The how crazy is this land.?

Oh. I thought you had some vested interest in the subject, not just ranting about some observation......

Yes it does sound like a rant my postings, but nah all just observations.:D

Well you do seem to be a person of extremes newguy. Your pendelum seems to spend a lot more time at the extreme ends of its travel than it does passing through the middle....... ;)

Since you are a Guinness drinker........ Our local Sam's Club offers an 18 pack of the Pub Draft pint cans (the ones with the magic gizzmo clinking around inside) for $19.95.

The widow lady who used to live next door to my parents was a raging alcoholic and her brew of choice was Hamm's beer (yuck). Lotsa bang for the buck I guess. Coors was the sought after beer when I was in school also. My beer of choice from Colorado these days is Fat Tire.

Someone remind me why we couldn't buy Coors in Michigan, east coast, etc. Was there some law?

Someone remind me why we couldn't buy Coors in Michigan, east coast, etc. Was there some law?
I really don't think it was illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi. It was more of a business decision by Coors.
I could not find a law on the internet but found this:

Coors' transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970's when the company started expanding both its product line and distribution. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, the original Coors Banquet Brand, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors' limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became known as "the Coors mystique." Former President Gerald Ford was known to return from his "western White House" in Colorado accompanied on Air Force One by several cases of Coors.
As flattering as the Coors mystique was, however, monumental changes were taking place within the U.S. brewing industry and among consumers. Coors needed to change its business strategy and expand its distribution to survive this changing marketplace. Increased beer advertising, new brands directed to specific market segments, conveniences such as non-returnable bottles and a growing interest in reduced-calorie beverages were among the trends shaping the industry.

Why is Corona extra, and Dos equis Mexican Beer a premium??

They are basically mass produced bud from mexico. Crazy that people will pay upwards of 8 dollars a six pack for Mexican Brewed beer.

Odd.

I don't understand it either. Yes, it tastes good with a twist of lime when it's hot, but I can't see drinking it any other time. When trying to account for taste in beer just remember that Bud Light is still the most popular beer in America. Do you really need to know anything else?

Well you do seem to be a person of extremes newguy. Your pendelum seems to spend a lot more time at the extreme ends of its travel than it does passing through the middle....... ;)

Since you are a Guinness drinker........ Our local Sam's Club offers an 18 pack of the Pub Draft pint cans (the ones with the magic gizzmo clinking around inside) for $19.95.

Many times i look at what I posted and say geesh whata nut. Hey this newer medium is well ... I guess posting dumb stuff on an internet forum and not yelling at the dog is better for peace at home!!

Hey I found those cans of Guinness at our local food store yesterday for 21.99 a 24 can case! Got two!:D

I really don't think it was illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi. It was more of a business decision by Coors.

Coors' transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970's when the company started expanding both its product line and distribution. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, the original Coors Banquet Brand, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors' limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became known as "the Coors mystique." Former President Gerald Ford was known to return from his "western White House" in Colorado accompanied on Air Force One by several cases of Coors.
As flattering as the Coors mystique was, however, monumental changes were taking place within the U.S. brewing industry and among consumers. Coors needed to change its business strategy and expand its distribution to survive this changing marketplace. Increased beer advertising, new brands directed to specific market segments, conveniences such as non-returnable bottles and a growing interest in reduced-calorie beverages were among the trends shaping the industry.

I have a vague memory that Coors had to be shipped cold so it was only sold within a certain distance from the brewery in Colorado; at least that was the official story. Now they have breweries in the eastern USA.

Coors and Molson merged in 2005 (according to Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Khan - you are correct. We went through the Coors brewery tour in the 70's and the tour ended with loading the refrigerated rail cars

I was in London a few years ago, ... a business trip, another perk of w*rking (but that's another thread). My colleague and I went pub crawling one night. We happened upon a 'yuppie' type pub in one of the many 'squares' in London. We had some English Ale of course. One thing I noticed was that the young professionals at the pub were all drinking Budweiser out of the bottle. My friend and I looked at each other and laughed. The only reason we could think of for this phenomena was that Bud in England is Imported Beer. :rolleyes: go figure.
... hence our penchant for Mexican 'bud'.

Coors...all part of driving Texas Style circa 1972. Driving the same Vette I own now down Montana Street in El Paso, 8 Track going strong, a can of Coors in my hand and a pack of Marlboro in my pocket. All quite legal provided you didn't blow a .10.:angel:

I dunno, is life still that good?

Last edited:

Coors was non-union and the Coors family was way out on the far right of the political spectrum. Not sure about it but at one point I heard that there was a semi-organized effort to keep it out of the heavily unionized areas in the east and mid-west. I do know that one of my more liberal colleagues at Berkeley would no allow it at a bachelor party that he was organizing for those same reasons.

MB

Cinco de Mayo is coming! Since SO will no longer go to the Barrio (mutters something about all those killings on the street) where we used to get great enchilatas suizas and a cold glass of Chiquaqua beer, we'll have to wait in line at the nearby place where they sing Happy Birthday every 15 minutes. They make great Mexican food there in spite of the fact it was founded by a Spanish bullfighter. That place specializes in blender drinks so I always go for a Margueritta but in other ethnic places I like to try the imported beer. Thai, Japanese and Indian beers are my favorites. Ole!

Okay, NewGuy, on this rant you really do have a point. Why would anyone ever buy Mexican beer by the 6-pack at, what, a corner market? I get beer delivered from the supermarket (because it's too heavy to carry by bus): I hate to admit sometimes it's Coors because it is so cheap, but my favorite is Michelob. Don't tell anyone back in Wisconsin where we drank Schlitz, Pabst, Coors from the trunk, and just enjoyed the jingles "from the land of sky blue waters."

Cinco de Mayo is coming! Since SO will no longer go to the Barrio (mutters something about all those killings on the street) where we used to get great enchilatas suizas and a cold glass of Chiquaqua beer, we'll have to wait in line at the nearby place where they sing Happy Birthday every 15 minutes. They make great Mexican food there in spite of the fact it was founded by a Spanish bullfighter. That place specializes in blender drinks so I always go for a Margueritta but in other ethnic places I like to try the imported beer. Thai, Japanese and Indian beers are my favorites. Ole!

Okay, NewGuy, on this rant you really do have a point. Why would anyone ever buy Mexican beer by the 6-pack at, what, a corner market? I get beer delivered from the supermarket (because it's too heavy to carry by bus): I hate to admit sometimes it's Coors because it is so cheap, but my favorite is Michelob. Don't tell anyone back in Wisconsin where we drank Schlitz, Pabst, Coors from the trunk, and just enjoyed the jingles "from the land of sky blue waters."

Why thank you!

There's a strong psychological component in drinking beer (and wine). Beer at a sporting event tastes better. It seems to taste better in one of those semi-clear plastic cups. It seems to taste worse in a junky restaurant plastic glass. It tastes better in a long neck bottle. It tastes worse right after vomiting.

I drank the Corona when I was in Mexico for a few months. Something about paying $1.70 for the four-for-one Coronitas special was appealing. Order a beer and they bring out a bucket of beers on ice. But Corona down there is so ubiquitous - just like bud light/coors here. Tecate and Dos Equis seemed to be second and third down there for "cheap beers".

Stateside - I'll take my bud light or miller high life light (champagne of beers, no less).

[-]Butt wipe[/-] Bud Light was my "boat" beer. [-]Watered-down[/-] Light and refreshing is good when it's 105 outside...

For my drinking pleasure, I prefer something with a bit more taste.

While visiting my bro in Chicago, we visited a watering hole with a large selection of microbrews. Not inexpensive, exactly, but quite tasty!! And none of this watered-down goat pee, either. AC north of 7% on most, with one really hoopy beer topping 11%. I was snockered by the time we left... :angel:

While visiting my bro in Chicago, we visited a watering hole with a large selection of microbrews. Not inexpensive, exactly, but quite tasty!! And none of this watered-down goat pee, either. AC north of 7% on most, with one really hoopy beer topping 11%. I was snockered by the time we left... :angel:

Let me guess. the Hop Leaf or the Map Room?

Back
Top Bottom