Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,753
Mexican beer=ok
Canadian beer = better
US beer = American (just like their cars)

Your money, your choice.
__________________

__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Mexican beer=ok
Canadian beer = better
US beer = American (just like their cars)

Your money, your choice.
Do you make the same generalizations about wines? Scotches? Bourbons? Or are you just a guy who likes to swill it down and it's all the same whether it's an aluminum can of Old Milwaukee Light ($8.99 case of 30) or a pint glass of some microbrew wheat stout ($5/pint) fresh from the tap?

I will say that I really enjoyed the Molson's on tap at a lodge I was staying at on Eagle Lake. Then again, I've had some canned/bottled Canadian beers that were, well, not something I considered trying to sneak back across the border! Very ordinary.
__________________

__________________
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Why is Corona extra, and Dos equis Mexican Beer a premium??

They are basically mass produced bud from mexico. Crazy that people will pay upwards of 8 dollars a six pack for Mexican Brewed beer.

Odd.
newguy....... if you don't like Corona Extra or Dos Equis, with 100's of alternatives readily available, why are you buying them and fretting over the price?

I do agree with you that it would be crazy to pay "upwards of 8 dollars a six pack" even if you love these beers. They're available for under $20/case in the civilized parts of the nation. What do you do, tip the cashier? :confused:

Suggestion - get all your beer purchased before you start drinking. It isn't working out for you to drink some, then go to the store and overpay for beers you don't like, then continue to drink. Make purchasing decisions sober!
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
newguy....... if you don't like Corona Extra or Dos Equis, with 100's of alternatives readily available, why are you buying them and fretting over the price?

I do agree with you that it would be crazy to pay "upwards of 8 dollars a six pack" even if you love these beers. They're available for under $20/case in the civilized parts of the nation. What do you do, tip the cashier? :confused:

Suggestion - get all your beer purchased before you start drinking. It isn't working out for you to drink some, then go to the store and overpay for beers you don't like, then continue to drink. Make purchasing decisions sober!
Huh? Where in my post said I am buying the stuff?? Nope its Yungling for newguys house beer. Guinness is the dark house beer. Mass advertised mass marketed mexican beers are sitting on the store shelves at 7.99 a six pack waiting for the dude with the baseball hat on backwards and his too large shorts and bad tattoos and tank top to spend his cash on it.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Huh? Where in my post said I am buying the stuff??.
Oh. I thought you had some vested interest in the subject, not just ranting about some observation you're making at arm's length......

I thereby change my advise to...... why worry about it then?
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Oh. I thought you had some vested interest in the subject, not just ranting about some observation......
Yes it does sound like a rant my postings, but nah all just observations.
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Well you do seem to be a person of extremes newguy. Your pendelum seems to spend a lot more time at the extreme ends of its travel than it does passing through the middle.......

Since you are a Guinness drinker........ Our local Sam's Club offers an 18 pack of the Pub Draft pint cans (the ones with the magic gizzmo clinking around inside) for $19.95.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
hankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 645
The widow lady who used to live next door to my parents was a raging alcoholic and her brew of choice was Hamm's beer (yuck). Lotsa bang for the buck I guess. Coors was the sought after beer when I was in school also. My beer of choice from Colorado these days is Fat Tire.
__________________
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Someone remind me why we couldn't buy Coors in Michigan, east coast, etc. Was there some law?
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Someone remind me why we couldn't buy Coors in Michigan, east coast, etc. Was there some law?
I really don't think it was illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi. It was more of a business decision by Coors.
I could not find a law on the internet but found this:

Coors' transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970's when the company started expanding both its product line and distribution. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, the original Coors Banquet Brand, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors' limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became known as "the Coors mystique." Former President Gerald Ford was known to return from his "western White House" in Colorado accompanied on Air Force One by several cases of Coors.
As flattering as the Coors mystique was, however, monumental changes were taking place within the U.S. brewing industry and among consumers. Coors needed to change its business strategy and expand its distribution to survive this changing marketplace. Increased beer advertising, new brands directed to specific market segments, conveniences such as non-returnable bottles and a growing interest in reduced-calorie beverages were among the trends shaping the industry.
__________________
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
Why is Corona extra, and Dos equis Mexican Beer a premium??

They are basically mass produced bud from mexico. Crazy that people will pay upwards of 8 dollars a six pack for Mexican Brewed beer.

Odd.

I don't understand it either. Yes, it tastes good with a twist of lime when it's hot, but I can't see drinking it any other time. When trying to account for taste in beer just remember that Bud Light is still the most popular beer in America. Do you really need to know anything else?
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Well you do seem to be a person of extremes newguy. Your pendelum seems to spend a lot more time at the extreme ends of its travel than it does passing through the middle.......

Since you are a Guinness drinker........ Our local Sam's Club offers an 18 pack of the Pub Draft pint cans (the ones with the magic gizzmo clinking around inside) for $19.95.

Many times i look at what I posted and say geesh whata nut. Hey this newer medium is well ... I guess posting dumb stuff on an internet forum and not yelling at the dog is better for peace at home!!

Hey I found those cans of Guinness at our local food store yesterday for 21.99 a 24 can case! Got two!
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I really don't think it was illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi. It was more of a business decision by Coors.
I could not find a law on the internet but found this:

Coors' transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970's when the company started expanding both its product line and distribution. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, the original Coors Banquet Brand, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors' limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became known as "the Coors mystique." Former President Gerald Ford was known to return from his "western White House" in Colorado accompanied on Air Force One by several cases of Coors.
As flattering as the Coors mystique was, however, monumental changes were taking place within the U.S. brewing industry and among consumers. Coors needed to change its business strategy and expand its distribution to survive this changing marketplace. Increased beer advertising, new brands directed to specific market segments, conveniences such as non-returnable bottles and a growing interest in reduced-calorie beverages were among the trends shaping the industry.
I have a vague memory that Coors had to be shipped cold so it was only sold within a certain distance from the brewery in Colorado; at least that was the official story. Now they have breweries in the eastern USA.

Coors and Molson merged in 2005 (according to Wikipedia).
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #34
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,349
Khan - you are correct. We went through the Coors brewery tour in the 70's and the tour ended with loading the refrigerated rail cars
__________________
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,304
I was in London a few years ago, ... a business trip, another perk of w*rking (but that's another thread). My colleague and I went pub crawling one night. We happened upon a 'yuppie' type pub in one of the many 'squares' in London. We had some English Ale of course. One thing I noticed was that the young professionals at the pub were all drinking Budweiser out of the bottle. My friend and I looked at each other and laughed. The only reason we could think of for this phenomena was that Bud in England is Imported Beer. go figure.
... hence our penchant for Mexican 'bud'.
__________________
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,102
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JPatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,494
Coors...all part of driving Texas Style circa 1972. Driving the same Vette I own now down Montana Street in El Paso, 8 Track going strong, a can of Coors in my hand and a pack of Marlboro in my pocket. All quite legal provided you didn't blow a .10.

I dunno, is life still that good?
__________________
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I really don't think it was illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi. It was more of a business decision by Coors.
I could not find a law on the internet but found this:

Coors' transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970's when the company started expanding both its product line and distribution. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, the original Coors Banquet Brand, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors' limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became known as "the Coors mystique." Former President Gerald Ford was known to return from his "western White House" in Colorado accompanied on Air Force One by several cases of Coors.
As flattering as the Coors mystique was, however, monumental changes were taking place within the U.S. brewing industry and among consumers. Coors needed to change its business strategy and expand its distribution to survive this changing marketplace. Increased beer advertising, new brands directed to specific market segments, conveniences such as non-returnable bottles and a growing interest in reduced-calorie beverages were among the trends shaping the industry.
Coors was non-union and the Coors family was way out on the far right of the political spectrum. Not sure about it but at one point I heard that there was a semi-organized effort to keep it out of the heavily unionized areas in the east and mid-west. I do know that one of my more liberal colleagues at Berkeley would no allow it at a bachelor party that he was organizing for those same reasons.

MB
__________________
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Cinco de Mayo is coming! Since SO will no longer go to the Barrio (mutters something about all those killings on the street) where we used to get great enchilatas suizas and a cold glass of Chiquaqua beer, we'll have to wait in line at the nearby place where they sing Happy Birthday every 15 minutes. They make great Mexican food there in spite of the fact it was founded by a Spanish bullfighter. That place specializes in blender drinks so I always go for a Margueritta but in other ethnic places I like to try the imported beer. Thai, Japanese and Indian beers are my favorites. Ole!

Okay, NewGuy, on this rant you really do have a point. Why would anyone ever buy Mexican beer by the 6-pack at, what, a corner market? I get beer delivered from the supermarket (because it's too heavy to carry by bus): I hate to admit sometimes it's Coors because it is so cheap, but my favorite is Michelob. Don't tell anyone back in Wisconsin where we drank Schlitz, Pabst, Coors from the trunk, and just enjoyed the jingles "from the land of sky blue waters."
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Cinco de Mayo is coming! Since SO will no longer go to the Barrio (mutters something about all those killings on the street) where we used to get great enchilatas suizas and a cold glass of Chiquaqua beer, we'll have to wait in line at the nearby place where they sing Happy Birthday every 15 minutes. They make great Mexican food there in spite of the fact it was founded by a Spanish bullfighter. That place specializes in blender drinks so I always go for a Margueritta but in other ethnic places I like to try the imported beer. Thai, Japanese and Indian beers are my favorites. Ole!

Okay, NewGuy, on this rant you really do have a point. Why would anyone ever buy Mexican beer by the 6-pack at, what, a corner market? I get beer delivered from the supermarket (because it's too heavy to carry by bus): I hate to admit sometimes it's Coors because it is so cheap, but my favorite is Michelob. Don't tell anyone back in Wisconsin where we drank Schlitz, Pabst, Coors from the trunk, and just enjoyed the jingles "from the land of sky blue waters."

Why thank you!
__________________

__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Land Ho! guest Hi, I am... 10 01-14-2008 08:08 PM
Tell me if I'm crazy lightspeed Hi, I am... 17 05-25-2007 09:35 AM
Am I crazy? kubikiri Young Dreamers 13 04-18-2007 05:38 PM
Ok now who is the crazy one? newguy88 Other topics 17 01-22-2007 03:14 PM
Go with TIPs or am I crazy? Mister Bill FIRE and Money 147 06-14-2005 10:25 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.