The "Joy" of PC: Windows Hell

The PCs are not the end in itself. They are tools for my hobby.

I can curse at them, but have to maintain them the same as a carpenter sharpens his chisels or saw blades.

I just gave up on Linux, again. I have a large scanning project and there are evidently NO drivers that function with my scanner on Linux. Plus a genealogy program I purchased awhile back, Windows only. The reasons I had to keep dual-booting back over to the Windows side just kept growing, and I finally just deleted the linux partition and gave it back to Windows. This might be the last time I get angry and try to abandon all major OS'...

Of course this will be device specific, but in my case I have a scanner (Micrtotek Scanmaker) that ONLY works with Linux. The Mac and Win drivers were abandoned long ago, but with Linux it just works. It did seem to be fussy and lock up sometimes on my 64 bit machine, but I keep it on my older machine and it is still working fine.

Though most often I use CamScannerHD free app on DW's iPad. That's faster and easier and more flexible than the scanning SW I have. I only use the scanner if I need that last bit of extra quality that I get with the flat lighting of a scanner (almost never).

-ERD50

I just keep an old copy of Windows living inside my Ubuntu installation using Virtual Box. Turbotax runs happily in its own quiet universe there and all my other financial contacts happen directly in Linux.

I really need to devote some time to explore alternatives using Linux with Windows emulation or VM, as the Mac does not appeal to me for reasons already mentioned.

I am still busy with other projects though. Can a retiree get too busy? You betcha.

Back
Top Bottom