I Wonder Why Brick and Mortar Stores are Losing Customers?

DW picks out my clothes - the very few I own - at Goodwill or other resale shops. She'll bring them home for me to try on. Any I reject just get cycled back into the resale shop! No fuss, no muss, and still a real bargain.

:facepalm: ya same here! Although she is doing the perusing at often salvation Army and calls me, "hey, I have 8 shirts your size picked out, why don't you come look. I may like 4 or 5, it's usually sale day, The last time I got shirts they were $1 each. But now she complains their prices went up. She's the biggest reason we reach above and beyond FIRE. :dance:

I was walking up to my local Lowe's Home Improvement, entering through the garden area, and I got pushed aside by a man with a cart heading out. The tag alarm went off, and it was slowly dawning on me what was happening. His cart was piled high with small garden power tools.

I proceeded in and took a turn away from the activity. An employee calmly followed him and took a few pictures of the thief loading his car. He came back and another employee yelled something at him like "that was dangerous, you shouldn't have done that."

I witnessed what they are calling "shrink." It is my first go around on this, although it is apparently common in other cities.

To say I was disappointed doesn't capture how I feel. It is deeper than that. This behavior is real, and in my opinion a statement on our society and more that we are not allow to speak of on this board.

Dick's and Target both recently reported severe issues with shrink. (Oh what a quaint word to use. When did "theft" leave our lexicon?) Dick's shares slumped 24% yesterday when they reported their problems with shrink.

Yeah, brick and mortar has a problem. This is part of it. I am now a little more wary of going to these stores. I don't know what's next. The thieves burnishing weapons?

Worse yet, Amazon may be raking it in, but I have a bad feeling some of these products are finding their way back to Amazon, and especially Ebay. I don't want to be buying stolen goods, but it is likely that I have.

Very sad indeed. Lots of issues (most likely Porky bait) so I'll leave it alone and just sympathize.

I was walking up to my local Lowe's Home Improvement, entering through the garden area, and I got pushed aside by a man with a cart heading out. The tag alarm went off, and it was slowly dawning on me what was happening. His cart was piled high with small garden power tools.

I proceeded in and took a turn away from the activity. An employee calmly followed him and took a few pictures of the thief loading his car. He came back and another employee yelled something at him like "that was dangerous, you shouldn't have done that."

I witnessed what they are calling "shrink." It is my first go around on this, although it is apparently common in other cities.

To say I was disappointed doesn't capture how I feel. It is deeper than that. This behavior is real, and in my opinion a statement on our society and more that we are not allow to speak of on this board.

Dick's and Target both recently reported severe issues with shrink. (Oh what a quaint word to use. When did "theft" leave our lexicon?) Dick's shares slumped 24% yesterday when they reported their problems with shrink.

Yeah, brick and mortar has a problem. This is part of it. I am now a little more wary of going to these stores. I don't know what's next. The thieves burnishing weapons?

I was in a Harbor Freight store with my son at the cashier, when a guy just walked out with a shopping cart containing a tool kit, power miter saw and other items, we all just looked at each other, the cashier yelled to the "other one, "did he pay with you?" the answer was no. The cashier told us, "we can"t go after anyone." the manager was called, he went and reviewed the video, for what it was worth. The situation troubled me, I hate thieves.:mad:

I used to buy nice suits, shirts, and ties. In ER, I now shop at Goodwill. Exceptions: Soffe cotton shorts. Shoes are online Merrell and Solomon. Socks and undies are Amazon. My suits from 1995 have been taken in, so they fit for the once a year funeral or wedding.

Only brick and mortar I regularly visit is grocery and hardware. Amazon is getting some of our grocery. Mainly dry goods and cleaning supplies.

The local store for a nationwide office supply chain gave up half their space to an auto supply chain. This office supply chain began home deliveries and big rewards to combat online competition. Every time I place an order for home or store delivery, it is messed up. Most of the time, they end up giving me more than the original deal to fix the problem. Anyone else observe the same thing?

I was in a Harbor Freight store with my son at the cashier, when a guy just walked out with a shopping cart containing a tool kit, power miter saw and other items, we all just looked at each other, the cashier yelled to the "other one, "did he pay with you?" the answer was no. The cashier told us, "we can"t go after anyone." the manager was called, he went and reviewed the video, for what it was worth. The situation troubled me, I hate thieves.:mad:

I hate those who won't deal with thieves more than I hate thieves but I'll just leave it there as YMMV.

A friend of mine worked in a large retail establishment and their policy a few years ago became hands off just let them go. One day a guy who was known by the employees to be a shop lifter came in the store and the signal to "watch him" went out. One of the employees saw this guy place several expensive items in his coat pockets. As the guy was heading to the door he confronted the thief and ask him to bring those item to the register to pay. Thief shoves him out of the way and runs. Employee runs him down and tackles him just as police are pulling in. They searched the thief and his automobile and find a trunk ful of items so arrest him. The young man who stopped this guy was called into the office where the District mgr and the district loss prevention mgr. were. The young man was then fired for not following company policy. Which was observe and report the theft to manager.From that type of beginning is one reason today we see the stuff like the gangs rushing into stores and running out with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise because they know no one will do anything.

Tough situation. As a small company CFO, I was responsible for risk/insurance. I used to read about multi-million dollar claims for taking action during a theft. The conventional wisdom was to suffer the small losses.

At one point we caught a thief. She was released on bond, but lived in another state so the trial had to wait years for the DA to go across state lines and prosecute her. I am sure I have the lingo wrong. There was some across the border action that needed to happen and that took years. Now that I think about it we had multiple across the state line thefts that took years to prosecute. Is the sheriff or DA going to spend any time on a $500 across state action?

I also knew a gentleman who was the CEO of a major entity. One Sunday after church, his wife wanted to go shopping and he just felt like doing nothing. He put on his sweats and followed her around the mall. Since he was not dressed well and seemed to be in a fog, the mall security gave him a hard time. They detained him and made some inappropriate comments. Did not end well for the mall.

No wonder stores have backed off on security.

Last edited:
The young man who stopped this guy was called into the office where the District mgr and the district loss prevention mgr. were. The young man was then fired for not following company policy. Which was observe and report the theft to manager.

After almost 40 years in the insurance business I understand this policy. If your child or grandchild were working a minimum-wage job would you want them to pursue a shoplifter who might be armed or otherwise dangerous?

The local grocery store now has an armed guard. Sad, but it's better to have someone who's trained and who's accepted the risks rather than expecting rank-and-file employees to pursue criminals.

Are we moving towards a retail environment where the only items available for purchase from a brick and mortar store are those below a certain dollar value? Or are too large to be easily shoplifted? Online purchases only for items not meeting this criteria?

After almost 40 years in the insurance business I understand this policy. If your child or grandchild were working a minimum-wage job would you want them to pursue a shoplifter who might be armed or otherwise dangerous?

That's the risk. A grand or two of tools or whatnot that will fit in a grocery cart is chump change to the cost of a few days in ICU if the employee is seriously injured (or worse) trying to apprehend a shoplifter. That's the reason for the "let 'em go" policies that retail stores have.

There are other issues as well but then I'd have to moderate myself....:mad:

Are we moving towards a retail environment where the only items available for purchase from a brick and mortar store are those below a certain dollar value? Or are too large to be easily shoplifted? Online purchases only for items not meeting this criteria?

It may be more like what I have seen at Costco and Best Buy do (probably others stores, my own experience has been with these two). Some items there is a picture of the item, and a ticket. You take the ticket to the checkout and pay. You then take the receipt to a desk where they retrieve and hand you the item(s).

Micro Center has a similar process for processors and some other small expensive items. The item is behind glass, you find an employee who gets the item but gives you a "ticket". You go to the checkout, the employee brings the item and locks it in a cage near checkout. Once you checkout the cashier unlocks the cage and gives you the item.

These are not victimless crimes. It impacts all of us.

Is this where we're going to go in society? Just let it all go to hell?

I learned early on that if I got caught shoplifting anything, dealing with my father was a bigger deal than what the cops would do to me. :blush:

Where are the fathers of these thieves? (probably not a fair question to ask)

I learned early on that if I got caught shoplifting anything, dealing with my father was a bigger deal than what the cops would do to me. :blush:

Where are the fathers of these thieves? (probably not a fair question to ask)

Statistically, we already know the answer to this question.

Allowing lawlessness means there really is no law.

People are stealing from dollar stores? Oh my, that's a pretty sad commentary on our society.

Heh, heh, I can't recall anything in there I'd want for free. Can't imagine any of it's worth stealing - but that's just me, so YMMV.

All I'll say about this is it is similar to looting during a disaster.

Yes, I wish stores would stop calling it "Shrink" and go back to Theft!
The tictocs of groups of kids going into stores and grabbing a bunch of stuff don't help.

Yes, I wish stores would stop calling it "Shrink" and go back to Theft!

They use the term "shrinkage" because it includes not only theft, but also lost and/or damaged merchandise, cashier error, and vendor fraud. Although theft is the main component.

The tictocs of groups of kids going into stores and grabbing a bunch of stuff don't help.

Certainly not!

The Costco model is pretty good. People at the exits checking receipts. Dick's Sporting Goods (Home Depot, Macy's, etc.) should have a guard at each exit with a receipt checker. If theft is such a big problem it probably would cost the store less money to employ these people than to continue to put up with "shrinkage" from theft.

Heh, heh, I can't recall anything in there [Dollar Stores] I'd want for free. Can't imagine any of it's worth stealing - but that's just me, so YMMV.

That may actually be desperation. The speculation in the big box stores is that the items are being re-sold on Amazon and e-Bay by organized groups. Dollar Store items are so cheap to begin with that there's not much money to be made in re-selling, so maybe it truly is people with no money left at the end of the month taking toothpaste, snack foods, canned items etc. Doesn't make it right but it seems to be a different type of crime.

Until the punishment for the crime is a true deterrent, nothing will change. Maybe we could learn something from Muslim counties where Sharia law dictates removing a few fingers in the case of thievery, isn't such a bad idea after all.

That may actually be desperation. The speculation in the big box stores is that the items are being re-sold on Amazon and e-Bay by organized groups. Dollar Store items are so cheap to begin with that there's not much money to be made in re-selling, so maybe it truly is people with no money left at the end of the month taking toothpaste, snack foods, canned items etc. Doesn't make it right but it seems to be a different type of crime.

I'm guessing you are correct on this. I'd never thought of it that way. Some of the dollar items would be useful for those who had run out of money at the end of the month. Agree, it doesn't make it right, but feeding your family with stolen items somehow "seems" a bit more "acceptable" than looting for resale. YMMV

The Costco model is pretty good. People at the exits checking receipts. Dick's Sporting Goods (Home Depot, Macy's, etc.) should have a guard at each exit with a receipt checker. If theft is such a big problem it probably would cost the store less money to employ these people than to continue to put up with "shrinkage" from theft.

The problem with "guards" is that they are no more authorized to stop theft than cashiers. They aren't armed - and if they were they would be accused of felonies if they used a gun to stop a person who was stealing.

I'm sure we don't hear of all the subsequent arrests made by the authorities following thefts, but I don't think cameras and witnesses are having much affect. After all, actually prosecuting such a case could tie up the judicial system for several days - and then judges would probably release "first time - caught - offenders."

Every day, there's another video of a gang looting a store with employees standing around and the cameras rolling to no (apparent) effect. Frustrating.

The problem with "guards" is that they are no more authorized to stop theft than cashiers. They aren't armed - and if they were they would be accused of felonies if they used a gun to stop a person who was stealing. <snip>

The local grocery store has recently added a guard with a gun at the exit. Or at least he has a gun case hanging from his belt.

I'm sure we don't hear of all the subsequent arrests made by the authorities following thefts, but I don't think cameras and witnesses are having much effect.

Two interesting sightings near me: Store 1, people checked out some items in self-checkout but ran out without paying for the rest. Guy at Customer Service counter looked up the order and found that they'd used EBT to pay for some items. He planned to report them. :D

Store 2, checkout clerk tactfully said to the woman in front of me, "Is that something under your purse in the cart? I'm sure you wouldn't want to forget to pay for it". She pulled out a bottle of shampoo and put it on the conveyor. He said, "This is $14- do you still want it?" She said yes. I really appreciated his approach.

Back
Top Bottom