The survey says...

This is a ridiculous and bogus study. I can only imagine the chortling glee of the authors of this farce as it is picked up and spread around the internet. Among other things, the study asserts:

IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80
So to put this in context, the book Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls suggests an IQ of 90 is typical for people who find employment as manual laborers. Which would mean the study shows the AVERAGE IE6 user scores below the IQ range typical for basic manual labor. I don't believe it.

Likewise there are other similar assessments.

Kaufman, Alan S. Assessing Adolescent and Adult Intelligence. describes the typical occupations for IQ scores as follows:

WAIS-R Mean IQ Range + Occupational Category
110-112 Professional and technical
103-104 Managers, clerical, sales
100-102 Skilled workers
92-94 Semiskilled workers
87-89 Unskilled workers

So if the study it to be believed it would show that the average IE6 users is lower intelligence than typical unskilled workers.

Or to put this another way, look at educational accomplishments as described in Matarazzo, Joseph D. Wechsler's Measure and Appraisal of Adult Intelligence, 5th Edition.Oxford University Press,

IQ and Educational Equivalent
125 Mean of persons receiving Ph.D. and M.D. degrees
Mean of college graduates
Mean of high school graduates
Average for total population
About 50-50 chance of reaching ninth grade

Of course some unskilled workers are more intelligent than these sources suggest, but the study of IE6 users claims the AVERAGE is the astonishingly low IQ of 80, which puts them well under the average for High School graduates and only slightly ahead of people who barely finish middle school. I think the study authors are either making an elaborate joke or have made a great mistake in their methods. This result is nonsensical.

Over the years, I have moved from IE to Firefox to Safari. My willingness to embrace change denotes a higher IQ according to this study. It is of course no surprise to me because this "scientific" study had already established my superior intelligence:

It is finally proven: Apple users are more intelligent than PC users | Intelligent Elite

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Did my DH (still an Apple user, but only because his company early on made that decision for his department) pay you to post that?

Chrome and IE9. Chrome lately since it seems to have less bugs using Yahoo than IE8 or 9.

FF3.5.2 because upgrades are always among my lowest priorities. In fact I think I went from IE5 or IE6 to FF a couple years ago.

Now Google+ is whining that it can't possibly work with anything less than Chrome. Yet I have everything in FF tweaked just the way I like it.

This is a ridiculous and bogus study. I can only imagine the chortling glee of the authors of this farce as it is picked up and spread around the internet.
I think you may be missing the whole point of the study, but since you didn't fill out their website survey then we can't draw any IQ conclusions...

FF 5.0
Been using FF since 2003 or so and I have seen a few quirks along the way but it is head and shoulders better (for me) than IE.

Now they ought to do a IQ study on what ISPs folks use. That would be fun.

I think you may be missing the whole point of the study, but since you didn't fill out their website survey then we can't draw any IQ conclusions...
I thought I quoted the relevant point of the study. "IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80"

What did you think the whole point of the study was?

I used to wonder about IQ scores. Now you have me thinking about it again. IIRC, IQ means Intelligence Quotient, or the ratio of mental age to biological age, or mental maturity. I can see high IQ's in young people, but at some point doesn't your biological age catch up and you become 100 again?

I suppose that it is actually a ratio of an individual's measured intelligence compared to the average (or median) measured intelligence of the same age group. ("Intelligence" being measured by a standard test, for problem-solving ability, I imagine.) I am being lazy so I won't bother to Google it.

uhmmm only my government clients are asking me to still support ie6 and xp ...

I thought I quoted the relevant point of the study. "IE6 users have an average IQ score barely over 80"
What did you think the whole point of the study was?
Marketing & publicity!

Look at the attention it's attracted so far.

I wonder what Bill Gates and Paul Allen use?

Still on IE7 (had to check). My firm uses IE and I refuse to waste my limited IQ and time learning and managing two systems

Nobody uses Mosaic anymore?

I remember using Mosaic. The first browser I used at work. Was later superceded by Netscape Navigator there, then IE later.

Now Mosaic has gone back to being an art method and a plant virus again.

This has now been confirmed to be a hoax.
No matter how ridiculous the claims, and they were preposterous, it did attract plenty of attention.
For a minute there I almost thought you'd missed the point again...

Tune in next week when they share their new study of social-networking users on MySpace, LinkedIn, Facebook, & Google+.

Chrome for general browsing. IE8 for anything financial, and stuff that does not work in Chrome.

I remember using Mosaic. The first browser I used at work. Was later superceded by Netscape Navigator there, then IE later.

Now Mosaic has gone back to being an art method and a plant virus again.

Same order for me! Before that Archie ect

My IQ must be very low, since I have no idea. I use both Internet Exp. and Safari, depending what computer I'm on.

Back
Top Bottom