last month, new gutters go on and anything not stucco'd gets painted. Then the stucco finish color coat goes on.

Then I'm going to dig a hole in the ground and bury all my tools.

Contractors looking for work are still falling out of the woodwork. Guys I'd have had to wait 3-8 months to get to my house are available in a few days to a week. Prices are pretty reasonable.

This is the first morning in quite a while where I didnt have to get up at 5:30, lay out the electric cords, unpack the tools, fire up the compressor and move the cars out of the driveway and then put in a 12-14 hour day.

Quite luxurious sitting around until 7.

Whadda ya do all day indeed...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

[quote=cute fuzzy bunny;665925
Then I'm going to dig a hole in the ground and bury all my tools.
.[/quote]

Had the same feeling after prepping old house for sale, prepping new house for move in. Then fixing all the delightful stuff we discovered in the first year.

But then when you are all done, you will miss all the fun and creativity
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Got to cut back on that doggone coffee!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought part of FIRE was hiring OTHERS to do stuff, so YOU can do well, whatever you want

I have NO intentions of fixing anything other than a squeaky door or something when I am retired........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The only part of FIRE that DH dreads is that after he quits regular work, he'll be working for me, and that is one terrifying thought! ...I can't imagine why....
I have lists to keep him going for years!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Argon causes erectile dysfunction.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is screaming for the before/during/after pictures, CFB....
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Argon causes erectile dysfunction.
So far that hasnt been a problem for either me or my 3 year old, who wants to tell everyone "My pee pee is BIG!"

I've got a bunch of photos. I'll have to take some more this weekend.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So far that hasnt been a problem for either me or my 3 year old, who wants to tell everyone "My pee pee is BIG!"

I've got a bunch of photos. I'll have to take some more this weekend.
Aargh! don't you think you should have separated that into two posts?

About the argon thing - don't worry. It's only a problem if the argon comes into contact with vinyl, an unlikely event.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I see your point.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

All in all, I don't like the sound of this---argon connecting with vinyl causing ED and photos of my peepee is BIG. I'm going to definitely start reading the text of posts instead of looking at the pictures, CFB!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Whew...I'm exhausted from just reading your post. I hope all of the caulking splatters came off easily.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I thought part of FIRE was hiring OTHERS to do stuff, so YOU can do well, whatever you want
I have NO intentions of fixing anything other than a squeaky door or something when I am retired........
Note that CFB wasn't actually doing any of his own work, he was just setting up the support and then riding herd on a crew of contractors. And these guys actually cared about what he thought and about doing a good job for him, not just about getting paid.

When you find the contractors of your dreams then let me know when it's my turn. I'd be happy to fly them out here for a few months...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Oh if that were only true.

On most days, I had a couple of hours of site setup, moving tools and materials to where they were to be installed, getting power and air to each of two or three different locations, etc. Then the first shift of guys would show up around 7:30 and work until 2:30-3:00 on the house and fence. The second shift of lathing or plastering guys showed up around 9:30 and I had to have electricity and air to the scaffolding where they'd be working. Then supply materials and chip in an extra pair of hands until 5:00 when the stucco guys would finish up. Then 2 hours of cleaning up, packing everything back into the garage, picking up nails/screws/wire/metal shards with a magnet and loading the trailer with junk. I picked up around 4500lbs of new concrete and a ton or so of lumber and hauled it on my poor little 4x6 trailer when Lowes screwed up the delivery and then the job started taking more materials than expected. Heck, I even painted all the nail heads to match the fence color!

The actual contractors got to just show up, walk to their work site, pick up their tool belts and a nail gun and start working. The idea was to minimize the amount of time the skill workers spent doing low skill stuff.

As far as doing a good job...yeah...if they screwed anything up my wife would call their mothers and there'd be hell to pay.

As an aside, for what its worth, my $100 walmart compressor serviced the whole site for 3 weeks, often with four taps connected to it and as many as three framing nailers and a lathing stapler attached to it. Out of mercy I changed its oil about halfway through the job. This was a big plus since the stucco guys brought a big gas powered wheelbarrow compressor and the framers had a tiny electric one. We'd have been listening to both of them running in combination for 12 hours straight. I hooked up a second tank in parallel to boost the capacity to 20 gallons so mine sat in the garage and only ran sporadically. I'm sure my neighbors appreciated that, and we were able to run some tunes and actually hear each other talk.