Annoying 'click continue to add the extension' pop up is just regular ad, or virus?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There is a website I use to see what movies are playing which sends out an annoying popup telling me to click on a big oval button with the word 'continue' on it, to download the app for something or other. Sometimes it says it is a 'pdf converter'.

Of course I never click on it.

I use an up to date Firefox browser.

I think I saw the same pop up in Ebay too.

It's not new, but I have been seeing it more and more lately. I can't remember if it was always present on that website.

The only antivirus I am running is Windows Defender and am on Windows 7.

I am not running any ad blocker.

It never pops up here in ER.org, thank goodness.

My question is : is this a virus or is it just another annoying pop up that is not a virus.

Thanks

There is a website I use to see what movies are playing which sends out an annoying popup telling me to click on a big oval button with the word 'continue' on it, to download the app for something or other. Sometimes it says it is a 'pdf converter'.

Of course I never click on it.

I use an up to date Firefox browser.

I think I saw the same pop up in Ebay too.

It's not new, but I have been seeing it more and more lately. I can't remember if it was always present on that website.

The only antivirus I am running is Windows Defender and am on Windows 7.

I am not running any ad blocker.

It never pops up here in ER.org, thank goodness.

My question is : is this a virus or is it just another annoying pop up that is not a virus.

Thanks

Post a screen shot of the pop-up so we can see the details.

I think most browsers can block popups.

Since you're using Firefox, take a look at this page:
Pop-up blocker settings, exceptions and troubleshooting

I already have pop up blocker on, so it's not blocking that particular one, apparently. But I will see what Firefox says about it. Thanks.

I went to a few other websites today, and didn't get the pop up, so maybe it only happens in certain websites.

edit to add. I read the Firefox page, and now I think the pop up is not a pop up 'window', and Firefox says it can't block that kind of ad.

Last edited:
... Of course I never click on it. ...
Better yet, stop going to that web site. You don't need a pdf converter from there. It is free because you are somehow the product. Phishing, trojans, identity theft, etc. One strike and the web site is out. There have to be other sites with the same information, like your local newspaper.

Last edited:
Better yet, stop going to that web site. You don't need a pdf converter from there. It is free because you are somehow the product. Phishing, trojans, identity theft, etc. One strike and the web site is out. There have to be other sites with the same information, like your local newspaper.

Thanks.

Yes, if it turns out that this pop up is only at certain websites, that's what I'll do. Yes, there are other websites that show what movies are playing, and I am checking them out now.

... Yes, if it turns out that this pop up is only at certain websites, that's what I'll do. Yes, there are other websites that show what movies are playing, and I am checking them out now.
If the pop-up is at more than one web site, that is a strong indication that your computer is infected somehow, that the pop-up is coming from within your computer and not from the web sites. Low probability IMO, but high impact. Seek expert help.

If the pop-up is at more than one web site, that is a strong indication that your computer is infected somehow, that the pop-up is coming from within your computer and not from the web sites. Low probability IMO, but high impact. Seek expert help.

Probably, but..

1) What's the website?
2) download/run Ad-Aware, MalwareBytes. You should be good.

Connecting to the internet from a computer running Windows 7 is playing with fire. Patches for bugs in that OS ended nearly 4 years ago. Time for a new PC. If all you use it for is to get online I would recommend a Chromebook or a tablet like an iPad.

Connecting to the internet from a computer running Windows 7 is playing with fire. Patches for bugs in that OS ended nearly 4 years ago. Time for a new PC. If all you use it for is to get online I would recommend a Chromebook or a tablet like an iPad.

^^
Excellent advice.

Back
Top Bottom