The last concert...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At first the music all sounded the same, there was a beat, an occasional shrill note and of course much fuss by the parent audience. Last night, some 8 years later, there was a selection of avant-garde music and some popular tunes. The music was rich, powerful and definitely didn't sound the same.

First the daughter and then now the son has played in his last concert. We've slepped to every venue, funded every band trip, built staging and helped sew uniforms. There will be no more drives to practice in August - Saturday's in the fall are are now are own.

I can't help but wonder will we miss It?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
DW and I felt the same way 5 years ago when our youngest son graduated from high school, ending about 19 years (spread between 2 kids) of attending soccer, football and baseball games. It really had become an integral part of our lifestyle. We worried that we would miss it. But, guess what? It didn't take long to adjust to enjoying the extra evening and weekend time to spend as we chose. I can honestly say now that we didn't miss it (at least not too much)! But now, we're just a few years away for starting all over again when our grandson joins his first T-Ball team!

I remember watching every single high school football game whether in rain, wind, and/or Texas ice storms, to see my daughter playing in the band. I shivered all by myself in the bleachers because my ex always seemed to be at sea for his job during football season. Brrrrr, I don't think I have ever been colder or more miserable; I don't even like football. I remember driving pretty far across Texas to look at, and buy, a high quality used clarinet, too, and it wasn't cheap for us at that time. And then there were the uniform alterations to make, the extra clarinet lessons to drive her to every week, and so on.

But overall, band was a wonderful experience for her and taught her so much about life, teamwork, camaraderie, persistence, music, and so much more. I am so glad she chose to participate in it. It was no fun for me (and I do not miss it one bit), but then that wasn't the point of it.

OMG, I'm going through that phase as I type. For my sons it was soccer, but this spring is likely the last season of club travel soccer for my younger son. In the fall he'll play HS soccer but by early November, his competitive soccer career will likely be over. My older son's last game was last November.

After watching every game each boy has played for the last 14 years I know I'll miss it. As they were 1 and 3 when I ER'ed at 50, it has been an integral part of my retirement years. A major activity. I already so much miss watching my older boy play, he started when he was 5 and fortunately for him (and me) he was always a strong player and spent little time on the bench. Every new coach would look at his size (small) and speed (quick) and he'd get to play half a game as midfielder but once they ever saw him play D (fullback is the official position), he'd never get subbed. Never any glory or publicity playing fullback, but he sure got a tremendous amount of play time. I wish he'd try college ball, but he's taken the approach that his studies will be the priority and has not contacted the college coach, and I can't disagree.

But, possibly for the last time, I'm spending this coming Sunday with my younger son 130miles away, 3 games, 7am to 10 pm away.

Last edited:
We have gone back to a couple HS concerts, after our kids had graduated. The jazz band is particularly good, and the wind ensemble has had some very high level soloists.

We wait for the spring concert, they've had all year to practice!

DS played in college as well, both the jazz and wind ensembles. Those were some very good concerts, especially the high level Jazz Band (DS was in the 'lab' jazz band, very good also, but the best players went up the next level, and really could make some sound!).

I mentioned in the Prince thread, one of the high school percussionists went on to tour with Prince in his 3eyedgirl band. Very talented.

-ERD50

My son's were in music, so we went all over during high school and college to hear them. Youngest became a music teacher so now we go to his student's vocal and band concerts. It's really fun to watch him pull the kids together into something good. Will begin attending grandkids music events soon. We're glad we can still support these activities.

My Dad made me quit the band. He wasn't too thrilled with my drum rolls. He bought me a set of golf clubs to ease my pain. Financially, that may have been costly for him as I played a lot as a teenager. But I'm he had less headaches. :)

Youth soccer survivor here . Then high school track and xcountry. You've done enough, and think about the best times now and again.

Back
Top Bottom