The how crazy is this land.?

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Why is Corona extra, and Dos equis Mexican Beer a premium??

They are basically mass produced bud from mexico. Crazy that people will pay upwards of 8 dollars a six pack for Mexican Brewed beer.

Odd.

Myabe because it is so good. Especially when served really cold with a twist of lime.

Or how about that commuter paying 5 bucks for a fancy cup of coffee in the morning.

I like a black and tan every once in awhile. Otherwise I stick to booze and wine.

I just received a recall letter from Sam's Club on Sam Adams beer. Return it all to the store. Look for "35" and "IO" embossed in the glass at the bottom of the bottle. Neither of the two bottles I have left out of the case I bought is affected.

Humm...they didn't say what happens if you've already drunk most of the case already. I gave most of it to friends who were visiting. I normally drink Guinness anyway. Maybe I should call those guys and see if they're ok?

Placebo effect.

When I was in Michigan, and you couldn't buy Coors there, it was like nectar of the gods. People would smuggle it in, or bring it back from vacations. I was shocked when I found out it wasn't premium beer.

Placebo effect.

When I was in Michigan, and you couldn't buy Coors there, it was like nectar of the gods. People would smuggle it in, or bring it back from vacations. I was shocked when I found out it wasn't premium beer.

A long way to go and a short time to get there?

When I was in college (SUNY Potsdam) folks would make Molson runs to Canada. I didn't see the difference.

Placebo effect.

I remember back in '74 driving to Denver from Wisconsin with my buddies to bring back as much Coors as we could get in my car. Broke a spring on the way back. Coors did have a different taste than the Schlitz and Old Milwaukee we were used to.

Hey Khan, small world. when I was in school there, the drinking age had just raised to 21. It remained lower in Canada, but I was still too young, anyway, so I didn't bother going across with my friends.

Neither is a great beer... Corona is OK... XX is cheaper and acceptable. If I am buying beer... those are at the bottom of the list.

just had a Corona with several samples of chips/salsa at the Salsa Challenge in Tempe, Az. Corona goes great with mexican food on a hot day.

About as crazy as ending your sentences with two punctuation marks.

I'm very surprised that Al let you get away with that.

They are basically mass produced bud from mexico. Crazy that people will pay upwards of 8 dollars a six pack for Mexican Brewed beer.

Odd.

Would it be better if it was shipped by rail?

Placebo effect.

Rocky Mountain Goat Whiz

I remember when the coors craze first struck. I think I was 18 or 19. Me and two other guys were gonna get in the car and drive to Colorado from Massachusetts, fill the trunk up with coors and drive back and sell it at a huge markup.

As with many other grand plans, this one also thankfully went unfulfilled.

I remember when the coors craze first struck. I think I was 18 or 19. Me and two other guys were gonna get in the car and drive to Colorado from Massachusetts, fill the trunk up with coors and drive back and sell it at a huge markup.

Here's a recycled post from a couple of years ago:

Back in the mid-70’s I was stationed at McConnell in Wichita, KS. At the time that was the easternmost distribution area for Coors. The base shared a runway with Boeing, and the AF periodically sent KC-135 tankers to the Boeing facility for refurb.

When the planes were ready, the home base for the aircraft would send a crew out to Wichita to pick it up and fly it home. If the crew was from the eastern US, they would inevitably make a run to the base liquor store and buy several cases of Coors, planning to sell it to their buddies back home at a tidy profit.

The new Wing Commander at the base decided he was going to throw his weight around as this well-known practice was disruptive to the good order and discipline of the USAF. Rather than issue an order to incoming air crews that they could only take back one case per person, he decided to make an example of the next crew who made a Coors run. The hapless crew of 5 arrived, purchased 25 cases of Coors, loaded it on the plane, started engines and taxied out to take off. The WC then sent three Security Police vehicles out to block the runway. The crew was forced to taxi back in, shut down their engines, and offload their beer stash. The WC met them on the ramp and told them they were allowed only one case per crew member.

Of course word of all this spread to those of us on the flight line at the time, and we conveniently showed up to assist the crew in disposing of their excess cargo. I think we paid them a buck a six pack, being fellow air crew members and all.
rolleyes.gif

Word of this incident spread all over the tanker fleet and I don’t think any crew attempted to distribute Coors without a license again…at least not in that manner.
wink.gif

Mexican beer=ok
Canadian beer = better
US beer = American (just like their cars)

Your money, your choice.

Mexican beer=ok
Canadian beer = better
US beer = American (just like their cars)

Your money, your choice.

Do you make the same generalizations about wines? Scotches? Bourbons? Or are you just a guy who likes to swill it down and it's all the same whether it's an aluminum can of Old Milwaukee Light ($8.99 case of 30) or a pint glass of some microbrew wheat stout ($5/pint) fresh from the tap?

I will say that I really enjoyed the Molson's on tap at a lodge I was staying at on Eagle Lake. Then again, I've had some canned/bottled Canadian beers that were, well, not something I considered trying to sneak back across the border! Very ordinary.

Last edited:

Odd.

newguy....... if you don't like Corona Extra or Dos Equis, with 100's of alternatives readily available, why are you buying them and fretting over the price? :duh:

I do agree with you that it would be crazy to pay "upwards of 8 dollars a six pack" even if you love these beers. They're available for under $20/case in the civilized parts of the nation. What do you do, tip the cashier? :confused:

Suggestion - get all your beer purchased before you start drinking. It isn't working out for you to drink some, then go to the store and overpay for beers you don't like, then continue to drink. Make purchasing decisions sober!

newguy....... if you don't like Corona Extra or Dos Equis, with 100's of alternatives readily available, why are you buying them and fretting over the price? :duh:

I do agree with you that it would be crazy to pay "upwards of 8 dollars a six pack" even if you love these beers. They're available for under $20/case in the civilized parts of the nation. What do you do, tip the cashier? :confused:

Suggestion - get all your beer purchased before you start drinking. It isn't working out for you to drink some, then go to the store and overpay for beers you don't like, then continue to drink. Make purchasing decisions sober!

Huh? Where in my post said I am buying the stuff?? Nope its Yungling for newguys house beer. Guinness is the dark house beer. Mass advertised mass marketed mexican beers are sitting on the store shelves at 7.99 a six pack waiting for the dude with the baseball hat on backwards and his too large shorts and bad tattoos and tank top to spend his cash on it.

Huh? Where in my post said I am buying the stuff??.

Oh. I thought you had some vested interest in the subject, not just ranting about some observation you're making at arm's length......

I thereby change my advise to...... why worry about it then?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom