The new Star Trek

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh yeah! A big two thumbs up - revisit all your old friends. Remember Captain Pike in the wheelchair/enclosure who could only answer questions with a yes or no light? Sulu? 'Course you do! Reactivate all those old synapses - two hours well spent.

Ok, now that is a different review. I have a sister who is a Trekie.....convention attender, costumes, memorabilia collector, can quote the tech manual verbatum and knows 99.5% of the trivia.......you know nut case :LOL:. She said it sucked and was not worth seeing. Too many detail in error.

I think your sister is the minority, although for a hard core trekkie maybe not.

I saw it with my buddies, all trekkie, in Vegas we all loved it.

I think the sister is so into it that she can no longer see the forest for the trees and has lost the fun factor,definitely needs to lighten up. .As someone who enjoys all Star Trek shows/series i found the movie lots of fun and very entertaining,looking forward to future sequels and hopefully any TV spinoff series

I loved it. And I look forward to seeing it again, then buying the DVD when it comes out.
I am not in your sisters level of 'trekdom', perhaps more of a casual Trekkie (I know Kirk's original middle initial;)).
The more hard core trekkies I do know all enjoyed it. I do know of one other guy on another forum that hated it.
The possibilities after this movie are fun to think about. They really did reinvigorate the entire trek universe.

I thought it was well done. The kid playing Captain Kirk captures the essence of Shatner without going over the top. The others - Spock, Scottie, Sulu ,etc) are good too. I think we are all set for a set of great sequels.

Angles and Demons, on the other hand, was just OK but not good.

Went to the early matinee yesterday. The place was packed with couples in their 50s. My kids have not seen Star Trek before and just don't "get it". Almost every line was a classic from the past. I need my frequency monitored by Uhura. 2 thumbs up!

We took the kids to the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville last weekend and saw it there in IMAX. It was good and our 10 year old really liked it. It was a nice ending to the visit there.

I enjoyed the movie.
However, it reduced Star Trek into action charaters.
Those who understand the franchise know at its hart it is a morality play. The original series had many episodes that were cutting edge for its time and reflected or gave insights to the issues of its time.
None of these things were present in the current film. As such it was hartless.

So I think many who enjoyed it did so for the nostalgia - as did I.

I've seen every episode that both Kirk and Picard are in but haven't seen the new Star Trek yet, I hope I'm not dissapointed.

I know many of my core beliefs were shaped by the original Star Trek. I stay away from the irresistible green Orion slave girls, and if i got a line of dialogue at a new job i never ever wore a red shirt. We enjoyed the humour of the new movie and felt it avoided delivering the jokes in a campy way - felt it struck the right balance of un-self aware humour and respect without slavish adherence. They played it straight. But i was never a serious Trekkie - closest i got was some Spock ears around Halloween.

Last edited:
I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock. The girl in front of me in homeroom had a transcript of "Amok Time", the episode where Spock"s Vulcan hormones start to rage. She let me borrow it to copy (by hand mind you) so I hid in the garage until my mother left for work, and then instead of going to school, spent the day writing down every word. The new Star Trek had a freshness I remember from the first time I ever saw Star Trek on tv. FUN!!!!

I enjoyed the new Star Trek. DW and I are suckers for any action adventure movies so this did not disappoint. Like others not a hard core Treky but have seen all the movies and most of all the series episodes. We had been anticipating this release since Battlestar ended (If you have not seen this - it is a very good series). I too picked out a few inconsistencies with the old series - but I would rather see the franchise get cranked up again with some creative license rather than fade away.

I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock. The girl in front of me in homeroom had a transcript of "Amok Time", the episode where Spock"s Vulcan hormones start to rage. She let me borrow it to copy (by hand mind you) so I hid in the garage until my mother left for work, and then instead of going to school, spent the day writing down every word. The new Star Trek had a freshness I remember from the first time I ever saw Star Trek on tv. FUN!!!!
Me too. My profile lists Mr. Spock as childhood idol. :cool:
I actually met William Shatner when I was younger (12 or 13 I think). He was starring in a local play ("There's a Girl in My Soup") in my home county near NYC. My father interviewed him in his dressing room for the county radio station. I was too young to see the play, but he signed my Star Trek club photo of him and shook my hand. I was awestruck! Swoon...;)

I was going to see Star Trek tonight but the mouth soreness after the tooth repair today put a hold on that.
Don't tell me too much about the new movie! :(

Ok, now that is a different review. I have a sister who is a Trekie.....convention attender, costumes, memorabilia collector, can quote the tech manual verbatum and knows 99.5% of the trivia.......you know nut case :LOL:. She said it sucked and was not worth seeing. Too many detail in error.

too many errors:confused: CAUTION!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

The plot was ingeniously contrived to have the large romulan vessel come through a wormhole from the future. So the ships actions caused events to change in the now alternate reality that was this movie. So all discrepencies and errors can be explained away by this occurance. It was brilliant!

Although I am not a die-hard Trekie (Trekkie?), I enjoy the premise enough to have read books set in the Star Trek universe (most notably, those by Vonda McIntyre and Diane Duane). I enjoyed the way [most of] the books I read emphasized and played upon the troika of Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

So, I went to see the movie. Heck, it's STAR TREK!!

At first - HATED it! Nothing was working...

Then, I realized what the screenwriter(s) and director had done and realized that, IMHO, they did the only thing they could. Else, you'd just have new actors playing Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley. Yeah, that'd be fun to watch! Not!

So, by the end of the movie, I was VERY pleased with it and look forward to more.

Of course, the next movie will have to have a more involved plot - versus "just" [re]introducing the characters - to keep bringing everyone back.

But - if they can do that ... Star Trek lives on. Awesome!

Just my $.01 (recession, you know).

Marilyn

I enjoyed it - especially with the earplugs I brought to the theatre.

SPOILER ALERT
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;
;;;

it was fun seeing Uhura as a brilliant young hottie, and who was fortunate enough to be her target ... :dance: :flowers:

yum.

ta,
mew

I loved it too. When I was 13 I had a thing for Mr. Spock.

Oh yeah, I had a severe crush on Leonard Nimoy. I thought I was the only one. I even had his record album.

My son took me to see the movie on Mother's Day. We both enjoyed it!

You can imagine how the Star Trek franchise gets worked over by the submarine fleet during those 90-day patrols. Almost (but not quite) as popular as "Road House". By day 60, watchstanders would be able to recite dialogue for 10 minutes. By day 80 they'd be able to make all nuclear reports using only the movie's vocabulary.

These days I enjoy going to our franchise's Monday Morning Mommy movies. Five minutes from the house, the theaters almost empty-- just me and the [-]hot chicks[/-] [-]unemployed[/-] other retirees.

But this time we need to take a different tack with the next generation. So our kid's going to watch a Netflix copy of "Wrath of Khan" with us parents and then we'll do the same with the new Star Trek when it's out on DVD. That way she can pause the show for each leadership question, review the tactical decision-making process, and have time to outline her after-action report.

Oh yeah, I had a severe crush on Leonard Nimoy.
I'm pleased to see that he's aging well, but he seemed to be talking around a set of upper dentures.

So did you guys have just the movies, or also the series? BTW were they on VHS,Beta, Laserdisc, or DVD, or some super secret CIA format?

I hate to say it but you may want to spring for the matinee tickets, the big screen really matters and this from somebody who is down to only seeing 3-4 movies a year outside of netflix.

too many errors:confused: CAUTION!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

The plot was ingeniously contrived to have the large romulan vessel come through a wormhole from the future. So the ships actions caused events to change in the now alternate reality that was this movie. So all discrepencies and errors can be explained away by this occurance. It was brilliant!

As you may be able to tell from my post I really do not have a dog in this hunt. Its a TV show and I agree with those who say that dear Sis, and trekies like her need to lighten up. That said I will lay your explanation on her and see where that goes. Just a little sibling "stirring of the pot" :LOL:.

Mews, thanks for the heads up about ear plugs. I plan on going although I’m not a real Trekkie. Saw Nimoy in a one-man show as Van Gogh’s bother, Theo, phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom