The World Owes Me a Living

It's not just Millennial generation,

I know of a woman, about 50, has a PhD in Comparative Literature from an Ivy League school. Has never held any job. Her occupation is collecting rent on the 2 crumbing rentals she inherited as she runs them into the ground by lack of maintenance.

This story will not end well.

So much for that -pride of ownership- theory

Supposedly I did everything wrong in life.

I attended a Community College and a third-rate upper-level university.

My undergraduate degree is in Journalism (liberal arts).

My first Master's degree was also non-STEM.

I married a man who didn't have money or connections.

I'm superstitious, sentimental, and tend to speak up when I shouldn't, and keep quiet when I should speak up.

Hmmm.

Last edited:
Supposedly I did everything wrong in life.

I attended a Community College and a third-rate upper-level university.

My undergraduate degree is in Journalism (liberal arts).

I married a man who didn't have money or connections.

I'm superstitious, sentimental, and tend to speak up when I shouldn't, and keep quiet when I should speak up.

Hmmm.

Is it too late for you to start over?:LOL:

Bwah-hah-ha!

Do you ever have those reveries where you think "If I suddenly found myself in my younger body circa 19XX, how would I proceed, given what I know now?"

I have, and frankly, I don't second-guess my younger self all that much. She did the very best she could, given what she had to work with at the time.:dance::dance:

Although, I would not have gone along with buying rental property again in 2003. I know why we did it, but even then I had serious misgivings.

Is it too late for you to start over?:LOL:

I gave up being a radio announcer or a guitarist in a rock band (not to mention double-naught spy or international playboy) because the odds of me making a “living” looked slim...

Thankfully, I chose a slightly more secure route, though with no chance of ever being a star of any sort.[emoji41]

A couple of guys I went to college with wanted to make it in sports, one the Olympics and the other the NBA. I just thought sure, small midwest school with no history of churning out pro athletes, what are the odds? Both made it! They are in my school's (very short) sports hall of fame listings. I guess I will never become famous at anything because I would look at the slim odds and not even try.

I have been very fortunate, in that the things I wanted to do and could do successfully happened to be relatively well compensated. I'd like to live in a society that also finds a way to have poets and artists and musicians.

A couple of guys I went to college with wanted to make it in sports, one the Olympics and the other the NBA. I just thought sure, small midwest school with no history of churning out pro athletes, what are the odds? Both made it! They are in my school's (very short) sports hall of fame listings. I guess I will never become famous at anything because I would look at the slim odds and not even try.

Yeah... the sports thing rings a bell. Gave my failing memory a nudge to look back at the transition from school to the rest of my life. Forgive a few moments of ego:
The college years were a mix of hard study, my continued long distance romance with jeanie, and an average of 3 hours a day working out, every day of the year. My sport was swimming. Sadly, no opportunity for a professional future.
After three years of high school swimming, where I was on the All-american team every year, and first in the nation as a senior... on to college, where I was on the AA team for four years. Topped off by a third in the NCAA's in my junior year and a close second as a senior... I missed the 56 Melbourne Olympic and Pan Am games in Mexico in 1957 because I had to work those summers as I dropped to a grade average of B- and lost $300 from my scholarship.

Then... graduation in 1958. A side ways offer to become coach of my college team in the following year when my coach retired. that was not to be. Graduated in June, married in July... off to IOLC (ROTC version of OCS) and a new baby the following May.

Though a medical school scholarship was offered, no way to afford it with a family, so the best offer came from the Sears Roebuck Management school, that set the job course in retail for the rest of my years before retirement. $90/week wasn't bad in those days, and just as much as my dad was making at the time.
..........................................end of brag.

Let's see... hmmm... the subject was "The world owes me a living"... oh well!
:angel:

I thought about majoring in a liberal art (English) long ago and becoming a writer, but I figured I needed something to fall back on that would provide me some money in the meantime. I picked that alternative career primarily out of interest, rather than a desire to make money, but employability was definitely part of the equation. Naturally, that "fall back" path turned into my actual career.

Artists serve a very important function in society, and they're sometimes wonderful people. I don't like the "going on the dole" aspect, though, because to me, the idea of being an artist is coupled with the idea of "starving artist" and is bound up with the sense that being an artist is a Calling, similar in some ways to the priesthood -- you accept that you will suffer deprivations for your craft, you won't have (or care about) the things other people do, you have a higher purpose. It also means I have to work to support you.

But that's not a big deal. There are certainly more objectionable cases of relying on government assistance than this. I won't go there, though.

I recall a teacher from my junior high days many many years ago saying "the world does owe you a living BUT you have to work for it".

Comments?

Seems like a contradiction.

Last edited:
A classmate of my then 17 year old niece, told her I'm picking that school because they have a sport media/journalism degree and I want to be an anchor for ESPN...good luck with that one buddy...

First, Starting at a community college (I did also) is one way to avoid thousands in debt so seems very right to me. Sounds like you went technical for a second graduate degree. That’s great, me too. It worked out for me. Work paid for much of it.

I think you might be missing the point. I don’t recall you ever complaining about $XXX of student debt and how you couldn’t find a job. Coming from a ‘less than ideal’ family situation and poorer than a church mouse I always felt it was a miracle and I was blessed I was able to get a college education. I graduated with 5 grand of debt in 1977 (20 something thousand in todays dollars). I didn’t complain i just paid it off. What bothers me is you don’t. have to amass a huge pile of debt to go to a great school. Its all about shopping carefully with an endgame in sight.

My son is doing well in physics of all things.. He said maybe “ill get out of computer science and focus on it.” I asked him “well what would you do with a degree in physics?” I said i think you may need a masters to find employment. The point was my 19 year old hadn’t done the homework. He’s learning but still has a way to go.. oh and by the by he’s still a computer science major.

There’s an article in money magazine that list median debt by school - there are some super buys out there. get some great grades in community college and the ‘worlds your oyster’

RIP

There’s an article in money magazine that list median debt by school - there are some super buys out there. get some great grades in community college and the ‘worlds your oyster’

RIP

And scholarships are not always for the needy.
Need-Blind Admission
Bowdoin practices need-blind admission. Need-blind means that the ability to pay the College's tuition and fees is not part of the decision to admit a student. The College seeks highly motivated students who are interested in an undergraduate experience that will allow them to explore their academic interests and contribute to a vibrant residential community. Those students come from a wide variety of family backgrounds and economic circumstances, and Bowdoin believes in creating opportunity for all students regardless of family income.

The average Bowdoin College award for incoming students was $50,284

https://www.bowdoin.edu/academic-handbook/admission-to-the-college/financial-aid.html

For anyone looking forward to their child's education, I would recommend the website "Niche" for schools, ratings, scholarships and virtually anything that relates to education. Very much in depth studies for housing and employment, too.

https://www.niche.com/

Go to the site for ratings of your home town too... Just input your zip code. Mine is a B+ and our last home in Lisle, is an A+.

Last edited:
I got the second Master's in my 50's. Path to FIRE was already set; the degree had no effect one way or the other. I was just following a line of education that appealed to me at that time.

I miss no points. I simply do not share every detail of my life story on line. Some, indeed, would say I share too much as it is.

(Along that vein, I have more insight into what "young people today" are up against, than someone reading my forum posts might think).

As for the community college, well, I had a good time. I was poor; so were most of the other students, so I fit right in. I was 16 when I started. The administration did a double-take at my SAT scores and put me in all advanced classes, where I earned straight A's. I worked on the school paper, had a summer job on campus, and a pretty active social life too.

On the forum, I see a lot of angst about "If my child doesn't shape up, he might have to go to a community college!" as if it will ruin his life....Whereas I know some highly capable GS-15s who didn't attend college at all. They are FIREd now, too.

Sounds like you went technical for a second graduate degree.

I think you might be missing the point. I don’t recall you ever complaining about $XXX of student debt and how you couldn’t find a job. Coming from a ‘less than ideal’ family situation and poorer than a church mouse I

RIP

Is there a big reason why he won't be able to realize his dream, or something close to it?

A classmate of my then 17 year old niece, told her I'm picking that school because they have a sport media/journalism degree and I want to be an anchor for ESPN...good luck with that one buddy...

What an interesting site! My ZIP got an A+, but a B- for night life (I can't understand why it got higher than a D in that area!)

]

For anyone looking forward to their child's education, I would recommend the website "Niche" for schools, ratings, scholarships and virtually anything that relates to education. Very much in depth studies for housing and employment, too.

https://www.niche.com/

Go to the site for ratings of your home town too... Just input your zip code. Mine is a B+ and our last home in Lisle, is an A+.

Is there a big reason why he won't be able to realize his dream, or something close to it?

Buddy of mine son was a die hard college, then concussion retired hockey player. Got a Sports management degree- Getting a job that pays any real money was very difficult - it is a very tuff row to hoe.

My neohew changed his major from business to theater and a year after he moved to LA has a role in a CBS TV series next week. He might get no further but he will never wonder what if.

I gave up being a radio announcer or a guitarist in a rock band (not to mention double-naught spy or international playboy) because the odds of me making a “living” looked slim...

Hoo boy, radio was exceptional fun but feast-or-famine to the extreme. A guy who started out at my old station did pretty well, though -- Brandmeier | The Jonathon Brandmeier Show

My neohew changed his major from business to theater and a year after he moved to LA has a role in a CBS TV series next week. He might get no further but he will never wonder what if.

Good for him! Following a dream isn't necessarily a formula for failure.

My nephew changed his major from business to theater and a year after he moved to LA has a role in a CBS TV series next week. He might get no further but he will never wonder what if.

That last sentence is what one of my nieces said of her degree in Dance from the University of MD, College Park. She wanted to be a Rockette. Never made it, but she did get a job with Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus for several years and traveled the world that way, was an entertainment director on a cruise ship for a while, and a bunch of other oddjob entertainment type gigs over the years. She never did make it to NYC and be a Rockette.

She is now in her mid to late 50's and works as an underemployed and flat broke process server in Las Vegas. If she ever stops working she will subsist on SS and whatever other public benefits she may qualify for.

But she will never wonder "What if". Now she knows.

Buddy of mine son was a die hard college, then concussion retired hockey player. Got a Sports management degree- Getting a job that pays any real money was very difficult - it is a very tuff row to hoe.

Hmm, call me a skeptic. DD graduated U Delaware with sports management. Interned for 4 months in Melbourne, Australia where she received mutiple job offers and played premier league volleyball. Currently attending Trinity College in Dublin for her master's in Management. Also playing premier league volleyball there. Employers are literally knocking down the doors of Trinity grads. Good school apparently. She has zero debt and aprox 40K saved. She used my gibill for most of her education along with scholarships. Will she be a high six figure megacorp exec? Probably not. Is she extremely happy with her choice of undergrad major? Yes. "Dad, for Christmas can you get me a copy of your favorite finance book?" "Sure DD".

I personally know numerous folks who earn lots of "real money" and are living paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited:
My son is doing well in physics of all things.. He said maybe “ill get out of computer science and focus on it.” I asked him “well what would you do with a degree in physics?” I said i think you may need a masters to find employment. The point was my 19 year old hadn’t done the homework. He’s learning but still has a way to go.. oh and by the by he’s still a computer science major.

I worked in Aerospace early in my career and we had physics majors with just a BS degree working in our department. The projects we worked on were laser/optics systems, I would think there's still a need for someone with a similar education background today.

“DD graduated U Delaware with sports management. Interned for 4 months in Melbourne, Australia where she received mutiple job offers and played premier league volleyball.”

This kid also went to U of D and worked for 2 hockey franchises .. no real money moved to marketing. Seems to like his current gig.

Good for you daughter.. if she likes what shes doing...great school hopefully she wont have to work like an investment banker when she graduates.

‘I personally know numerous folks who earn lots of "real money" and are living paycheck to paycheck.’ Who doesnt? Spenders come in all income levels.

I hope i didnt give the wrong impression we live and advocate living simply.. if you do a little bit of $ goes a long way...

I don’t see what’s wrong with that. It’s great to be inspired and have ambition. Plenty of sports reporting goes on. And there are plenty of sports related opportunities they can move into if they have to adjust as they advance their career - heck even marketing!

I don’t see what’s wrong with that. It’s great to be inspired and have ambition. Plenty of sports reporting goes on. And there are plenty of sports related opportunities they can move into if they have to adjust as they advance their career - heck even marketing!

And sports medicine. Not being sarcastic, it’s very relevant.

Yes, the path from news/sports journalism to marketing is well-trodden.

Back
Top Bottom