Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the most part, I can't identify with most of it. But when I have had a few experiences like those in the OP, it's been easy to get around.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I've never experienced 5 and 6. These relatives sound awfully cheeky. I don't understand what is so sacred about relatives, that anyone has to let them annoy and take advantage, without giving back in some way (e.g. by being helpful or nice).

A.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2flyy View Post
5. Relatives outside my DW and kids, all of a sudden have a crisis and a need but love to criticize and state "What do you care? We aren't as "lucky" as you"..(LOL "luck"-Yes the leprechaun of money knocked on my door and gave it all to me)

6. Relatives only talk not listen. They look for an opportunity to interject the crisis or need for money;sometimes trying to manipulate so I can bring it up for them!
LOL. I remind family members that there will be a reduced financial support or cash gifts to them when I RE. I think they are rooting me to stay on my job.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Marko's neighbor made me think of a woman we met on vacation last year. She was going on at great length about all the things government should do for people, and DW asked her how those new services would get paid for.

Her response just floored us: "Don't you understand? The government has unlimited money!"

This was from a woman who has a well-paid job at a college.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Marko's neighbor made me think of a woman we met on vacation last year. She was going on at great length about all the things government should do for people, and DW asked her how those new services would get paid for.

Her response just floored us: "Don't you understand? The government has unlimited money!"

This is a very common perception. Try to explain what it would to to inflation, etc, and their eyes glaze over.

But it ties back to the OP. Like the govnmt, many people think retirees, especially early, have near unlimited resources. I think now I understand why so many scream "I'm on a fixed income!"
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Sure, they can just print more whenever they want!

Quote:

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
My observations at 48 years old Early Retired. I try to keep a low profile and not disclose anything but yet I am constantly reminded..

1. Contractors arrive and suddenly (because of the neighborhood's perceived wealth appearance) the price increases 20%.

2. I have heard this based on assumptions (not me divulging) "Retired? wow, you must have plenty of money"

3. Along with that.." What do you care about the cost? You have plenty of money"..(mostly contractors and tenants)

4. Long time "friends" have disappeared.

5. Relatives outside my DW and kids, all of a sudden have a crisis and a need but love to criticize and state "What do you care? We aren't as "lucky" as you"..(LOL "luck"-Yes the leprechaun of money knocked on my door and gave it all to me)

6. Relatives only talk not listen. They look for an opportunity to interject the crisis or need for money;sometimes trying to manipulate so I can bring it up for them!

7.No more donating...as a result: disappointment and getting burned. (I am not talking about charity as in volunteering).

I am open to any thoughts, suggestions, support or similar stories..as I adjust to retirement for me and my family; and learn lessons the hard way
That sounds miserable! And these do not sound like nice people to me. I have never had any of these things happen to me at all. I guess in my case, nobody that I encounter in real life has any way of knowing whether I am barely scraping by or doing nicely. I live in a median priced home in a middle class suburb of New Orleans. I don't drive a luxury car mostly because I don't especially want one. So how would they know?

In my case, I guess I have an advantage because I am 66 - - so, being retired is pretty much expected and doesn't mean that I am wealthy. Still, I wonder how any of these people know your financial status. If I met someone who was 48 and not working, my first thoughts would be, "OMG, that poor guy, he lost his job in the recession during what should be his peak earning years!"

Just as an aside, don't forget that inflation affects the labor costs for maintenance/improvements around the house, for everyone, not just you. Workmen have to buy food too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, and all that city water from the water fountains. And I took a pad of graph paper home once to use for class

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Don't forget about all the pencils, pens and sticky notes you consumed.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sure, they can just print more whenever they want!
They can and they have. I am waiting for my share to be fedex'd to my house. I am probably low on their priority list after government officials, contractors, foreign countries, ....
Old 01-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Then again, I did get to use the Government's toilet paper for 30+ years

Amethyst
It makes pretty decent sandpaper also...Yet another perk..
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...... I decided to donate $100 to a local thrift shop that buys thanksgiving turkeys for needy families.
If it makes you feel better, the turkey was deeeelicious.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This is a very common perception. Try to explain what it would to to inflation, etc, and their eyes glaze over.

But it ties back to the OP. Like the govnmt, many people think retirees, especially early, have near unlimited resources. I think now I understand why so many scream "I'm on a fixed income!"
Gal used to have people cry "fixed income!" when they were getting car repair quotes. She used to bat her eyes and say "wow -how nice for you - I have to work, and my income is not fixed".
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Watched so many people with #5,6 happining in their lives. Doesn't happen in our family, anymore, strict boundaries in the living generation. It amazes my what low depths some people resort to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #34

5 & 6 reminds me of a scene (or scenes) from "Nebraska" movie. When a main character's relatives mistakenly assume that one of their own won a lottery ticket, they behave accordingly a la 5 & 6 above.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #35

Quote:
My observations at 48 years old Early Retired. I try to keep a low profile and not disclose anything but yet I am constantly reminded..

1. Contractors arrive and suddenly (because of the neighborhood's perceived wealth appearance) the price increases 20%.

2. I have heard this based on assumptions (not me divulging) "Retired? wow, you must have plenty of money"

3. Along with that.." What do you care about the cost? You have plenty of money"..(mostly contractors and tenants)

4. Long time "friends" have disappeared.

7.No more donating...as a result: disappointment and getting burned. (I am not talking about charity as in volunteering).

I am open to any thoughts, suggestions, support or similar stories..as I adjust to retirement for me and my family; and learn lessons the hard way
1), 2), are just common business principles. It's how the marketplace works.

3) Is ordinary business ethics. At least in this country.

4) Who needs 'em any $&%#ing way? They won't be there when you need them. The money will.

5) & 6) I have relatives like that. Not all of them though. The one's who are that way I remember hearing doing that kind of moaning when I was a little boy, so not much has changed.

7) Not sure what you mean by this one
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

As a small business owner in a small town I can relate. I think it would be much easier if I wasn't in business in the town where I grew up and where my family is from. I've been extremely careful about wealth appearance, to the point of appearing like I'm almost struggling. People in a small town don't want to do business with someone who appears to be getting rich off of them (even though you earn every $$). I'll FIRE next year at 50, most of my friends are in their upper 50's and have no retirement planned at all, that concerns me. They all have a higher standard of living than I do (much) yet some seem a bit jealous when I share my plan with them. Family doesn't lean on me much, my one brother has already spent most of our parent's wealth, he's been "so unlucky" mostly due to his high spending, alcohol, drug use and lack of ambition. I've been the "lucky one" because I could hold a job. Volunteer activities have been a two edged sword. I've lost customers because I'm involved in certain civic organizations, church and our local Fire Dept. If people disagree with something one of them does they'll take it out on you personally. Working with the public in a small town for 30 years can take a lot out of you, that's been my focus on being able to FIRE all this time.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Grew up in a small town, and can understand. When I was in junior high, my Dad was a volunteer police officer who sometimes rode patrols with the Police Chief. After they arrested the father of one of my classmates for drunk driving, the kids in school were out to get ME.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
As a small business owner in a small town I can relate..... If people disagree with something one of them does they'll take it out on you personally. Working with the public in a small town for 30 years can take a lot out of you, that's been my focus on being able to FIRE all this time.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #38

Quote:

We must've met the same woman!
A friend of a friend (a college professor) was telling me about her experience with the 'free' health care in the UK.
I said: "well, it wasn't free...somebody paid for it". She said: "yes! the government!"
Old 01-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wait a minute... You can get contractors to "ARRIVE"?
I rarely get anything but an answering machine when I call a contractor. And even then, rare is the return call. And it seems less than half that I actually talk to come out for an estimate.
I've often wondered if I've been blackballed. I've never outright told them I have an opinion of them somewhere in the range of used car salesmen and members of congress, but maybe they sense I'm thinking it.
My apologies to FIRE'd contractors out there, leave me a message and I'll get back to you to discuss.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFUS View Post
I rarely get anything but an answering machine when I call a contractor. And even then, rare is the return call. And it seems less than half that I actually talk to come out for an estimate.
I used to wonder about this. Then I talked to my neighbor who was a local banker specializing in small business loans.

His reaction was to smile and say "This is why most small businesses remain small."