Windows in S Mode

zl55lz

Recycles dryer sheets
This might not be of interest except to tech folks, and might require some digging as most people apparently aren't familiar with it, but does anyone have any comments on Windows in S Mode?

It supposedly is a locked down system and very secure. Supposedly a pc user can't add third party antivirus, no downloads are allowed except from the MSoft Store, etc.

I think it uses Microsoft Defender as the base security method, and the other things it does not allow add to the security.

I am looking at it from the standpoint of best security for someone I know to use it, who does not have a firm grasp on basic pc security protocols and requires simplicity in their pc use and safety for financial matters online. They do basic browsing, online shopping, and emails.

I appreciate any comments.

I'm no expert, but ... TechRepublic describes it as "stripped-down, tightly-locked and low-end." It's safer because, frankly, you can't do much in it. It can only run applications from the Microsoft Store. So that shuts down a lot of potential security holes -- by severely limiting what a hacker (or you!) can do. If you want to run any apps that aren't in the Store, or if you want to be able to tweak your setup at all, then I'd say S is not for you.

I'm no expert, but ... TechRepublic describes it as "stripped-down, tightly-locked and low-end." It's safer because, frankly, you can't do much in it. It can only run applications from the Microsoft Store. So that shuts down a lot of potential security holes -- by severely limiting what a hacker (or you!) can do. If you want to run any apps that aren't in the Store, or if you want to be able to tweak your setup at all, then I'd say S is not for you.

If those are its characteristics (which might be perfect for the situation), what is the benefit of it coming with i7 12th gen cpu with 512gb of storage and 16gb RAM (which I have seen)?

Most of those I see use a Celeron or Pentium cpu--wouldn't those be enough for the job?

Years ago I had a netbook that came with Windows S. I assume because the hardware wasn't powerful enough to use regular Windows was the reason for S.

Years ago I had a netbook that came with Windows S. I assume because the hardware wasn't powerful enough to use regular Windows was the reason for S.

My understanding is not that S Mode is used due to lack of power, but is used to limit security issues, and that to do so it has to inherently limit access to certain things and by certain things.

They would seem to have plenty of power, especially with recent generations of i3, i5, and i7 cpu which I do see on the market.

A person can switch out of S Mode, so it would then be a "regular" pc, although not back into S Mode once that is done, at least as of the present time.

Back
Top Bottom