Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Yeah, but the words I write here can be part of my intentional crafting of my public persona (I'm really a 16 year old girl, but everyone here thinks I'm a 55 year old man). I don't think you'd be able to make that substitution with a TV that's doing audio and video recordings of you.
Perhaps, but I can promise that data is being collected from this site, other sites you're on, emails, searches, they are all going to be connected. It won't be too long that the public (you know google can do it now) will be able to search your username and it will just connect all the dots. It's going to doubt about it. The ONLY way to stay 100% anonymous on the internet is to stay off of it 100% of the time.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wonder if younger folks, like Millenials for example, even understand privacy and why we value it so. They have grown up in a different world.
Mostly those born after 2000 seem to have a very different experience. I'm a borderline 'millenial', highly value my privacy. Others not so much. It doesn't seem to differ much from my parents. E.g. Mom doesn't care about privacy ("I have nothing to hide"), Dad is paranoia (removed the house from google street view for example).

It is harder for young ones to escape parental and government supervision though, but many (most?) actually welcome that: help is just a click away. Sacrificing liberty for safety (sound familiar ).

My grandfather apparently redid his first year at university without his parents knowing. The current kids can't jaywalk without a text message arriving at their parents.

What I think will happen is that the rebels and privacy-lovers of previous generations will still be there in new generations, they'll just navigate the waters differently and there will be fewer of them. Hopefully those few are enough to protect us all.

Alternatively that group might go increasingly to the outer fringes of society. Out of the cities, out of internet sight, away from the banking system etc ..

Or they will self-organize and establish new rules in their own community, or move to other communities. The EU for example (certainly Germany) is much more aware of what privacy is worth then the US it seems (on a macro-level). Much of that has to do with the secret police experiences of the 1980s in eastern Europe (Stasi for example).

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
A somewhat more positive article:

'Smart' living gets real as connectivity rates rise |

Developers at the Dublin Web Summit, one of Europe's biggest technology conferences, said interlinkage between people, their homes and their devices were opening up new frontiers.

One of the focus areas at the Web Summit was on how people, objects and devices can become connected in what the tech industry is calling the "Internet of Things".

"We're trying to connect 99 percent of things, not only physical things such as street lights but people and even animals to transform lives and improve businesses," Wei Zou, technical marketing engineer with Cisco, told AFP.

On a larger scale, Cisco hopes the growth in connectivity will improve medical care by developing systems for hospitals, such as allowing paramedics to feed patient information back automatically while an ambulance is in transit, so hospitals can be prepared.

It also hopes to reduce the demand for resources by allowing patients to connect with doctors remotely. "Some people with medical conditions do not need to go to the hospital, they can use digital media to provide the doctors with diagnostics remotely and automatically," Zou said.
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
So here's a website with streaming video from people who just leave default passwords in place on their cameras.

A creepy website is streaming from 73,000 cameras; some in the bedroom - Neowin
Creepy website referenced:
Watch surveillance online IP cameras in Linksys
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...
I've heard that some of these fancy new light bulbs that change color using a wifi connection to an app or computer have very poor security protocols and are a potential way into a system.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote