Join Early Retirement Today

The Only Thing I Don't Like About Amazon Prime
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Only Thing I Don't Like About Amazon Prime

I'm usually bragging about Amazon Prime for packages.

But ordering on a Friday for a package that arrives on Tuesday (well, sometimes Monday) seems forever . I want one of them drones to land on my balcony.

I know, the Prime means within two business days, so ordering on Friday and receiving on Tuesday is right. But in my current situation, I'm waiting on a graphics card (which is to replace one I had to return -- I blame that on Dell's website and myself). For some reason, my current graphics card doesn't want to play nice with the computer I'm fixing up.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You're right; it WOULD be nice if we Prime members got a discount on the one day delivery service.

But gosh - - I sure like getting free two day delivery. I have spent so much more on Amazon since I got Prime that it isn't even funny.

Today, I got two pairs of shoes that I ordered on Thursday after reading the shoes thread.... Delivered by Fedex, too!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I know, the Prime means within two business days, so ordering on Friday and receiving on Tuesday is right.
If I order on Friday, the package almost always arrives on Monday. Makes me so darn happy.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But ordering on a Friday for a package that arrives on Tuesday (well, sometimes Monday) seems forever . I want one of them drones to land on my balcony.

I know, the Prime means within two business days, so ordering on Friday and receiving on Tuesday is right. But in my current situation, I'm waiting on a graphics card (which is to replace one I had to return -- I blame that on Dell's website and myself). For some reason, my current graphics card doesn't want to play nice with the computer I'm fixing up.

If I order on Friday I almost always get the item next day. Of course the nearest distribution center is about 45 miles away, so that helps.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #5

In Hawaii, there is no way they can honor the 2-days. Sometimes my package gets hung up in Honolulu for 2days alone and finally makes its way to Maui.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My last purchase was ordered on Friday and arrived on Monday.

I had actually thought that I ordered it on Saturday and was surprised with it was in the mailbox on Monday and was thinking "how did they do that" until I saw the Friday order date when I opened the package.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Today, I got two pairs of shoes that I ordered on Thursday after reading the shoes thread.... Delivered by Fedex, too!
Now THAT's funny!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I really like the locker delivery service too -- there's an Amazon locker location fairly close to me.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
In Hawaii, there is no way they can honor the 2-days. Sometimes my package gets hung up in Honolulu for 2days alone and finally makes its way to Maui.
#FirstWorldProblems
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Even with Prime, I ordered something on Friday, but it won't arrive until tomorrow (Wed).

When Amazon ships via UPS, I'd get the package on Mon or Tue. But the package I'm waiting for shipped FedEx smartpost so it's now at the post office for tomorrow's delivery.

update: Package sorted and scheduled for arrival today
Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in the early Prime days, $4 per item got you next day delivery, including ordering on Friday and receiving on Saturday.

Quote:

someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Just be glad you even HAVE Amazon! Living in Hawaii back in the Dark Ages, if we special ordered things from the mainland they would take months to arrive because they had to come by ship unless you wanted to spend an arm and a leg for airmail.

Being a teenager in Hawaii would have been a lot more fun with Amazon Prime!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Since the beginning of the year, some of my Prime purchases have been delivered late. For example, I ordered an item last Wednesday with a guaranteed delivery on Friday but only got it Monday.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote